• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Your thoughts/feelings on manual wind

I really like winding a watch & I have a 3 manual winders in my collection (as of tomorrow that will/should increase to 4). In that figure I'm including a JW Benson pocket watch which is a glorious if not slightly battered thing which keeps fantastic time for something that's well over 100 years old.

If I ever get sick of automatic divers (can't see that happening) then manual wind watches would probably be the next branch on my collecting tree :)

My first watch as a child was a small white faced manual wind. It had large green lumed numbers like a military or field watch. I loved that thing so manual winds have always had a bit of a special place for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A simple three hand manual wind watch must be one of the few things in today's world that has not been completely overhauled by the ceaseless quest of changing technology. Although Hamilton, to name one, are marketing an 80 hour reserve hand winder. In my case if you were to wind it once every 80 hours, I'd forget when I'd last wound it by Thursday. :crazy5vh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

A simple three hand manual wind watch must be one of the few things in today's world that has not been completely overhauled by the ceaseless quest of changing technology. Although Hamilton, to name one, are marketing an 80 hour reserve hand winder. In my case if you were to wind it once every 80 hours, I'd forget when I'd last wound it by Thursday. :crazy5vh:

Not a problem if it has a power reserve indicator. :biggrin:

• Haha 1