• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What Have I Got Myself Into....

I'm new around here, but thanks to the great advice I have received from you lot, I am on my way.....for better or worse!

Big day today. My IWC327004 IWC Le Petit Price Edition arrived. I originally tried my luck at Maplin & Webb, but the experience was awkward and pointless - after a long, protracted conversation and a little too much pretenciousness if you ask me, they made several phone calls before returning and explaining they were able to offer me.... £90 off! At least I got to try it on. So I took my search online and ordered from a US distributor. Could not be happier with it. 

ygM3mqK.jpgLDI6Q8w.jpg

Yesterday, my 166.062 Omega Seamaster Cosmic Automatic also arrived. Originally, I was looking at a 'standard' vintage Seamaster as a reasonable entry point into Omegas. However, the sixties feel of the Cosmic drew me in, and struck me as a little under rated? After some great tips here, I spent a little more on the best one I could find from, again, a US dealer. It definitely feels smaller compared to modern watches - but I love the fine detailing, the late sixties vibe and the history of the thing. The world it must have seen over the last 52 years... a great contrast to the IWC. 

7dIN64G.jpgc452k2a.jpg

I also have a WV211-B TAG Carerra Calibre 5, which I bought in 2015 as my first 'proper' watch and have worn every day since, until now. It's on it's third strap...that will soon go in for some fettling to remove some fine scratches. The other is a Junkers Bauhaus bought for me by my wife after we got married; it's a Quartz, but one that holds sentimental value, so won't be going anywhere! 

Next up...I am not generally into Divers, but I fancy a chrono. I currently have my eye on a Speedmaster, but not a Moonwatch; I like the Racing/Japanese SE/FOIS editions.

I do like TAG Heuer Autavia and Monza, though I am not sure if I am allowed to.

And the whole Poljot, iron curtain watch thing is also intriguing.   

I probably need a bigger box. 

NP5bMo3.jpg

• Like 15

54 minutes ago, MD770 said:

... Le Petit Price Edition arrived.

Surely, an oxymoron or a typo. I'm pretty certain there is nothing petit about the price of the IWC :).

Congratulations! Really loving that IWC and Omega :thumbsup:.

1 minute ago, Shoughie0 said:

Surely, an oxymoron or a typo. I'm pretty certain there is nothing petit about the price of the IWC :).

Congratulations! Really loving that IWC and Omega :thumbsup:.

Good spot :biggrin: I did manage to get a good discount abroad thankfully...and will not darken M&Ws door again...

Thanks all! 

Way to start a collection on the front foot, none of the messing about with tat I did for the first decade, just straight in with the big guns.

Love each of your watches, have a Carerra of similar vintage, have had and loved an Omega Cosmic, have a real soft spot for Junkers and yours looks a lovely deep blue, and the last on that list, that stunning IWC, is a grail watch I aspire to one day in the future.

Awesome stuff, I'd lose approximately 17 hours  and 43 minutes per week sat smiling at my watch box if that were mine :teethsmile:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AVO said:

Some very nice watches there. As a Moonwatch owner, I did try a few others when selecting mine, and the FOIS is lovely. I almost went for it.

I love the real deal, but I have skinny girl wrists and feel it just be too big...
The FOIS size seems perfect but still a littly pricey...
The Speedmaster Date model seems a bit more doable....one day...

14 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Way to start a collection on the front foot, none of the messing about with tat I did for the first decade, just straight in with the big guns.

Love each of your watches, have a Carerra of similar vintage, have had and loved an Omega Cosmic, have a real soft spot for Junkers and yours looks a lovely deep blue, and the last on that list, that stunning IWC, is a grail watch I aspire to one day in the future.

Awesome stuff, I'd lose approximately 17 hours  and 43 minutes per week sat smiling at my watch box if that were mine :teethsmile:

That's very kind of you. I wore and abused the TAG every day for six years and still love it, but this place is a Pandoras box...the IWC is something I'd wanted for years and I am 40 next year, so...screw it.

The Junkers is black on black, I think the camera plays tricks. 

0XVlV2Y.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MD770 said:

I love the real deal, but I have skinny girl wrists and feel it just be too big...
The FOIS size seems perfect but still a littly pricey...
The Speedmaster Date model seems a bit more doable....one day...

That's very kind of you. I wore and abused the TAG every day for six years and still love it, but this place is a Pandoras box...the IWC is something I'd wanted for years and I am 40 next year, so...screw it.

The Junkers is black on black, I think the camera plays tricks. 

0XVlV2Y.jpg

Yeah, that first picture tricked me, but it is still a lovely watch, a little Junghans Max Bill about it with the big domed lens.

Despite you maybe feeling as it as the poorer relation in your box (financially rather than sentimentaly) it does not look out of place in that company at all in my opinion, if your wife picked it for you herself, then she has a good eye (for watches at least :laughing2dw:, can't speak for you without far more information!)

:thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Yeah, that first picture tricked me, but it is still a lovely watch, a little Junghans Max Bill about it with the big domed lens.

Despite you maybe feeling as it as the poorer relation in your box (financially rather than sentimentaly) it does not look out of place in that company at all in my opinion, if your wife picked it for you herself, then she has a good eye (for watches at least :laughing2dw:, can't speak for you without far more information!)

:thumbsup:

She did! And she was very supportive on the IW, I guess that makes her a keeper, along with the Junkers! :biggrin:

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Great collection, I would recommend something in blue at some point. Really nice and selective choices there.

Thank you! As in bezel/ strap?

I think browsing and dreaming is safest. I’m really, really liking this and think I might try and sell the Carrera to justify it. This is a dangerous game...

451-AFFA2-03-BD-4097-841-D-C514-CBA34-B5

1 hour ago, MD770 said:

I think browsing and dreaming is safest. I’m really, really liking this and think I might try and sell the Carrera to justify it. This is a dangerous game...

Ti's a cracker.

I work on the basis that under £100 doesn't really need prior agreement/acceptance from the wife, £101-200 I need to mention it but its not a big deal and I go with puppy dog eyes and explain I really like it.

Repeat over a 6-12 month period and end up with 20-odd new watches that I've enjoyed, have been fun and have given me experiences of different shapes and sizes (but were not what I really wanted).

Then I decide I'm "having a clear out of some of my watches" and sell most of the cheaper watches I've bought, as nearly new as they've only been worn a handful of times, bringing in enough to buy one or two watches that I really did want.

And the wife is fine because I'm not spending £2000 on watches, I'm just spending what I brought in on the watches I just sold.

It's brilliant.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MD770 said:

As in dial color. I think no collection is complete with black, blue and white dials at least.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

As in dial color. I think no collection is complete with black, blue and white dials at least.

Need black, blue, white and silver (as it matches my wardrobe of only black, blue, white and grey clothing! :laughing2dw:)

43 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Need black, blue, white and silver (as it matches my wardrobe of only black, blue, white and grey clothing! :laughing2dw:)

Ditto, but I consider silver basically white and black goes with grey just fine so I never bothered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayDeep said:

White next then perhaps. Shame the all white dial Spedmasters are eleventy billion dollars... 

Just now, MD770 said:

White next then perhaps. Shame the all white dial Spedmasters are eleventy billion dollars... 

Nope you Omega is in the white dial spectrum. Silver is essentially the same thing, in varying degrees. Unless we're talking enamel dials...