• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Glass renewal seiko kinetic 5j22-OC80

bradleybear

Question

Hi

Joined here to ask you knowledgable people if there are any watch repairers who can replace the scratched glass on my seiko watch? I'm based in the Midlands, Dudley. It's a 5J22-OC80. I came here from a google search, one of  @kevkojak's posts, but I can't PM anyone as it's my first post. 

Also could do with the stainless steel bracelet buffing up a little, I can't private message anyone as just joined!

Kind regards

Brad

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Ouch, I'll wish you good luck now @bradleybear as this is going to be a painful one. The glass on these is a mega thick domed and magnified mineral glass, and the big steel circle in the centre is part of the glass, all manufactured together.

I had one of these done around 4 years ago and seiko were on very low stock levels, my watchmaker sourced me one but it was the better part of 80 quid fitted. 

You might pick up a NOS one (or even a full case) on ebay but it won't be cheap. I might even suggest going direct to SeikoUK with this one.

Edit.

Item number 303955647251 on ebay should work. Same glass, but it's from the 0a50 model (200m rated with uni directional bezel, Same case size I believe). 

It's 38 quid, any decent independent watchmaker should fit it for a tenner, even a Timepiece kiosk if you have one near you.

Looking forward to seeing replies from other Modders and watchmakers to see what they recommend or if these are now easy to get hold of - it certainly wasn't my experience. 

As far as the steel bracelet, it's all brushed/matte on these so it can be a fun DIY project. A garryflex block (like a big rubber sanding block about the size of a bar of soap) does the job for a few quid. Failing that, I used to use the 4 sided nail buffing pads that cost about a quid. 15 minutes slow, patient brushing with the most coarse side, followed by the same with the second most coarse edge to finish it off.  It won't remove any damage but it'll bring the brushed finish up to a superb standard.

Edited by kevkojak

On 09/05/2021 at 17:43, bradleybear said:

Really appreciate the reply. I'll check out the link on eBay. Its a sentimental watch bought by my now wife so it's one of those items I want to get a new lease of life into!! 

For a simple job such as replacing a glass and buffing a bracelet / case try https://www.michaelswift.co.uk/services

If the glass was smashed there might be a danger of small parts of glass in the movement and it might need a service as well