• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

never thought i would buy a casio g shock!!

ok i had never seen a g shock i would have like to own till now!, its the rubber/ plastic straps / case/ all digi display square case shape etc i never found appealing :( and i am defo a bracelet kinda guy.

well as you do browsing you tube came across the "casioak" mod ,i  had not seen it before or even heard of it (everyday is a school day:biggrin:)well cut a long story short , here is my first g shock! bought from e bay, ready assembled ( you can get kits) and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised, the quality of this bracelet (there are differing quality ones apparently) with the combination of grey dial is very nice and best combo IMO. came with screwdrivers, original strap / case, all warranty cards etc in picture's. its a large watch but fortunately i have big wrists and it sits very well and is comfortable .

dean.m

0RNDJhr.jpg

MO2qqZY.jpg?1

KJMMu5z.jpg

nLU2BM4.jpg

iu1Xhg7.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

The wrost (or maybe I'll one day say, "best") thing this site has done for me (other than make me want @yokel to adopt me, and making me have a slight man-crush on @JayDeep who I truly hope is a dead ringer for Matthew McConaughey) is that is is pushing me towards giving a G-Shock a try.

I had always thought they all looked ghastly (I feel terribly, terribly British even typing that) but after a thread of people explaining their (G-Shock's) virtues and strengths, and then threads like this with what ends up looking a pretty cool watch, I fear that at some point I will crack and have a look for myself.

Maybe I should try a Duro first and consider working up to a G-Shock, so as not to try and run before I can walk.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Bricey said:

The wrost (or maybe I'll one day say, "best") thing this site has done for me (other than make me want @yokel to adopt me, and making me have a slight man-crush on @JayDeep who I truly hope is a dead ringer for Matthew McConaughey) is that is is pushing me towards giving a G-Shock a try.

I had always thought they all looked ghastly (I feel terribly, terribly British even typing that) but after a thread of people explaining their (G-Shock's) virtues and strengths, and then threads like this with what ends up looking a pretty cool watch, I fear that at some point I will crack and have a look for myself.

Maybe I should try a Duro first and consider working up to a G-Shock, so as not to try and run before I can walk.

Ditto these sentiments about GShock. I have respect for what they are, but to me they are not a watch worth collecting, in general. However, that said, there is one I absolutely love! And it's cheap, but it's huge and the size is what's held me back so far... the 5600! Steel case, still a classic Casio digital, but blacked out dial rather than that ugly grey scale like most of their digital stuff.

GM-5600-1_l.png

g-shock-gm-5600-1-review-7.jpg

• Like 2

Not a fan of some of the modded G Shocks, especially those using copy parts. But there are some great examples out there with dyes added to the transparent resins etc.

Once you work your way up the G Shock ladder into the more premium range you’ll be truly amazed at the manufacturing processes and attention to detail.

For example, MR-G models have the cases outsourced to Seiko as they’re the only ones who can finish the titanium to the required standard along with applying the PVD coatings.

32 minutes ago, chas g said:

Now all you need is a 4 old to work out the instructions on how to set the time etc. I gave mine to my son in law.......serve him right!!

fortunately it came set up with right time /day etc , saved :laugh:

deano

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

This post shows the way to avoid 'plastic' and also embraces modding. 

• Like 1

Looks good that. I’ve a few gshock variants which I use generally as beaters or for the gym/cycling. 
I do quite fancy a yellow variant, but have yet to pull the trigger. I haven’t really worn any of my watches since I got ill in January. :bash:

23 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

Looks good that. I’ve a few gshock variants which I use generally as beaters or for the gym/cycling. 
I do quite fancy a yellow variant, but have yet to pull the trigger. I haven’t really worn any of my watches since I got ill in January. :bash:

hope your better now sir, must admit i am just starting to wear watches again following lockdown & being able to go to the pub/ out again,

deano

In direct reply, I thought the same thing. 

I got given a "cool" GA-110gb (the one with the gold hands) and found out it was a fake but that was after I had messed around with it's functions and the way it worked (now my neighbors 10 year old is wearing it, it will be trashed and forgotten about after summer).

That both annoyed me and gave me a look at their potential. So.. 

I had a look around and bought myself a real GA-110HC (so that the giver knew I appreciated the gift.. even if it was a different watch :whistle: &, because I'm like that.. not wanting them to think I'm unappreciative, and during finding out it was fake I found out I could un-plastic it). 

So.. I'm preparing to go down the same route.. metalization.. it seems a nice mod to add and might settle it into the realm of hardcore mud & music festival and/or 30 pints in Friday Glasgow with the awakening of "WTF am I doing in Dunbarton?" wearing a tracksuit at 8am Monday.

Where's my watch? (Vague memories of betting it on arm wrestling in Aberdeen).

3 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

hope your better now sir, must admit i am just starting to wear watches again following lockdown & being able to go to the pub/ out again,

deano

I once went to the pub and forgot to put my watch on, i couldnt settle all night, it felt like i wasnt properly dressed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

If you like the one at the top but you're not convinced on a G-Shock maybe give this a go:

• Like 2

I do like a g shock ,, or even a c cube ! 
can’t believe I sold this c cube or swapped it during lockdown ! 

6ceEjbo.jpg

qyFunkc.jpg

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Now all you need is a 4 old to work out the instructions on how to set the time etc. I gave mine to my son in law.......serve him right!!

My son got hold of one my Casio’s .. have loads .. now I can stop the blooming alarm going off !  :bash:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

If you like the one at the top but you're not convinced on a G-Shock maybe give this a go:

i saw that too, and looked into them too before buying this, but i preferred the AP style of case with screws round and bracelet ( and grey dial ) but edifice are the posh ones / versions?.

deano

Edited by deano1956

3 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

i saw that too, and looked into them too before buying this, but i preferred the AP style of case with screws round and bracelet ( and grey dial ) but edifice are the posh ones / versions?.

deano

Have to say the quality of the bracelet on yours looks in a different league to the edifice:thumbsup: Just suggesting for Bricey as it doesn't have the bulk of the G-Shock if you want to ease in gently. I never have quite worked out where the Edifice range fits in the Casio line up with all the metal bodied and/or analogue dialed G-Shocks they do now. Seems to be an awful lot of shared territory between the two ranges.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

deano

I’m improving albeit very slowly thanks (long covid unfortunately). No idea when I’ll be fully back to normal. 

4 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

I’m improving albeit very slowly thanks (long covid unfortunately). No idea when I’ll be fully back to normal. 

soz to hear, its a thing as saw a article in a paper guy in ICU for months with it keeps passing out?, hopefully we get some sunshine to help soon, all the best .

deano

• Like 1

Deano, the more I look at your gshock the more I like it. I like it more than the edifice.

Did you buy a Cassio GA2100-1A 1st and then buy a 3rd generation Hontao kit? In the video I watched the chap complained that the bracelet was very big and wasnt very comfortable. Did you shorten your bracelet? I quite fancy getting one for fun with a kit the same as yours. Did you buy direct from Hontao? I think I would go for one with a rubber strap regards Chas