• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Inheritance

Hi folks.

I just inherited a £1000 from a relative and would like to buy a nice vintage watch as a momento.

I mainly feed my habit on eBay, but on this occasion I would like to buy from a decent dealer. Does anyone have any recommendations?

All the very best

If you give more information on what your after if might help others recommend. 

Do you wish to simply buy a watch you like?

Or are you aiming to buy something that is in some way associated with your relative. Where they male or female. What era where they from. Did they do a job that might guide you. Where they at sea so a marine chronometer. Where they sporty, business like. Did they like gold or not. Did they have a favorite colour. 

This could all help guide a watch type to go for and then get you a firm recomendation for a dealer. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Chrono24 is something to just browse through with greater security than ebay insofar as the payments are done escrow.

The payments theoretically have greater security than the Bay [ not certainly not after the sale has completely ]  , but the sales on Chrono24 are certainly not endowed with greater security per se .... also , buying through the Bay will have import taxes  pre-factored if using the eBay international shipping program .. Personally at the moment, I would buy on the Bay before Chrono24 for non UK purchases ..

• Like 1

With the Buyer Protection policies now in place on eBay, I have no conserns buying there at all. 

I've bought some very expensive pieces on there and with good communication back and forth with the sellers, transactions have gone smoothly. 

Based on your aims, I'd go for an Omega from the bay, good research obviously assumed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I would make the cost of the watch up to £1000, and spend a bit of time looking at your options. I had an identical situation a few years back, and ended up with what is probably my favourite watch, and it cost less than £400. There is a lot of good stuff out there, you just need to take a bit of time and patience to spot it. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GoronVor said:

Hi folks.

I just inherited a £1000 from a relative and would like to buy a nice vintage watch as a momento.

I mainly feed my habit on eBay, but on this occasion I would like to buy from a decent dealer. Does anyone have any recommendations?

All the very best

Have a look at www.birthyearwatches.com. Run by a respected member of this forum.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

No idea how old you might be, but birth year watch? 

2 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Have a look at www.birthyearwatches.com. Run by a respected member of this forum.

Beat me to it!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, apm101 said:

No idea how old you might be, but birth year watch? 

Beat me to it!

The OP is looking for a vintage watch to remember the relative that left the money  and birthyear watches may well have something to fit the bill. Generally, any watch that is 20 years old is classified as vintage (at 100 years they become antique).

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, richy176 said:

The OP is looking for a vintage watch to remember the relative that left the money  and birthyear watches may well have something to fit the bill. Generally, any watch that is 20 years old is classified as vintage (at 100 years they become antique).

Making me a Vintage man with an antique hip!

14 hours ago, Dilly said:

If you give more information on what your after if might help others recommend. 

Do you wish to simply buy a watch you like?

Or are you aiming to buy something that is in some way associated with your relative. Where they male or female. What era where they from. Did they do a job that might guide you. Where they at sea so a marine chronometer. Where they sporty, business like. Did they like gold or not. Did they have a favorite colour. 

This could all help guide a watch type to go for and then get you a firm recomendation for a dealer. 

Cheers

Cheers for the reply.

I want a watch I like. Steel cased suits my taste. Love the look of the Omega Seamasters. A watch to cherish and pass down. Take my collection up a notch. Something classic and non showy. 

Trevor

Also, don't underestimate having a trip out to your local city center and bouncing around your jewelers shops. They will have nice deals, second hand watches, old stock. Right now, after lockdown, they will want to get things moving again for their business. 

There's also the fact you can handle the pieces, haggle the price, get the size fitted professionally, you are guaranteed they are genuine and will get a "bricks and mortar" warranty.

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2021 at 05:11, JayDeep said:

What do you want? Automatic, manual or quartz? What decade do you want it from? I need way more details to make any recommendation this isn't completely random.

Automatic from the 60s would suit me

4 minutes ago, GoronVor said:

I like the second watch a lot, but have been bitten before when buying from the USA. 

You could threaten to send @JayDeep round to sort them out if they mess you about. He carries a gun and does not appear to be someone that should be triffled with :shothead:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bricey said:

You could threaten to send @JayDeep round to sort them out if they mess you about. He carries a gun and does not appear to be someone that should be triffled with :shothead:

It tends to be the import duty that stings!

Not possible to shoot my way out of those.

• Haha 1

Thank you for the recommendations :notworthy:

As well as Omega I would suggest Longines.  At the time they were as good, if not better than their competitor Omega.  And while Omega prices have boomed on the past few years Longines have increased, but not as much.  50's and 60's Longines are excellent

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GoronVor said:

It tends to be the import duty that stings!

Not possible to shoot my way out of those.

I just imported this from the US and couldn’t be happier. Tracked it from pillar to post, USPS to Royal Mail. Had great communication. There’s no import duty, only VAT at 20% and I’ve found even with that taken into account, US prices are a lot lower at the moment. My IWC was 25% cheaper than UK retailers I could find. 

dsRPcqA.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, MD770 said:

I just imported this from the US and couldn’t be happier. Tracked it from pillar to post, USPS to Royal Mail. Had great communication. There’s no import duty, only VAT at 20% and I’ve found even with that taken into account, US prices are a lot lower at the moment. My IWC was 25% cheaper than UK retailers I could find. 

dsRPcqA.jpg

How much was that beauty?