• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

GMT needed

I'm looking for something to fill a spot in my box, a GMT.

Color: I'm open, but really prefer dimension and design.

Price: Less than $4000.

Movement: anything

Size: prefer 40-42mm diameter, open to 38-44mm.

Style: Sport/diver and casual, no dress need apply ever.

• Like 1

Well below your budget, but my first thought was one of the new CW's

https://www.christopherward.com/sport-new/c63-sealander-gmt/C63-39AGM3-S00K0-B0.html

Sporty, well made, a lot of watch per $$$$, gmt, although only 39mm.

Another that is a little on the small side for you again at 39mm would be this beauty

https://amjwatches.co.uk/grand-seiko-watch-sport-quartz-gmt-sbgn003g.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakgWQM-w0u4OSwGenyvD_b_A5NxLOvkyNxFSVi1MvhPAjSTuVS21d1caAtQ6EALw_wcB

And then, coming in at 41mm, we'll under the top end of the budget, and with your favoured blue dial red accents set up:

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/longines-watch-conquest-vhp-sport-l3-718-4-96-6?utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&variant=7529223716900&sfdr_ptcid=3694_524_374401797&sfdr_hash=2c36a547e0563ab6d9aa2297bc2e4fcd&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakgqWK9iLDrCMbCU7uvGD5m3Q84oCzwO5UTpiQ3K9RZE7nwam8vJuUgaAga3EALw_wcB

Or this

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products/bell-ross-watch-brv2-93-gmt-blue-brv293-blu-st-sf?variant=31710775541813&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakivk5too5MxmVb8txQv72ucoF4UeN7DHBmSiI-2tLSBYXVpuJoOh5YaAtvSEALw_wcB

I quite like the B&R tbh.

:thumbsup:

Or a Ball Batman

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/ball-watch-engineer-hydrocarbon-aerogmt-ii-42mm-DG2018CS10CBK-p33668/s40670?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ball-watch-engineer-hydrocarbon-aerogmt-ii-42mm-dg2018c-s10c-bk&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&vs_vat=inc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakhglH0k3qIGe2w2pkANwzVf_-aDKOHUwSQpaQWhfssvBf0zqp0HJD8aAmZXEALw_wcB

And a couple of Ebay considerations

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WITH-TAGS-Oris-Aquis-GMT-Date-Blue-dial-01-798-7754-4135-07-4-24-65EB-/254964448590?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/omega-seamaster-professional-300m-GMT-Co-Axial-2005-Box-And-Papers-/303980973425?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Thanks 1

New, Mido Ocean Star GMT - all the GMT you'll ever need - proper traveller GMT movement, looks great, subtle for a diver and from a brand with history.

2nd hand, and my personal favorite GMT ever is the Ulysse Nardin Dual time range - again a proper travellers gmt movement and no fiddling with the crown to change local time, just 2 chrono style pushers. Big date, small seconds and a jumping hour GMT display means it's elevated above the usual 'GMT Master 2 style' fare. A multitude of dials and designs means they range from sporty to dressy but they can be challenging looking but eminently worth it... here's mine.

6-F712-C77-B563-46-DA-8312-BAFACDD7449-A

and yes, I did buy that within budget - just.

Edited by julian2002
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just taken delivery of this which is well under your budget even new (this one wasn't). Independent GMT hand, solar powered, 200m/20 bar water resistance, slide rule bezel (not sureif that's a good or bad thing :huh:), it's a solid well made watch - I'm very much in the honeymoon period at the moment :thumbs_up:

20210507_091933.jpg

• Like 2

I suppose one important question is which TYPE of GMT do you want? 

The True GMT (Travellers GMT) has an independently adjustable hour hand  for the main time, so it’s very easy to change the local hour when moving between time zones. 

The other type of GMT is the one where the 24 hour hand is the one that has adjusted in one hour steps.  It certainly works when travelling, but takes a little longer to set. 

The former tends to come at a premium – it is the type of movement featured on the Rolex GMT watches.  The latter is the sort used by a lot of companies including Christopher Ward which @Bricey referred to.

11 minutes ago, julian2002 said:

New, Mido Ocean Star GMT - all the GMT you'll ever need - proper traveller GMT movement, looks great, subtle for a diver and from a brand with history.

2nd hand, and my personal favorite GMT ever is the Ulysse Nardin Dual time range - again a proper travellers gmt movement and no fiddling with the crown to change local time, just 2 chrono style pushers. Big date, small seconds and a jumping hour GMT display means it's elevated above the usual 'GMT Master 2 style' fare. A multitude of dials and designs means they range from sporty to dressy but they can be challenging looking but eminently worth it... here's mine.

6-F712-C77-B563-46-DA-8312-BAFACDD7449-A

and yes, I did buy that within budget - just.

I recently bought an older version of the Ulysse Nardin. Absolutely brilliant!

8524C8AE-00F8-46C8-A603-536747E20E7E.thumb.jpeg.2950758505009217329540a7932d48c7.jpeg

• Like 4

My other GMT watch is this Edox World Timer. It's pretty much a divers watch with a GMT function. Superb build quality, ETA auto movement & very much an underrated make. Absolutely & definitely a keeper & for the price I paid an utter steal. Not sure if Edox make this one now but it's definitely worth searching or one. I paid £350 (not new but in immaculate condition with all boxes & papers) so if you can find one it should be well under your budget - not sure how much they are new but the brand is often heavily discounted. Let us know what you end up with :thumbs_up:

20210507_093510.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pauluspaolo said:

My other GMT watch is this Edox World Timer. It's pretty much a divers watch with a GMT function. Superb build quality, ETA auto movement & very much an underrated make. Absolutely & definitely a keeper & for the price I paid an utter steal. Not sure if Edox make this one now but it's definitely worth searching or one. I paid £350 (not new but in immaculate condition with all boxes & papers) so if you can find one it should be well under your budget - not sure how much they are new but the brand is often heavily discounted. Let us know what you end up with :thumbs_up:

A lovely watch, I love that dial texture BUT (and this is a personal pet peeve with a lot of watches / manufacturers and not a dig at you or your Edox specifically) a 'worldtimer' is a distinct type of complication, when it is applied to a GMT watch by a manufacturer it winds me up.  :bash:

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Ani-Digi G-Shock, more time zones than places you'll ever go to or phone. 

edf.jpg

And you'll have change

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

You forgot, "and more plastic than the oceans you'll cross to get there!"

:thumbsup:

• Haha 2

the big river site is doing f91w's at about 9 quid - wear 2 on each wrist and thats 4 time zones for less than 40 quid.

i travelled a lot in my yoof for work and never bothered with a gmt as the basic maths involved is not that arduous - but this may not be your reason for wanting one. my above suggestion is not totally tounge in check - it represents a sensible  engineering solution within budget , quickly achievable with built in redundancy. ok maybe slightly tounge in cheek. :thumbsup:  

• Haha 4

On 07/05/2021 at 07:23, Rotundus said:

the big river site is doing f91w's at about 9 quid - wear 2 on each wrist and thats 4 time zones for less than 40 quid.

i travelled a lot in my yoof for work and never bothered with a gmt as the basic maths involved is not that arduous - but this may not be your reason for wanting one. my above suggestion is not totally tounge in check - it represents a sensible  engineering solution within budget , quickly achievable with built in redundancy. ok maybe slightly tounge in cheek. :thumbsup:  

Nah I just want a GMT movement in my collection. I hate travel. Have zero use for GMT because I agree completely, the math is very easy. Buy the same can be said for chronographs, they're rather useless. I just like the look and to play with the buttons.

4 hours ago, midnitemo said:

probably be burned at the stake but i can't think of a reason why i'd bother with a GMT

No need to worry, I think the forum suspended capital punishment about three years ago.

It’s as @JayDeepsays, he likes the complication even though he doesn’t like travelling. I love travelling, and even I would agree that the GMT isn’t really necessary because the maths is easy. But it’s still cool.

How many dive watches do you see on this or any forum that never go near water? How many chronographs that never time anything? How many so-called pilot or aviation watches that never get closer to the cockpit than seat 17C on the airbus to Tenerife? How many annual or perpetual calendars that would probably need to be reset on the few days a year when their owners wear them? Moonphases? Minute repeaters? And so on...

The good thing is that of course you don’t really need a reason to justify any of them.:)

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree we all like things for reasons other than practicality , my problem with GMT and pointer dates aswell is face clutter/over complication , but that's just me 4 hands on the dial is one too many for me lol

obviosly chrono's exceped

excepted

1. Norqain Freedom 60 GMT bronze or steel

The most beautiful GMT on the market IMHO

also uses the Kenissi GMT movement (Tudor) which is super accurate (mine is less then 1 second a day) and has true quick time zone switching

Look at the bottom of this page

good luck!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Nah I just want a GMT movement in my collection. I hate travel. Have zero use for GMT because I agree completely, the math is very easy. Buy the same can be said for chronographs, they're rather useless. I just like the look and to play with the buttons.

This Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT-02 might fit the bill.  1,000 limited edition, £2,481, in various colour combos.

BALL_Pilot_GMT_DESKTOP_01-1920x905.jpg

Or this Ball Engineer III Hurricane Hunter 40mm GMT currently on pre-order for £1,800 (ceramic bezel version) - about £600 off available in various colour and spec combos.

DG3006C-S1J-BK-755x940.png

• Like 1