• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Where do I start

8 minutes ago, HDDS123 said:

What's gucci lmao exciting times ahead 

It's a poor man's Tempore Lux.

Seriously, you've heard of Gucci? Outside of watches they are quite a well known brand. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gucci?wprov=sfla1

For what it is worth, if your plan is to buy and sell watches, rather than buy and enjoy (even if its enjoy for a while and then eventually sell) I would split that £300 budget into at least 6 £50 watches. Its harder to lose big on the cheaper end, and when buying make sure you first watch a few of the same watch end without you bidding so that you know what a likely selling price is, then look to buy that watch make and model when an auction looks to be ending below the benchmark price you have seen.

Losing money is the easiest thing in the world, and watches are like training wheels for people unsure they are capable of losing money, watches literally make the easiest thing in the world....easier!

Edited by Bricey
Link
  • Like 1

Yea honestly I love gucci I bought loads from benidorm last year lol but seriously I appreciate your comments I think I'm gonna trying that say 50 pounds max for each 1 and if I lose it all then its a learning curve 

If your thought is to try and buy and sell with a view to one day owning your Richard Mille as you say and you wish to buy and sell your way up to that starting with £300 then all the very best but tis a tall order. 

Its the equivalent of me going on pistonheads and saying how do I make money at this car game I hope to one day own an Aston Martin and I have £300 to buy an MOT failure and get to work. 

The thing is with my analogy you could put time and effort into cleaning up cars and making a hard earned profit. 

Watches, mmmmm not so easy. With £300 you might grab a bargain reduced from £600 with 50% off. But then what try and punt it on to someone who will imediately do a google search and find that age old issue where not much sells for RRP. If you watch H Samuel for example youll see the same watches on sale constantly. They win by people popping on and paying full price, and having to reduce them to shift the hundreds they have bought. 

If you sell me a watch on the bay there is no gurantee anymore, I have no comeback, your not a retailer etc. 

You might be better using your core skills to earn money however you earn a living and save up for a watch. 

I wouldnt buy a Richard Mille though youll lose a stack of that hard earned cash if you ever want to sell it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HDDS123 said:

Yea honestly I love gucci I bought loads from benidorm last year lol but seriously I appreciate your comments I think I'm gonna trying that say 50 pounds max for each 1 and if I lose it all then its a learning curve 

Benidorm is the European capital of fake goods with Gucci being one of the most common 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, JoT said:

Benidorm is the European capital of fake goods with Gucci being one of the most common 

A cricket chum of mine bought a "Gucci" from a "store" on the Calle Gerona there and it actually popped like popcorn on the plane home.  His "amazing bargain" 200 Euro watch was just junk... Still to this day trying to think of a reason it perished the way it did :hmmm9uh:

This is for sure a wind up, this is 100% @Roy on a spoof account trying to get a rise out of us all... nobody "real" is this stupid. 

No idea about watches other than the beach stuff in Benidorm, wants to buy watches to make money. :laughing2dw: 

Story checks out... 

To anyone genuinely looking to do it, you need a grounding in the industry first- some technical knowledge or a foot in the door with a dealer.  

I started by buying knackered kinetic watches, replacing the capacitors myself and flipping them on again. £50 starting capital 15 years ago, some zeros on that now.  I did open my own jewellery shop though. I suppose that helps. :laugh:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

This is for sure a wind up, this is 100% @Roy on a spoof account trying to get a rise out of us all... nobody "real" is this stupid. 

It’s not me Kev but there are some similarities to this post and a banned members posts :hmmm9uh:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Genuinely haven't ever been on here before I was looking for some advice on how to get my foot in the door as you said and it seems like u managed ok opening your own shop so there's still hope for me even though it's been 15 years for you it's my time now. And also the benidorm part was a massive joke I lived there for 6 years it was just banter 

On 05/05/2021 at 19:16, midnitemo said:

I'm sure if there were a surefire scheme or system to trade watches at a lower level and generate good returns then nobody in their right mind is going to divulge it to a (no insult intended) stranger

Those of us of a certain age will recall the "Horace Batchelor Infra-Draw method" which, although it sounds like a contraceptive technique,  was in fact an alleged way to win the football pools.  It was advertised on Radio Luxembourg.  You had to write to Mr Batchelor in Keynsham ( spelt K E Y N S H A M), to get details.  Of course, if you had a system that worked why would you tell anyone else?!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Eaglegale said:

Those of us of a certain age will recall the "Horace Batchelor Infra-Draw method" which, although it sounds like a contraceptive technique,  was in fact an alleged way to win the football pools.  It was advertised on Radio Luxembourg.  You had to write to Mr Batchelor in Keynsham ( spelt K E Y N S H A M), to get details.  Of course, if you had a system that worked why would you tell anyone else?!

"I have personally won over ..."

• Haha 1

On 05/05/2021 at 13:04, deano1956 said:

Really ,so you are the 1 %:laugh:,

deano

Gucci Dive lifts brand's UK growth to the highest heights

Come on, if it wasn't for their women's accessories nobody would know anything about them. Gucci equals overpriced Chinese garbage. And even more overpriced generic Swiss junk.

Edited by JayDeep

On 08/05/2021 at 08:52, JayDeep said:

Come on, if it wasn't for their women's accessories nobody would know anything about them. Gucci equals overpriced Chinese garbage. And even more overpriced generic Swiss junk.

that may be true jay but you have heard of them which was my point! my gucci man bag goes well with my sandals thank  you very much  :laugh: :biggrin:, may be overpriced and swiss junk but have you owned one ? 

deano

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MaxW said:

A confusing thread

I think maybe enthusiasm coupled with the idea of making money made them come in hard with size 20 shoes. He's right in thinking that knowledge can help you become a dealer (but there's a big difference between advice and knowledge) but experience and contacts are probably the things you need most to create a business out of watches.