• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The most impressive watch you've bought

Doesn't matter the reasoning, but what is the most impressive watch you've bought recently?

For me it's the Bulova Oceanographer.

I've tried all sorts of green dial watches and was on the hunt. Nothing impressed me until the Oceanographer! Don't get me wrong, my buddies Hulk Rolex was fantastic, but for the money... Lol nah. I can do better for less and get more for my money. So I did!

This thing is extremely impressive! The fit and finish are top notch. The vintage styling is to die for. The profile is chunky diver in every way, very Doxaesque! This thing is a sleeper grail watch!

• Like 3

For me it has to be (takes a deep breath) my Larrson & Jennings Norse mechanical.

I have recently bought a Ball that I love, and an Eterna which, whilst currently back at the shop for a repair, is a lovely looking watch.

But for £120 in brand new condition the L&J has been a revelation.

1620106981241634951684784092001.thumb.jpg.5d36beedd9dbe703a50af5f4a9555b68.jpg

So comfortable, a beautiful deep texture on the dial, different to every other watch I have (or have previously had) and a real joy to wear.

20210502_004907.thumb.jpg.1a4a4e588b256a2ca04fb2edcdbaaad1.jpg

Only the CK infinity I had a few years ago has come close to surpassing expectation by so much (both probably benefitted from me having lowish expectations before they arrived).

20210422_112043.thumb.jpg.b4c966271838d2e1ae952ea045688fb7.jpg

I know it won't be to everyone's liking, I know that the name on the dial will turn some off before even giving it the time of day, but for me it is a keeper and a watch that makes me smile just to think about it.

20210502_004713.thumb.jpg.0b06a7e6b5ca791cd06038994851c531.jpg

Edited by Bricey
Typo
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

@JayDeep

The Oceanographer over the engraved?

I like the Oceanographer but that engraved watch is a think of beauty and deserves the "impressive" tag imo.

Yes but that's more about the engraving than the watch.

• Like 1

Just now, JayDeep said:

Yes but that's more about the engraving than the watch.

Surely you can't separate the watch and the engraving (at least without a tub of pollyfiller*)!

* and please don't! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

Surely you can't separate the watch and the engraving (at least without a tub of pollyfiller*)!

* and please don't! :laughing2dw:

I can't physically, but I can categorically, figuratively. Yes the engraving is the most impressive thing I've ever seen done period, watches or otherwise. But for just a watch, straight up from the dealer, the Oceanographer is unbeatable!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

at least without a tub of pollyfiller*

Why do I sense a bunch of parrot jokes coming up here? 

Why do budgies not take painkillers? Because parrots eat ‘em all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

For me it would be my Victorinox.  A step away from my usual automatics but I can't fault it for appearance, colour and finishing. large.20210430_110303.jpg.b7b61776224529d214fe79d87e612203.jpglarge.20210221_085110.jpg.4184be1dc39a0459074cce2c4ed2e920.jpg

Really dig the bracelet.

54 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Really dig the bracelet.

You can't tell from these pictures, but the chamfers on each link are polished, which really highlights the brushed bracelet. It's just a small detail but works very well, matching the chamfers on the bezel.

Probably the most impressive watch in my collection is this G-Shock Carbon Core:

20200519_150016

Obviously loaded with the usual G-Shock features (none of which I will ever use...) including Bluetooth/timer/stopwatch/alarms etc, but more important is the build quality and finish to the case and bracelet. An absolutely stunning looking thing on the wrist, with a decent weight but not over the top heavy, thanks to the carbon core.

20200519_145923

:yahoo:

• Like 2

This..

large.20210402_015742.jpg.23b03426f79364c3f7217bc73edc99e9.jpg

But it stuck and broke. It still plays on my horological heart strings. I wish I had the money to fix it but I have more things to collect. It is the only piece that is still in my collection box that doesn't tick. It's "quietly waiting" to get its heart beating again. :wub:

My second choice is my Ricoh.. its a fighter! It refuses to automatically wind and has since turned into a manual wind. The button to forward the date is 'sticky'. I promised it I would get it a nice bracelet if it kept time and it succeed. 

The housing has been attacked by an uncaring scrupulous seller and it has been rescued from the hands of a horological horror out for profit to live again, some more, to fulfil its purpose and give warmth to the heart of its wearer.

large.20210427_110000.jpg.f2d6757cf4a595e8d3a357ce0edf7638.jpg

Edit.. and has now become my watch for tomorrow..

Edited by SolaVeritate
Reason for edit.. the beating heart of the underdog!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

Probably the most impressive watch in my collection is this G-Shock Carbon Core:

20200519_150016

Obviously loaded with the usual G-Shock features (none of which I will ever use...) including Bluetooth/timer/stopwatch/alarms etc, but more important is the build quality and finish to the case and bracelet. An absolutely stunning looking thing on the wrist, with a decent weight but not over the top heavy, thanks to the carbon core.

20200519_145923

:yahoo:

I concur. :thumbsup:

Additional features are:-

Bluetooth printing

HD cameras front and back

Dual Zone Climate Control

Central locking & Cruise Control

• Haha 2

the Watch i'm most pleased by of late was my Hamilton Khaki field in a PVD bronze  effect , the colour was a little bright and fake looking to start with but it settled into a lovely old copper english coin colour very quickly , i wasn't expecting the change but i love it , sadly i have no picture of it shiny new.

Hamilton  Khaki field pvd 2019.JPG

Not sit that any of my watches have been impressive.

However, if I think about those that left a lasting impression on me then it would these these two:

Orient Sea King SK Watch

Claro Beach Star Watch

Neither of these were particularly valuable but I do kick myself on a regular basis for flipping them.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mrzee said:

Not sit that any of my watches have been impressive.

However, if I think about those that left a lasting impression on me then it would these these two:

Orient Sea King SK Watch

Claro Beach Star Watch

Neither of these were particularly valuable but I do kick myself on a regular basis for flipping them.

That square piece is phenomenal. What is it?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My 1946 Omega Cal. 30.10 auto.  It's become a collection killer.

IMG_20210505_191725217(1)(1).thumb.jpg.f62b1a073638b78e2bcb07ba182121fc.jpg

I used to like wearing different watches every day, now I like wearing the same one every day.

18mm single pass strap from Vintagewatchstraps.

There's a good distance between the spring bars and the case, and the case back has a slight chamfer at the lugs just perfect for these 2mm RAF style NATO type straps to thread through.  Watch is nice and thin so it still sits low on the wrist, even with the strap run behind it.

Oh, it keeps good time, too 

Alright.. I have not purchased this but I just saw this on a review and its insane! Rolex Daytona 116506 absolutely blows my mind. It is so beautiful but I am not sure about that price point for me... 138k + is a little steep for me for just one watch. Whatre your thoughts on this one, let me know. Would you buy this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Edward Norton said:

Alright.. I have not purchased this but I just saw this on a review and its insane! Rolex Daytona 116506 absolutely blows my mind. It is so beautiful but I am not sure about that price point for me... 138k + is a little steep for me for just one watch. Whatre your thoughts on this one, let me know. Would you buy this? 

Yup, a "friend" of mine (aka ex coworker who sucks as everything in life except making money and is a gigantic tool bag) owns one and let me wear it for a week. It's as amazing as it appears. The dial is to die for, bit the rest, unfortunately, is rather mundane and run-of-the-mill. I wish I could afford one though, because I would, for that dial alone.

9 hours ago, Edward Norton said:

Whatre your thoughts on this one, let me know. Would you buy this?

No, screw-down pushers on a watch meant for racing is patently ridiculous.

Edited by artistmike
  • Haha 1