• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Not again !!!

I see a muhle glashutte for £1400 and then I see a breitling colt for £2150 and think well it's only another £600. While browsing on the tinternet, the Breitling Superocean with white dial and blue bezel catches my eye at £3250........then I reflect and think if I am going to spend that amount, why dont I buy the Cartier de Calibre in the watchclub for £3995. I do this every time and end up spending far more than I intended.

I wonder how many of you do the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, chas g said:

I see a muhle glashutte for £1400 and then I see a breitling colt for £2150 and think well it's only another £600. While browsing on the tinternet, the Breitling Superocean with white dial and blue bezel catches my eye at £3250........then I reflect and think if I am going to spend that amount, why dont I buy the Cartier de Calibre in the watchclub for £3995. I do this every time and end up spending far more than I intended.

I wonder how many of you do the same thing.

Chance to contemplate spending nearly £4000 on a watch would be a fine thing! :(

• Agree 2

I guess you just have to set limits of what you are wanting to spend. Otherwise its just a slippery slope of never-ending cash you could spend which could snowball out of control.  There is always going to be another watch, always mores expensive too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Chance to contemplate spending nearly £4000 on a watch would be a fine thing! :(

I am retired, live on my own and dont have all the stuff like mortgage/rent/car loans etc. Other than hospital staff I havent seen anybody since Christmas day so I dont mind spending on something I enjoy and has some residual  value.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

Glasutte is a nice watch, at the end of the day buy something your happy with, do some research, see if it has a manufacturer calibre or a bought in one from ETA, do they do a chronometre version? Second hand purchase is also good value as long as the condition is ok,

All the best! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chas g said:

car

Exactly. Welcome to the bigger picture. I don't have one either, total up the money on all associated costs of ownership and you'd probably have enough to buy 2 @ £4k and stainless doesn't rust. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chas g said:

I am retired, live on my own and dont have all the stuff like mortgage/rent/car loans etc. Other than hospital staff I havent seen anybody since Christmas day so I dont mind spending on something I enjoy and has some residual  value.

I had a heart attack, the doctor said "stop smoking.. cut down on your drinking" (that's hard but I have accomplished it but I will be bad every so often, living should have fun).

So I now have "extra" cash.. 

The most entertainment I have found is ordering many stupid but some engaging purchases of watches worth a small amount so they will arrive on a random but consistent various days per week.. it became more entertaining waiting to see what actual quality or "coolness" this or that watch needed when arrived and needed this or that bracelet to fit it.

I shot low and had multiple days of fun playing with deliveries, (broken watches with cool straps, watches needing batteries, watches needing the bin, batteries, straps, bracelets, tools to change bracelets, tools for opening watches, vintage, chinese, russian, kinetic, solar, automatic.. etc etc.) It passed each day and it was both highly entertaining and educational.

Have a think about if you really need a £5000 watch or £5000 worth of fun and entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My point is.. appreciating watch collecting shouldn't fall on the price of the watches collected but on the reason we love the watches we have. 

I see it in here so many times "I have 'this' watch I have 'aquired'.. what is it's worth?".. 

It's 'worth' is it's meaning to the person asking the question. The reason to have it .. is it bigger than the reason to sell it. 

The exception is having something you don't have a connection to. It's 'worth' becomes the value it has for someone else so that you can have that value in trade to get something else you might get a connection to or just to trade.

The trade is just cold and perhaps a way to get to a piece you love or just make money. 

I fall into the group that loves the little ticking things, not the group that sees them as 'objects that cost x amount of money' 

Don't misunderstand, they all have a value.. I just see a different kind of value as other people.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, chas g said:

I am retired, live on my own and dont have all the stuff like mortgage/rent/car loans etc...

...I dont mind spending on something I enjoy and has some residual  value.

Exactly.  Christmas and New Year especially were grim for people like you (and me).  I normally have a wonderful fortnight in Cyprus and for the Festive Season, but obviously couldn’t go anywhere last time.  I bought a watch the other week for what that trip would have cost me. 

