• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I'm looking to start buying and selling watches, and I have a budget of £300. What type of watch should I be looking at buying in order to make a profit to start thing's off?  Any help is much appreciated 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry I will start again. This forum is more about watch appreciation amongst watch enthusiasts. You may struggle to obtain advice on which watches to buy/sell as members on here don't take to well to

There is no £300 watch that can be guaranteed appreciation for resale value. You want to buy watches that you can make a predictable profit on, there's no such thing.

You should be looking at Tempore Lux divers, ideally big massive black ones, they are the watches that you should be searching through Ebay for and buying up at all costs to add to your inventory. 

2 hours ago, HDDS123 said:

I'm looking to start buying and selling watches, and I have a budget of £300. What type of watch should I be looking at buying in order to make a profit to start thing's off?  Any help 

Sorry I will start again. This forum is more about watch appreciation amongst watch enthusiasts. You may struggle to obtain advice on which watches to buy/sell as members on here don't take to well to these types of posts.

I would suggest you go online for that type of info and whilst you are on here enjoy the love of watches and learn more that way.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Craftycockney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

What you have to do is spend a lot of time learning how to spot "sleepers".. find watches advertised as "gold plated" that are really solid gold and melt this gold down or sell it for scrap gold to a goldsmith.

Another way is to extract the "jewels" from the movements of broken watches. These are sapphire and ruby and although they are small, they can be joined together and forged into larger gems by master horologists.

By the time you get to this point you will have enough cash to start trading Rolex -> F.P. Journe -> Patek Philippe -> Roger Dubuis. 

I myself have 6 Patek Philippe.. I am just waiting on the batteries for them arriving from eBay then I can pass them on for a couple of Roger Dubuis. I should have enough money by that point to buy myself a new TV :thumbs_up:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

There is no £300 watch that can be guaranteed appreciation for resale value. You want to buy watches that you can make a predictable profit on, there's no such thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

You should be looking at Tempore Lux divers, ideally big massive black ones, they are the watches that you should be searching through Ebay for and buying up at all costs to add to your inventory. 

(Keep quiet lads, I got this)

• Haha 6

Assuming this is a genuine post [ and not a previous member of the forum who is just bored ] then my response is that you would be better off buying a nice watch to wear as you drive around earning tonnes of cash as an Amazon delivery driver.

• Agree 3
30 minutes ago, HDDS123 said:

Well I wasn't expecting any of these replies sounds like every one on here is just having a bit of fun with nothing else to do well thanks for your feedback 

Well as they say, ' Ask a silly question ... ' :biggrin:

35 minutes ago, HDDS123 said:

Well I wasn't expecting any of these replies sounds like every one on here is just having a bit of fun with nothing else to do well thanks for your feedback 

Some of the replies were a bit direct, perhaps – I was actually alluding to that with a little gentle irony in my own post. However, I think the best argument was stated in the second response you received. We are watch enthusiasts, it’s why we joined the forum, whereas you expressed no enthusiasm at all for watches but simply poled up asking “How do I make money out of this?” It’s a steep learning curve, you probably need to do some research.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I'm sure if there were a surefire scheme or system to trade watches at a lower level and generate good returns then nobody in their right mind is going to divulge it to a (no insult intended) stranger

57 minutes ago, HDDS123 said:

Well yes.

But you have to understand that there are no clear cut ways to start trading upwards in watches to make money from it. 

Perhaps if you invest £50,000 and wait 20 years (or get very lucky) you might be able to double your investment. 

People have seen that question so many times it has become laughable. Most of us collect watches because we like them.. selling them forwards gains nothing but a loss (most of the time). Simply put.. it would be a bad career move. 

Edited by SolaVeritate
Just now, HDDS123 said:

I totally understand sorry for the inconvenience 

No inconvenience mate. The members on this forum are a nice bunch and will offer help and advice where they can.

Im sure it is possible to buy and sell watch for profit and some do it quite successfully. I’d wager however that there is a steep learning curve and your just as likely to buy a few lemons along the way.

Im not really a collector, more a dabbler and I myself have bought some ‘wrong uns’. Having said that, I’ve also bought a few peaches.

It’s all very trial and error.

With your £300 budget you can buy yourself a nice watch and I hope you wear it in good health.

Really appreciate your kind words and I'm sure I will find more lemons than peaches lol but I absolutely love everything about watches and I hope 1 day to own a richard mille but hey we can all dream lol 

3 minutes ago, HDDS123 said:

I hope 1 day to own a richard mille but hey we can all dream lol 

Man, that wouldn’t be a dream – it would be a bloody nightmare! I’ll stick to Vacheron after the horlicks! :laugh:

• Agree 1

i am the worst person to advise on how to make money out of watches:biggrin: but what i will say and it was true for me, the only time i made money on my watches was when i bought and sold my "guccis" yes its a fashion watch but there is / was demand , i bought and sold on e bay , £300 is gucci territory , just saying, but that was before i came here and started down the rabbit hole  :laugh: :laugh:

deano

Edited by deano1956

I think our patron relatively recently reminded people to post regularly if they wanted to enjoy the privilege of posting in the sales corner.

Nothing wrong with trying to generate a little profit from your future collecting given many flip to trade up, buy low sell high :teethsmile:

2 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I'd rather have a purnell escape 11 or a mb&f lm thunderdome

than a gucci? so would i but can you make profit on them and will 99% of non watch people know what they are, but i bet they will know the gucci brand.

deano

• Agree 1