• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Help with a Lemania Single button Chronograph

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for all the valuable information.

A Couple of years ago My Grandad asked me to get a couple of clocks serviced for him and right before I was leaving with said clocks he went into a drawer and pulled this little beauty out and asked "can you see what they can do with that". Anyway took it to the clock repairer who couldn't repair but referred me to TWR in Essex who could and subsequently did the repairs. They did a great job and all is well now a couple of years later. The company owner Tim also commented on what great shape it was in and said these are becoming more and more valuable. Ironic really as my Grandad picked the watch up for less than £100 around 30 years ago from an antiques shop where he was informed it came off an aircraft carrier.

Unfortunately we recently lost my grandad so I have the job of trying to value his watches for the estate. I have been googling etc and found some information but struggling to date the watch. Anyway if anyone can point me to the best place to research these watches or offer any opinions or information it would be greatly appreciated.

Some images below.

Thanks, Dan

Lemania Face

Lemania Back

That Lemania chrono is rather nice. I would have thought that given the "broad arrow" mark on the back and those numbers, the military origins of the watch should be traceable. I'm sure that a Forum member more expert on military watches than myself should be able to give you an answer. :)

0552 marking on the back of the watch denotes Royal Navy issue. The number on the bottom line is the RN serial number of the watch. The other marks are 'Nato' ID and no use in dating the watch other than they were not used I think, until 1974.

The serial number is unlikely to be connected to the manufacturer.

Military watches were generally marked up when they went into stock and not when they were issued.

A very nice watch, the "T" on the dial denotes it is a Tritium lume on the numbers, which dates it to early 1970's

It is certainly a valuable watch, i have seen similar models sell before, they also did a white dial version of this one, in my opinion your looking at £800 - £1200 for value

Ask your local auction house for an appraisal,

Best of luck :thumbsup:

What a fantastic looking military chronograph watch . I have always wanted one of these in my collection but they are over my budget .

Lemania comes from the name for lake Geneva , le lac leman in French , It was founded in 1884 by Alfred Lugrin  . Lemania are highly respected for their movements , with some of the top brands using them in their watches .

These chronographs began to be produced from 1945 and was marked on the back with HS 9 , which signified Hydrographic Survey chronograph . At that time these watches used the Lemania 17 jewel 15 CHT column wheel chronograph calibre , a very robust , accurate and reliable movement . When Britain joined NATO in august 1949 they had to have their military watches marked with a NATO ID number . From 1950 the  MOD  began to use the NATO numbers on the back of these issued military watches . You will see some samples of the HS 9 marked watches , crossed out and given a NATO ID number .

In the 60s Lemania began to produce these chronographs with a asymmetrical case , these watches were made wider on one side of the case to protect the crown and pusher . They also began to use the Lemania calibre 2220 (basically a 15 CHT calibre with shock protection ) these was also marked incabloc (shock protection) on the bottom of the dial . The NATO ID number also ended with the year it was issued  . Your watch does not have the asymmetrical case and doesn't have incabloc on the dial , and it does not have the year issued marked on the back  .  It also has never been marked with the HS9 on the back , so IMO your watch dates to the 50s .

Has for the value of the watch we are not allowed to give valuations . But if you check ebay and chrono24 , they will give you some idea of value . Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edit . I have just found this one , that's very similar to your own .

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/lemania/monopusher-series-2-military--id18196533.htm

There is some good information on line about these military chronographs , they are very collectable . I personally would try keep that particular watch , its a beauty .

Edited by Tazmo61
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tazmo61 said:

From 1950 the  MOD  began to use the NATO numbers on the back of these issued military watches . You will see some samples of the HS 9 marked watches , crossed out and given a NATO ID number .

I should have said early 50s :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

What a fantastic looking military chronograph watch . I have always wanted one of these in my collection but they are over my budget .

Lemania comes from the name for lake Geneva , le lac leman in French , It was founded in 1884 by Alfred Lugrin  . Lemania are highly respected for their movements , with some of the top brands using them in their watches .

These chronographs began to be produced from 1945 and was marked on the back with HS 9 , which signified Hydrographic Survey chronograph . At that time these watches used the Lemania 17 jewel 15 CHT column wheel chronograph calibre , a very robust , accurate and reliable movement . When Britain joined NATO in august 1949 they had to have their military watches marked with a NATO ID number . From 1950 the  MOD  began to use the NATO numbers on the back of these issued military watches . You will see some samples of the HS 9 marked watches , crossed out and given a NATO ID number .

In the 60s Lemania began to produce these chronographs with a asymmetrical case , these watches were made wider on one side of the case to protect the crown and pusher . They also began to use the Lemania calibre 2220 (basically a 15 CHT calibre with shock protection ) these was also marked incabloc (shock protection) on the bottom of the dial . The NATO ID number also ended with the year it was issued  . Your watch does not have the asymmetrical case and doesn't have incabloc on the dial , and it does not have the year issued marked on the back  .  It also has never been marked with the HS9 on the back , so IMO your watch dates to the 50s .

Has for the value of the watch we are not allowed to give valuations . But if you check ebay and chrono24 , they will give you some idea of value . Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edit . I have just found this one , that's very similar to your own .

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/lemania/monopusher-series-2-military--id18196533.htm

There is some good information on line about these military chronographs , they are very collectable . I personally would try keep that particular watch , its a beauty .

@Tazmo61 wow very concise, greatly appreciate your input. Really good to have a date now. So surprised to know that the serial numbers don't give a bit more specific details.

Funny I also came across that watch on chrono24 it gives a good indicative value. 

Good to know about the hs9 numbers too I have come across a couple of those during my searches. 

I do agree its a lovely piece and I will be doing my best to keep hold of it, its in such great condition, probably few and far between now.

Thanks again all

Dan