• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Negotiating prices..

Saw a comment on here suggesting Jura/C W Sellors can be negotiated with on price. I was completely unaware, is this true? 

Considering part ex'ing a couple of watches and would be great to know there's room for negotiation. 

10 hours ago, MaxW said:

Saw a comment on here suggesting Jura/C W Sellors can be negotiated with on price. I was completely unaware, is this true? 

Considering part ex'ing a couple of watches and would be great to know there's room for negotiation. 

It is indeed. I've bought 2 watches from them and received 15%ish percent reductions through price matching with competitors so there's clearly margin they're willing to chop to make a sale. 

I've been wondering if shops would be willing to drop their price to match swiss watches direct. Online information at various jewellers suggests not but perhaps managers discretion...

Just remember to be respectful and realistic with bids.  I regularly get low ball offers on watches, which I reject and make sure they don't get any discount at all.  Offers between 5 and 10% get considered.

One of the last low ball offers was 50% off an 18k Vacheron Constantin 'because it is small'.  Being half price won't make the case larger!  He did not get a penny off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Noted and agreed. Reminds me of my dad who angrily refused to sell his lawn mower to a bloke who tried to get a discount on what was already a bargain, even when he was then re-offered the original price :laugh:

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, MaxW said:

Noted and agreed. Reminds me of my dad who angrily refused to sell his lawn mower to a bloke who tried to get a discount on what was already a bargain, even when he was then re-offered the original price :laugh:

I've taken to reverse negotiation with my kids.

Me: "I'll pay you £10 to mow the lawn"

Random small person in my home: "I'll do it for £15!"

Me: "The price is now £8, I'll put it out to tender amongst your sibblings"

Or.

Me: "The budget for your new phone is £100"

RSPIMH: "Dad, I need £150 for the phone I want!"

Me: "£90 take it or leave it"

My kids think I'm a hoot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I've taken to reverse negotiation with my kids.

Me: "I'll pay you £10 to mow the lawn"

Random small person in my home: "I'll do it for £15!"

Me: "The price is now £8, I'll put it out to tender amongst your sibblings"

Or.

Me: "The budget for your new phone is £100"

RSPIMH: "Dad, I need £150 for the phone I want!"

Me: "£90 take it or leave it"

My kids think I'm a hoot.

You’re nicer than me.

”Cut the grass and I’ll let you sleep here tonight.”

• Haha 2

I had no such luck with Mapplin and Webb. For an IWC I was offered £90 off. Told because it was a special editio, it was the maximum they could do. Bought it from the USA with 25% off. I've since heard Watches of Mayfair can be good on discounts?

2 minutes ago, MD770 said:

I had no such luck with Mapplin and Webb. For an IWC I was offered £90 off. Told because it was a special editio, it was the maximum they could do. Bought it from the USA with 25% off. I've since heard Watches of Mayfair can be good on discounts?

I’ve bought from WOM ,no issue.