• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Your favorite microbrand(s)?

At this stage I've tried many. Some have no gone under, some are still alive, some I really respect, and others just blow my mind! As it sits, even though they're extremely expensive, I'm all about Alexander Shorokhoff! I've got my eye on another and can't wait to finally decided on it.

Others I would consider favorites...

G. Gerlach. Polish brand that really produces some cool and unique stuff. I've missed out on a couple that I really wish I hadn't!

Farer. Yes they do some really crazy and cartoonish color coordination sometimes, but their designs are unique and their materials and products are quality without question.

• Like 1

Just now, Bricey said:

I seem to have gone off on a microbrand diver arc of late, some really nice watches and some big lumps that I don't care for, but a fun and relatively cheap play area.

I did the cheap seats too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I did the cheap seats too.

5 minutes ago, Bricey said:

The views not always great, but the popcorn is just as good.

Nah. Dress circle or private box, canapés and champagne in the interval! :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What is a microbrand  , is Christopher ward one? I'm unsure where the line is? has Bremont stopped being one now? Farmer seem a pretty established brand...confused of Chester.

Farer. ... bloody predictive text...grrrr 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

What is a microbrand  , is Christopher ward one? I'm unsure where the line is? has Bremont stopped being one now? Farmer seem a pretty established brand...confused of Chester.

Not this then?

JczOYxdqRyu6RHLdaW0e

Well, just posted my Spinnaker Tesei back to them to fix the stripped ratchet wheel in the SW200 after just under 2 years so depending how this pans out they'll either be my favourite or not shortly (not sure if they count as a micro brand really, seems to be part of quite a sizeable portfolio of brands). Most owned micros for me are CW with 5 and Phoibos with 4.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

i have had this link to a  micro brand web site for years , but never bought one yet !

deano

https://microbrand.store/

Thats a great link, some really interesting watches on there too.

Like the Camera lens watch (my dad's a keep photographer, so that might be a nice present for the future)

profile-med_6bc4140f-80ce-4eab-8c27-343e

I like the saegull-eque look of the Hemel:

montage_360x.jpg?v=1613398667

back-garden-1024_360x.jpg?v=1613398667

And whilst I fear I am not man enough for this (any more than I am for that damn Tempore Lux) it looks an impressive lump:

cover-full_7fce2dc9-592a-4d6b-830d-9cdb1

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, midnitemo said:

Yes, CW is a microbrand. Bremont as well.

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

Yes, CW is a microbrand. Bremont as well.

If that's the case, you've asked the wrong question, or perhaps you should have added your own definition. If those two companies are microbrands, so are the following:

Bell & Ross

Glashutte Original

Ulysse Nardin

Carl F Bucherer

Zenith

Piaget

Blancpain

Breguet

Vacheron Constatin

And they're just the Swiss (owned) brands!

• Agree 2

Microbrand ?

anything sold via Kickstarter etc, free advertising via watch forums, blogs, generally not sold in high street shops, often contain budget Miyota/Seiko movements, and some have bits of old furniture, cars, motorcycles, aeroplanes, trucks, and underwear inside them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

and some have bits of old furniture, cars, motorcycles, aeroplanes, trucks, and underwear inside them.

Don't forget battleships.

Edited by Bricey

Just now, JonnyOldBoy said:

Bremont is an established Watch Manufacturer. They are not a micro brand under any definition.

when Bremont were a new start i'm guessing they would have been considered a microbrand less than 20 years ago , at what point do they cross over into the next echelon , Christopher ward probably move more watches than Bremont but they seem to be a microbrand , just find it a murky distinction

I really like Bremont and CW by the way

2 hours ago, Caller. said:

If that's the case, you've asked the wrong question, or perhaps you should have added your own definition. If those two companies are microbrands, so are the following:

Bell & Ross

Glashutte Original

Ulysse Nardin

Carl F Bucherer

Zenith

Piaget

Blancpain

Breguet

Vacheron Constatin

In respect of a definition of "microbrands" I found this:

Definition: A microbrand is a company that manufactures small numbers of premium products. They typically sell direct to consumers and offer prices well below what the big brands charge.

To sum up a microbrand’s characteristics, they:

• Focus on premium products
  • Offer unique designs
  • Sell in smaller quantities, often limited editions
  • Appeal to people seeking a unique product
  • Sell direct-to-consumer, typically online
  • Strive to build direct relationships with their customers
  • Often provide superior customer support
  • Charge less

Does this better describe what a microbrand is? - Answers on a £50 note to #doesntreallyhaveaclueaboutthis :whistling:

Anordain for the cool dials, REC as I like the concepts they use. Also just come across Autodromo and think they are interesting from a design perspective. My issue with the microbrands is the perception that it is somehow going to be unreliable, I don't know why as they are typically using bombproof movements from Seiko or Eta but its just a nagging feeling that is probably really just brand snobbery. I should get over myself and just go and buy one I am sure I wouldn't regret it!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, midnitemo said:

Christopher ward probably move more watches than Bremont but they seem to be a microbrand , just find it a murky distinction

I really like Bremont and CW by the way

I’m pretty sure that neither is really a micro brand. CW retail exclusively online, of course, but Bremont  have found their way into quite a lot of relatively prestigious AD stores. And haven’t they just built a new factory?

i’ve got to know CW pretty well over the years, especially in the last four years as a moderator on the CW Forum. I know a few of the people who work there reasonably well. With a model count of 295 over 16 years (not including variants) I would venture to say that they are probably not a micro brand. I do think that they are still trying to locate their real focus and their place in the market hierarchy, but I think they’re getting closer to it. I think they have erred in the past on the side of trying to be all things to all men, and I think what they need to come up with now is a line that establishes model longevity over a longer period of years. A lot of the more recent models have had a relatively short shelflife, which in my opinion is not a good thing. We shall see, but I think the latest releases are very promising indeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Caller. said:

Bell & Ross

Glashutte Original

Ulysse Nardin

Carl F Bucherer

Zenith

Piaget

Blancpain

Breguet

Vacheron Constatin

Well, remember, I come from the US, we don't see either of those here ever. So too me they are. But I wouldn't have a clue what they produce.