• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Need to know about vintage Casio Illuminator AQ-140W

Discovered this watch in the back of a drawer - guess it's from the 90's. Anyway, got the back off and fitted a new battery. Sometimes it runs and sometimes it stops and I need to know about the white plastic disc wth holes in which sits on top of the battery because someone told me it has to be in the right place. Does anyone out there know what function it has and should it go above or below the battery clamp?

Non of the "Google" searches I tried came up with a plastic disc, with holes in, on top of the battery?

Most have a sticky label with the reset instructions.

The module number is a 3 or 4 number figure near the AQ referance.

Here is a link to the manual https://support.casio.com/en/manual/009/qw1737.pdf

If this is the 1737 module and it has an "ac" terminal have you shorted the new battery to the "ac" terminal?

Good luck, fixing "old" stuff is very satisfying.

Thanks for reply yes I did the shorting bit to kick it into llife and it worked, it's sitting in front of me now with the seconds ticking away in the window. The instruction label you mention is in fact on the inside of the back next to the alarm piezo but what I am talking about is definitely on top of the battery and has what looks like a small rectangle of graphite attached to it where the said holes are. I did ask Casio for some information but as usual they just tell me to send it in and they will service it for a fat fee if they can. Why on earth they are not prepared to give information on a watch which was made over twenty years ago is a very poor attitude in my view.

I think I've seen similar plastic/rubber discs inside old Casio's, to be honest I've never given much thought to their importance and figured they were more an impact protection packer type thing. From memory they always fit one way with the hole going over one of the springs that come up from the module. 
There's AQ-140W on eBay now listed as spares/repair that reads like it just needs a battery pretty cheap which might be worth taking a gamble on if you did want to try another module if you're attached to the watch. 

I have a number of Casio's, mainly G-Shock and they have something like what your saying and I think they are for shock protection and keeping the module in place. A photo would be helpful just to be sure :thumbs_up:

Probably not the same as your Illuminator, but an older model (1990s) that I did a battery change on a few years ago. This one has two batteries, one for the back light, and one for the module. There are plastic spacers, so that aspect may be similar. They are released by pushing gently on the retaining clips with a small screwdriver.

Image 1 - Casio Watch Dual Time 100M Illuminator Alarmchrono Watch AQ-140W - Cased in Mala

Above is my attempt at creating a picture of my watch from elsewhere. Hopefully if you click on it you will see a pic of my watch. (not the same as yours Roger and only one battery in mine.

Vintage Analogue digital watches, Casio analog digital watches Ah that's better

Casio Illuminator AQ-140W is a good and cheap watch model casio. 
I would identify the following main pros and cons 

Pros:

Nice fit on wrist
Classic and universal sports design
Lots of colors

Good water protection

Lots of extra features

Cons:

Easy to scratch
Not a very reliable strap

Thanks for that Juan. Yes the strap gave up due to poor design but I found a fresh one on ebay with far better design and only £6. Yes it will get scratched because it's not mineral glass but with the right materials it can be quite well restored. I use 1500 grit waterproof paper to start with and finish of with the rubbing compound used to restore car paint work. Finally after further research I have found that it needs two batteries and the white plastic disc is above the smaller battery which operates the timing mechanism to separate it electrically from the larger CR1616 lighting battery which sits on top of it. The clamp goes on last but is a bit fiddly and one has to persist but I expect some of you guys know that and yes Roger, ithas some similarities to to your old illuminator.

• Thanks 1

...and finally I did not want to bother with a fresh CR1616 battery because I never use said watch in the dark. However, you must have one to sit firmly on the timekeeping battery beneath it otherwise the time keeping battery is not secure enough I discovered. Mrs (font of all knowledge) says "Why don't you find a washer which is similar size in all those tins of stuff you keep in the garage?" Well folks, I did and put the battery clamp over it like it was a battery. This watch now approaching 30 years of age is going merrily along just like new! A demonstration of what persistence will achieve and Casio's robustness.

• Like 1