• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Victorinox Alliance Quartz - New to me today

So I am (promise) reaching the end of my recent splurge, but managed to pick up a Victorniox Alliance 241763 44mm Quartz for 80% off the RRP.

I did however mess up as whilst it came brand new still in the plastic and with the booklets, there was no box (must read advert better) and so now I'm on the hunt for a Victorinox watch box to piece it back together.

Anyway, on to the rather dull review from your rather dull poster:

Can't discuss the packaging, because it came wrapped in bubble wrap in a padded envelope, but the booklet is a nice quality item rather than a fold up fler, so hopefully I'll find a nice branded box to complete this and put it right.

20210507_112320.thumb.jpg.99b59fa2f5dee8789af3bd0081ad9e9c.jpg

20210507_112516.thumb.jpg.2d7d9c0e5884986b4b6abfa8f3302bd2.jpg20210507_112431.thumb.jpg.867860bbd043208daf3c12d0b6a59b70.jpg

Once unwrapped first impressions are that it has a lovely deep blue dial, framed by the minute track and then a circular brushing that almost gives the impression of an old LP. The printing is crisp and clear, whilst understated and reserved and the long applied baton markers catch the light nicely with their two sided angular finish. Logo is also applied rather than printed but no frame to the date window (would have been nice with an applied silver frame imo). The sub second dial is printed and has a little red second hand to make sure that @JayDeep is not disappointed by a lack of red-on-blue).

The mirror finish shine on the bezel, case lugs and outside and middle links of the 5 part bracelet looks lovely (for now, lets see how quickly I scuff the poor little darling) offset by the 2 and 4 links being brushed finish. The bracelet and butterfly clasp look and feel very good quality, no nasty cheap rattle to them, and are massively long to give room for the biggest of wrists (I could wear this on my tight like a garter! Not pictured for health and safety reasons)

20210507_112606.thumb.jpg.191af2faceeba94a52beb19425bac8cc.jpg

After removing the push pins and about a foot of bracelet, I am pleased to discover that I am one of the lucky ones with this watch where the lack of any fine adjustment with a butterfly does not mean a miss out on a comfortable fit. In fairness the two last links are half sized on the bracelet, to allow for a little fine tuning to get this working for you. The clasp is solid and comfortable, but unsigned in any way. The crown is signed (etched) but is not screw down, but we still have a WR of 10 ATM (more than adequate for me, but not ideal if you spend your time scubering around the Costa Del Sunny).

20210507_114025.thumb.jpg.b6b7fe2c2212a8e4ee1b4f83eb2d300e.jpg

It has a decent heft to the watch, enough to feel solid and well made, without the need for warm up excersizes before wear (looking at you Tempore Lux!), stated as 153.2g (but probably a fair bit less having removed those additional links to fit my scrawny wrist.

21mm Lug Width will limit strap choices, but whilst I don't doubt this would look nice on black leather, the bracelet is part of its strength so I don't see I'm likely to be changing it.

Just 9.6mm thick seems even less due to its 44mm wing span, which was my biggest concern when buying, how big would it wear, the answer is, not too bad at all.

I'm a relatively little fella, with small wrists and small hands, and I am not a big fan of oversized watches, but this sits quite snug on the wrist (maybe the slim depth helps, and the lugs are not  long and also curve down smartly from the case). Overall, very pleased with both the appearance and comfort of the fit.

20210507_114044.thumb.jpg.cd2463775910b32a9c33ba6a6bbced84.jpg

But above al, it is the dial, texture depth and colour, that sells this watch to me. In the light and shade it seems to move from a grey, to a rich blue, through an almost purple spectrum.

20210507_114035.thumb.jpg.76711cbe5999ceb227b9640069425fa1.jpg

Overall, especially given a price of £100 inc. delivery I am delighted, but I dont think it would be a poor purchase much closer to its £499 RRP, it is certainly a match for any £300 Quartz I have had the pleasure of owning. It feels very much like a high end Rotary or a couple of Raymond Weil's I have had in my collection previously.

A pleasant 8.436 out of 10 overall in terms of value and quality.

Thanks for reading through.....and please let me know if you see a Victorinox watch box knocking about on EBay!!!

Edited by Bricey
something went funny
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Nice review & I like the watch too - I picked up a Victorinox Classic Chrono recently, but the strap (described as "used" by the seller) was a complete write off (unwearable) & I am now waiting for a delivery of straps to fit from CNS - As mentioned, a complete PITA that Victorinox decided to make their straps 21mm :sign_wtf: - Anyway, health to wear your latest acquisition ... Paul

It looks smart - I hope that you're going to enjoy wearing it.  I'm a big fan of Victorinox products across the board - from the obvious army knives, kitchen knives, potato peeler, garden tools and I'm even sitting here wearing Victorinox perfume.  And my husband loves his recent watch addition to his collection.  He felt the same, that it seemed hefty initially, with a mahoosive bracelet, which he took about 2 inches out of, but whilst it is quite a hunk of metal, he doesn't feel that it wears heavy.  It gets regular wear from him as he has really taken to it.

I wish more watch designers did the curved lug thing, it really does improve wearability and saves them snagging on your pockets and sleeves.  I'm wearing a Klaus Kobec fashion quartz today, largely because the blue strap matched the shirt I was wearing (I only went for my 2nd Covid jab, but I have standards), but the glass and lugs curve nicely and the back is flush with the inside of the strap, making it sit really nicely in wear.  

5 minutes ago, krissy1301 said:

The bracelet looks like it is high quality, how you finding wearing it?

It is really comfortable. I mentioned a similarity to a Raymond Weil I had previously (this one https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Raymond-Weil-Toccata-39mm-Mens-Watch-5485+ST+60001/p/17341074?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__17341074,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwytOEBhD5ARIsANnRjVirajw-JsjiF9GVWEh6aiWw9DFscwU0Wy8FVLarUeJxy8F-IgblhnYaAt4XEALw_wcB ) and the feel and wear of it is very similar indeed (despite the larger face on the Victorinox).

And it really is very, very shiny! :teethsmile:

From the Victorinox website -

scratch-resistant, triple-coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal

did you get the free pen knife? Good buy for £100, probably less once you've sold the metre of spare bracelet for scrap :) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

From the Victorinox website -

scratch-resistant, triple-coated anti-reflective sapphire crystal

did you get the free pen knife? Good buy for £100, probably less once you've sold the metre of spare bracelet for scrap :) 

No pen knife, but I've got more pocket knives than I will ever need already (come to think of it is the a pocket knife section of the forum I should check out?!) more upset that I'm missing a branded box, and the only ones I've managed to find those far are in the US and will cost me about £50 delivered (assuming I don't get to pay duties on top of that!)

:throw:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262860031460?hash=item3d33adc5e4:g:M1YAAOSwA2hZ2l9b

:angry:

Better picture now the sun's not so bright

20210507_172038.thumb.jpg.cbe915d2d0bc875f13fe7264f8d68350.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bricey said:

No pen knife, but I've got more pocket knives than I will ever need already (come to think of it is the a pocket knife section of the forum I should check out?!) more upset that I'm missing a branded box, and the only ones I've managed to find those far are in the US and will cost me about £50 delivered (assuming I don't get to pay duties on top of that!)

:throw:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262860031460?hash=item3d33adc5e4:g:M1YAAOSwA2hZ2l9b

:angry:

Your choice but now you can travel to the Falkland Islands without having to isolate upon return, a watch roll might be more useful :)