• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Slate clock with broken corner, would like some advice please.

I have a slate clock which I have mentioned on this forum previously regarding the mechanism. I now have the clock working really well and keeping good time.

The problem I have is the cosmetics, unfortunately the clock has the top rhs corner broken off and missing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to make the appearance better?

Also I noticed that there is a signature inside the clock, would this signature be of any relevance?

Many thanks in anticipation for all replies and suggestions. :thumbsup:

Slate-clock-rhs-corner-2.jpg

Slate-clock-signature.jpg

These are easy to fix oddly enough, there is a black epoxy putty on the market. 

I've used it to great effect, I will see if I can find the make. 

I bought it on ebay, great stuff, I will see if I can find the pics of my repair. 

Yes miliputty, that's it, brilliant stuff, comes in every colour under the sun. 

I did put a post when I did it years ago, unfortunately I haven't got the pictures anymore. 

This site doesn't do pictures even if I wanted to, I've tried. 

Good luck with the repairs.

Just a quick update, have tried some Milliput and this is the result.

It needs some finshing off and refinement, hence the reason for placing a message to ask what is the best way to put colour back onto the slate top that I have rubbed with sandpaper whilst rubbing down the Milliput corner section?

Any suggest gratefully received. :wink:Slate-clock-new-corner-section.jpg

Looking good so far, get some very fine sandpaper and get it nice and flush. 

There is a slate clock blacking for restoration, it's always on the forums, Ebay and most clock shops. 

It's a brilliant stuff, I think it was about £15 worth every penny and the finish is amazing. 

Curator Slate Blacking Solution

Edited by antony
I forgot something

Thank you very much for getting back to me with your latest message, greatly appreciated.

There are two options on ebay at present as far as I can see, first one is Priory Polishes Slate Blacking at £12.50 including P&P, the second one is Curator Slate Blacking Solution at £14.34 plus £3.25 P&P.

I assume Curator would be the best option?

Many thanks for your continued interest :thumbsup: