Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Alexander Shorokhoff New Planet, initial thoughts/impression


Recommended Posts

I'm in love!

The dial: the red is not a glossy or metallic one. It's actually rather matte, which gives it more of an orangish-red look, or blood orange. The guilloche carbon fiber pattern looks fantastic but only really shows under the right conditions which is mostly LED lighting. The lume is actually decent, though lightly applied and only lasts a few hours, but this isn't a dive watch so who cares? Not me! The hands alignment is flawless, hits every mark on the button at the 60 second point. Never had a watch do that. I love the unique and large 60 at the 12 hour mark, while all the others are done in his instead. Most indicies are applied, which is the only way I'll ever have it.

The case: simple and classic design, I like that they drilled the lugs relatively close to the case so straps leave very little gap. The signed crown is large and easy to manipulate for winding, which by the way is buttery smooth! The pushers function nice and crisply. The case itself is a nice fine brushing with the bezel, crown and pushers being polished for a nice contrasting. The see thru back is the real point here though. That movement decoration is to die for!!!

The strap: super high quality, soft and supple, almost buttery but without any filmy feeling. It's got a nice 3mm taper to the buckle and it's short, I'm talking AliExpress Chinese made strap short, which is perfect for my small wrists! The clasp is fantastically understated and not one of those annoying and pointless gigantic buckles like you see on so many watches these days. It too is signed.

I can't lie, I kind of wish the dial was metallic or glossy, I'm not a huge fan of the matte look in general, on anything really. But this thing transcends my care in that regard because it looks so good! This is exactly what I've been looking for in my hunt for a red dial watch, exceeding my expectations! Plus it's my first "Made in Germany" piece, which fills a much needed hole in my collection!

On to the pics...

IMG_20210511_090257.jpg

IMG_20210511_085800.jpg

IMG_20210511_085839.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice , Jay . The movement looks like a Poljot 3133 . And it is probably the most elaborate engraving I have ever seen on a 3133 . The chrono bridge and balance cock look amazing . All round the movement is nicely decorated . The guilloche carbon fibre dial looks great . A very nice addition to your collection .:thumbsup:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A great looking watch from a very interesting brand. Probably a bit large and...err...red for me, but what a fantastic looking movement. Wear your watch in health and happiness.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AVO said:

A great looking watch from a very interesting brand. Probably a bit large and...err...red for me, but what a fantastic looking movement. Wear your watch in health and happiness.

Yeah my tastes have definitely tamed in regards to size over the years. I much prefer closer to 40mm these days. This one pushes my preferred boundaries, as do all of his watches, but it's so damn perfect I just don't care. I've never not taken a watch off in two days like this. A new watch I love is common, I'll wear it for work then change to a weekender watch when I get home, but this thing hasn't left my wrist since yesterday when it arrived. I'm just taken with it. Everything is so near perfection that it's basically so.

If I had to make changes to put it perfect... the subdials would be white not silver. The minute subdial hand world be black not silver. The central seconds hand would be black tipped. The outer ring containing the minute markets would also be black. And the date window would have a chrome applied border around it, rather than a drawn in white paint border, as it is now. But seriously, that's all nitpicky small things that in the end I care nothing about when I look at this thing. All doubts disappear and I'm in love!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Ps, I also can't wait to wear it again tomorrow!

I’m always like that with new watches, or just new to me. It took me almost 2 weeks to get that Ulysse Nardin off my wrist. Just enjoy the feeling. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AVO said:

I’m always like that with new watches, or just new to me. It took me almost 2 weeks to get that Ulysse Nardin off my wrist. Just enjoy the feeling. :thumbsup:

I'm not, only this one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Trying very hard to dislike it .... but failing .... thumbs up from me .. 

Watches are the only thing I can think of where I can look at something that I know I would not wear and still think that it is beautiful.

Clothes I either like them and could wear them or don't like them as a general rule.

A car I either like it and would be happy driving it, or I don't like it.

A watch I can look at, and this is a fine example, and think that it is absolutely beautiful whilst being 100% confident that I would not or could not wear it.

Strange things watches, or maybe watch fans are strange.

Or maybe it is me, I am strange.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

 

Or maybe it is me, I am strange.

 

I'll take the 5th on that .... 

Completely agree though , watches are weird, I would not wear Jaydeep's watch in a million years but I really really like it ....  its the sort of watch that jaunty chaps who wear their caps at rake-ish angles would wear 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I'll take the 5th on that .... 

Completely agree though , watches are weird, I would not wear Jaydeep's watch in a million years but I really really like it ....  its the sort of watch that jaunty chaps who wear their caps at rake-ish angles would wear 

Maybe he could wear a lemon yellow sleeevless argyle sweater with it?

P7.jpg

 

I'd still love the watch, but that tank top does not "spark joy".

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

 ....  its the sort of watch that jaunty chaps who wear their caps at rake-ish angles would wear 

Not at all my style, nor would I agree with this statement/assessment. You're thinking of Jacob and Co cartoon looking crap. Rappers can't get enough of that garbage looking stuff. Like diamond riddled Breitlings and Rollies. No thanks. I don't wear gold chains around my neck or gold tooth caps.

I'm actually very classic in my style, but I like my wardrobe to stand out in the small ways... shoes, watch and belt. Those are always colorful, contrasting to the larger pieces of clothing, and matching each other. A sort of subtle vibrance. The rest is plain old jeans, chinos or slacks with a calm t-shirt, polo or button down to accompany, and all with a nice fitted and clean look. In fact my style is just that in a nutshell, clean cut. No baggy crap, no ball caps worn at all, let alone at any angles, etc. I make my visual statements in less "in your face" ways.

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

Maybe he could wear a lemon yellow sleeevless argyle sweater with it?

P7.jpg

 

I'd still love the watch, but that tank top does not "spark joy".

 

Definitely not. I do have a yellow sweater that I never wear. Can't recall why I bought it. I tend to stick with Grey's, blues and blacks primarily. And argyle belongs on socks only!

Edited by JayDeep
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Not at all my style, nor would I agree with this statement/assessment. You're thinking of Jacob and Co cartoon looking crap. Rappers can't get enough of that garbage looking stuff. Like diamond riddled Breitlings and Rollies. No thanks. I don't wear gold chains around my neck or gold tooth caps.

I'm actually very classic in my style, but I like my wardrobe to stand out in the small ways... shoes, watch and belt. Those are always colorful, contrasting to the larger pieces of clothing, and matching each other. A sort of subtle vibrance. The rest is plain old jeans, chinos or slacks with a calm t-shirt, polo or button down to accompany, and all with a nice fitted and clean look. In fact my style is just that in a nutshell, clean cut. No baggy crap, no ball caps worn at all, let alone at any angles, etc. I make my visual statements in less "in your face" ways.

Definitely not. I do have a yellow sweater that I never wear. Can't recall why I bought it. I tend to stick with Grey's, blues and blacks primarily. And argyle belongs on socks only!

methinks.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...