UK Watch Forum banner

Your favorite vintage inspired watches?

847 views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Bricey 
#1 ·
Dig vintage look, but not so much vintage problems and lack of life left in them. Suggestions?

#2 ·
For me, vintage in my collection falls in to two catagories:

1) Watches I really wanted and am prepared to pay to maintain (I have 2 birth year watches, an Omega Seasmaster and a Rolex Datejust. Both will be with me for the rest of my days irrespective of where my collecting future lies and I will always cover the costs to keep them straight)

2) Cheap little toys (I have a few little hand winding and auto's that cost me next to nothing, are worth next to nothing and owe me absolutely nothing, they are play things that I don't really consider part of my collection, they come and go but are just a bit of fun).

I'm unlikely to add to section 1, unless means and opportunity made an offer I couldn't refuse.

I will continue to amuse myself in section 2 from time to time (have a little Swissam 17j due to arrive soon that cost about twenty quid).

If I was able to maintain and service them myself to a competent degree then I might have considered more vintage purchases, but they (group 1) are a labour of love.

#3 ·
For me, vintage in my collection falls in to two catagories:

1) Watches I really wanted and am prepared to pay to maintain (I have 2 birth year watches, an Omega Seasmaster and a Rolex Datejust. Both will be with me for the rest of my days irrespective of where my collecting future lies and I will always cover the costs to keep them straight)

2) Cheap little toys (I have a few little hand winding and auto's that cost me next to nothing, are worth next to nothing and owe me absolutely nothing, they are play things that I don't really consider part of my collection, they come and go but are just a bit of fun).

I'm unlikely to add to section 1, unless means and opportunity made an offer I couldn't refuse.

I will continue to amuse myself in section 2 from time to time (have a little Swissam 17j due to arrive soon that cost about twenty quid).

If I was able to maintain and service them myself to a competent degree then I might have considered more vintage purchases, but they (group 1) are a labour of love.
Well that wasn't helpful at all. Lol but okay, cool. I get it completely.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well now, that's an interesting question. As you know, I have a couple of what might be termed long-term classics. My 2016 Cartier Tank looks pretty similar to the first models a century earlier. My 2017 Speedmaster Moonwatch looks pretty much like the originals worn over 50 years ago. Because they have maintained an unbroken pedigree and therefore attained longevity in production, they're fine.

However, I'm not a fan of these modern watches dressed up to look like old watches in a larger case. Thinking particularly of certain models by Oris, and some updates/re-releases from the old catalogues of Longines and Tissot.

in general I've always supported the view that if you want a watch that looks like an old watch, you should buy an old watch. However, I understand your reservations about size, reliability and availability of parts.

#7 ·
Well now, that's an interesting question. As you know, I have a couple of what might be termed long-term classics. My 2016 Cartier Tank looks pretty similar to the first models a century earlier. My 2017 Speedmaster Moonwatch looks pretty much like the originals worn over 50 years ago. Because they have maintained an unbroken pedigree and therefore attained longevity in production, they're fine.

However, I'm not a fan of these modern watches dressed up to look like old watches in a larger case. Thinking particularly of certain models by Oris, and some updates/re-releases from the old catalogues of Longines and Tissot.

in general I've always supported the view that if you want a watch that looks like an old watch, you should buy an old watch. However, I understand your reservations about size, reliability and availability of parts.
Fair enough, because what you're not a fan of us exactly what I'm looking for. Lol

#6 ·
A lot of brands have been pushing the "heritage" look in recent years.

I personally really like heritage looking divers, my CW C65 hits the spot for me, love the Longines Heritage diver and the Oris 65 (you search "vintage divers on EBAY and look how many little scratched up sicura's, timex and long forgotten brands had divers in the 60's and 70's that the above have closely followed).

Not sure that they tick some of your less traditional tastes though?

A lot of the other heritage range stuff seems more 'dress watch' though and again might not appeal.

Reactions: JayDeep
#8 ·
CW C65 hits the spot for me
I have one of those too and it's great. However, I think it looks generic enough to appear reasonably modern apart from the Caramac lume and stick hands. Certainly my version with the blue dial does.

Fair enough, because what you're not a fan of us exactly what I'm looking for. Lol
Then I would definitely check out the three brands I mentioned; they have quite a lot of variety in that genre.

#11 ·
Problems aren't necessarily part of collecting vintage watches as parts for many movements are still available. As Avo says the Moonwatch is a good example, but the same applies to watches with many ETA movements, like the Unitas 6497/6498, which have been around since the nineteen fifties and are still being fitted to many new watches. So parts for those are easily available while they are being serviced.

I get what you feel, but I look at it this way, that whatever watch I buy, new or vintage, servicing is going to be part of ownership as it is with say, a car, If I buy a vintage watch I just ensure that it's relatively easy to get serviced. One benefit of vintage too is that if they often they will hold value well. A new watch generally, like a car, tends to lose value as soon as you walk out of the AD and takes a time to recoup.

I think that if you like the 'vintage' look, go for vintage, cost in servicing if necessary, and I think you'll find how cost-effective it can be at times, especially if you know how and where to get pieces serviced to a good standard and these days that's not hard ....

My earliest Moonwatch is from the nineteen sixties and I wouldn't swap that for a modern version and it appreciates in value and is easily serviced. Watches can be owned for a long time and still have decades of life in them. Perhaps it may be worth looking at the originals of some of the designs that you like.

#12 ·
Problems aren't necessarily part of collecting vintage watches as parts for many movements are still available. As Avo says the Moonwatch is a good example, but the same applies to watches with many ETA movements, like the Unitas 6497/6498, which have been around since the nineteen fifties and are still being fitted to many new watches. So parts for those are easily available while they are being serviced.

I get what you feel, but I look at it this way, that whatever watch I buy, new or vintage, servicing is going to be part of ownership as it is with say, a car, If I buy a vintage watch I just ensure that it's relatively easy to get serviced. One benefit of vintage too is that if they often they will hold value well. A new watch generally, like a car, tends to lose value as soon as you walk out of the AD and takes a time to recoup.

I think that if you like the 'vintage' look, go for vintage, cost in servicing if necessary, and I think you'll find how cost-effective it can be at times, especially if you know how and where to get pieces serviced to a good standard and these days that's not hard ....

My earliest Moonwatch is from the nineteen sixties and I wouldn't swap that for a modern version and it appreciates in value and is easily serviced. Watches can be owned for a long time and still have decades of life in them. Perhaps it may be worth looking at the originals of some of the designs that you like.
I hear you but I think the opposite. I'm not interest in buying something outdated that parts are no longer being produced for. That's built in obsolescence, no thanks. Or buying used something that you can still gets parts for but had already seen a couple hundred thousand miles and maybe had another hundred left at best. I'd much rather buy new using common parts and new parts. Sorry I work in car industry, I know reality of these things, you never buy used, always a bad idea. Set up for failure so to speak. If you've got the money you buy new.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
How about this then..

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

Bigger than the orig 38mm

Using a modern movement.. has plenty of history.. it has modern charm.. can easily fold itself into any collection and have reason to be there. It is a talking point when under discussion.. you don't have to put it into a safe.. it could become a daily beater without worry.. it is reliable..

The only thing it doesn't have is the ability for people who collect watches to boast about how much it costs.

Edit.. TBH.. I would like one on a case fitting solid stainless steel bracelet. In my opinion its the only thing that lets it down.. ps. Watch this space.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.