If you’ve got it, spend it. You don’t have to justify it to anybody. When are you getting the Cartier, by the way? :biggrin:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chas g said:

Pretty sure I have firmed up on this. Friend said it looks like a childs watch. Any comments appreciated thanks Chas

And this is where it comes down purely to personal taste and to a degree what you want it for.

I like it, but itt is a bit bold for me, I imagine it would be right up @JayDeep's alley, whilst I'd lean more towards a (boring?) traditional diver asthetic like this:

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-A10370121B1X1/p/17531852

or, if the budget didn't reach that far one of these two:

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Rado-Captain-Cook-Automatic-Mens-Watch-R32105153/p/17680725

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-40mm-Mens-Watch-01-733-7707-4354+07-5/p/17600965#fo_c=1551&fo_k=775a627562e066db41c90025a5856e1d&fo_s=slisys

But this is despite the fact that I already have 2-3 divers that essentially look exactly the same as those.

Rest assured, it is a grown-up's watch, just one clearly less dull and old than me and your friend!

• Thanks 1

It's easy to go hunting for a new watch but sometimes the carousel of chance can spin up ideas.

Some websites show you the item you've searched for, and this could be anything, and then they advertise "what others went on to buy" or "spend a little more and get". I suppose it's just marketing but it can feel as if you are being channelled down a certain pathway to spending more.

One of the good things about this forum is that you get ideas from others, which often takes you off on a tangent considering options which might result in less spend but still delivering on the features you desire.

Budget wise we all have limits but like I've said before there's something, in the watch world, to put a smile on everyone's face even if coin is in short supply. 

As an aside we went out for lunch today, you buy a drink they bring out a random item of tapas. If my wife wouldn't eat it I would, if I won't our lab will - no regrets :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, chas g said:

Pretty sure I have firmed up on this. Friend said it looks like a childs watch. Any comments appreciated thanks Chas

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Breitling-Superocean-Automatic-42-Mens-Watch-A17366D81A1S1/p/17531692#fo_c=1551&fo_k=292f6393418278637a2c168e3298676f&fo_s=slisys

Yup @Briceywas right, I think it looks great!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bricey said:

And this is where it comes down purely to personal taste and to a degree what you want it for.

I like it, but itt is a bit bold for me, I imagine it would be right up @JayDeep's alley, whilst I'd lean more towards a (boring?) traditional diver asthetic like this:

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Breitling-Superocean-Heritage-A10370121B1X1/p/17531852

or, if the budget didn't reach that far one of these two:

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Rado-Captain-Cook-Automatic-Mens-Watch-R32105153/p/17680725

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-40mm-Mens-Watch-01-733-7707-4354+07-5/p/17600965#fo_c=1551&fo_k=775a627562e066db41c90025a5856e1d&fo_s=slisys

But this is despite the fact that I already have 2-3 divers that essentially look exactly the same as those.

Rest assured, it is a grown-up's watch, just one clearly less dull and old than me and your friend!

I tried a SuperOcean 57 and thought it was too blingy for my main watch and I’m not shy! It’s a lovely thing though, one that I’ll certainly go back to one day.

3 hours ago, AVO said:

A bit bold. But if you like it...

I’d have gone for the Cartier.

I decided against the cartier because a few years ago I tried one on at watch club but ended up buying a JLC master geographic. I also tried a Patek nautilus at the same time but to me it looked very ordinary and not worth the £25k they wanted. In hindsight maybe I made the wrong decision 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2021 at 15:58, AVO said:

A bit bold. But if you like it...

I’d have gone for the Cartier.

You were right. I should have bought the Cartier. I am getting bored with the Breitling, lovely watch but not exciting

Oh well just have to wait until funds are replenished.

watch-club-cartier-calibre-de-cartier-ju

image.png