• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Got a spare 400k?

Then perhaps I can interest you in this....

large.20210511_091336.jpg.d48111a3b14810e6f11f1d6ba7a2c41c.jpg

Spotted during my stroll through the Argyll Arcade in Glasgow on Saturday. By far and away the most expensive watch I've ever seen and in a somewhat grubby shop window with secondhand Casios also for sale in the general mishmash of watches. Are they having a laugh? Surely if it was worth that much you'd send it to auction.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Lovely piece of history, what a superb looking watch! 

As far as sending it to auction, they should be very very afraid of it tanking - they're being *ahem* a little bit ambitious with pricing in my opinion - that's based on recent auction results (these hardly come up on a weekly basis though, they don't often pop up at Bolton Auction Room).  :laugh:

The early 4767 model has cleared 400,000 a couple of times (although usually in this condition they bring £200,000).
This is the later 6236 (Leaf hands instead of the Syringe hands from the original). An absolutely MINT one sold at the Phillips auction a couple of years ago for just over half a million, but in this sort of condition it is a solid £150,000 watch - maybe £200k in the right sale (Sotherby's "Important Watches" for example).

If it had been the early 1940's model, they'd be rubbing their hands. As the second generation one, it's an incredible piece of Rolex history but not quite as desirable as the first.

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Great to read KK's reply and gain a better understanding or what exactly I am looking at.

But I do wonder if there might be a need for some "know your audience" advice for the seller, I would presume that they have it advertised elsewhere and not just in the window?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Great to read KK's reply and gain a better understanding or what exactly I am looking at.

But I do wonder if there might be a need for some "know your audience" advice for the seller, I would presume that they have it advertised elsewhere and not just in the window?

He just got in before me.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

If I did ever have that much money I don't think I would be buying a vintage watch! Couldn't even fathom placing something of that value on my wrist! The Date just next to it looks nice though!

Nobody puts those on their wrist  :nono: . Having a watch like this in the safe is like owning a Picasso; something to own, enjoy and appreciate and (importantly, in the current climate), a nice investment piece to - probably - watch appreciate in value. 

• Like 2

I think I would prefer to spend my money with someone who could spell Valjoux  (and it is a 72C, not a 72) :whistling:

Without the Rolex name and in better condition you can get a 72C between 3-5k without trying hard.  Identical movement.  I think this Wakmann is more interesting visually (not my watch)

image.thumb.png.5cd35f78853f37cf5130aebd8e75e7bc.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've been through Argyle arcade many times (it makes for an interesting short cut) and the first thing I thought about when I saw this picture was this..

I often wonder if the guys who tried it and failed have ever seen it and thought.  "Next time guys.. we need a talking donkey"

• Like 1

It's just an attention grabber, there used to be a similar shop in the Metro Centre and they always had one or sometimes two grossly overpriced Rolex or some such thing in the window. Even back then it would have been doubtful if anybody would have bought them. 

But as the sales bloke once said to me maybe not but it got punters looking at the window then into the shop for a mooch and they might buy something else that catches their eye.

So you never know they might get a serious buyer and then they'll talk the real price. 

. Smoke, mirrors and marketing 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sabailand said:

Blimey, i`ve never ever seen anything in a shop window for anyway near that price, seen watches running into the tens of thousands but nowhere near almost a third of a million.

Such big numbers they are defeating your maths - that's well over a third of a million there.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

For that kind of money there's a lot of watches I would buy, but never this.

For that kind of money I’d be looking at things other than watches.

I could think of many other watches I would rather buy than this one. 

It's like art, buying an old master just because it's famous and said to be worth x amount of money. 

Somebody will eventually buy this watch and stick it in a safe, bring it out every so often and show it off not for it's qualities as a watch but the qualities of their investment. 

They may be saying "look at this watch, when it was made in bla bla bla bla..." but what they are really saying is "look at me, can't you see my importance and bla bla bla..."

The many other watches I would buy would not be to look at their worth or even to look at the person who purchased them.. it would be to look at the watches and appreciate them for what they are.

• Agree 1