• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New arrival - Aristo hand wind, military style.

This is the latest addition to my collection - as recently advertised on this very site by pc_magician. Price was excellent & the postage (RMSD) was swift - many, many thanks to Jon for the excellent deal.  

It's on my wrist as I type this & it's quite a bit smaller than I was expecting. I've had a few Panny clones in the past, with Chinese Unitas (6497 & 6498) movements, these have been big watches & too big for my skin & bone 6.75" wrist really :( I like the style though so I've put up with the size & worn them before eventually selling or trading them. The Aristo uses a Monija (3602?) movement & doesn't seem anything like as big. It's still not a small watch but I don't have to put up with the lugs hanging over the top & bottom of my wrist (a definite no no & the watch equivalent to a balding man with a combover) or a slightly dodgy crown protector that doesn't seem to do much other than add another 1/2" to the diameter of an already large watch :huh: This is a (relatively) svelte 47mm including the gorgeous crown (non screw down) x 50mm lug to lug, the crystal is 35mm across, lug width is 22mm & it's 13mm thick including the domed crystal & nylon strap which runs under the watch. It sits snug to the wrist & hasn't, so far, caught on any shirts, jackets, door frames or knocked anyone over as I've walked past them in the street.

The case is bead blasted which gives the watch a subtle satin sheen & the only polishing is around the edge of the display back (which is a press fit, not screw down). It's a great look - tactical but dressy all at the same time. Talking of the display back, it reveals a movement that's actually worth displaying - unlike many Seiko's that have display backs this one is decorated & beautiful to look at :wub: As I've mentioned already the crown's a thing of beauty, it's a "mere" 9mm in diameter & easy to hold when winding the watch.

The watch came on a black leather strap but I've swapped this for a chunky one piece nylon strap in Bond stripes, this matches the watch spot on & is very comfortable.

In summary, & in case you can't tell, I like the thing ........................................a lot :thumbs_up: 

P1050308.JPG

P1050309.JPG

P1050310A.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Always"watching" said:

What an interesting purchase, Paulus, and rather nice. I had not heard of Molnija watch movements prior to your thread-head and have now done a little bit of reading online about them. :thumbsup:

Glad you like the watch :) I think the Molnija movement originally started out as pocket watch movement, much like the Unitas 6497/6498 movements I mentioned above. I've had a couple of Molnija powered pocket watches in the past but never, I think, a wristwatch. This is, I think, the main reason that wristwatches (which use a pocket watch derived movement) are often - not always - large watches. The movement itself is big so you have to have a large case to accommodate it. 

:thumbs_up:  

• Like 1

I've had a couple of watches with the classic Molnija manual. Really like the movement, that one especially is decorated well. The dial is a bit plain for my style, but I'm not mad at it at all, looks clean. Something I might consider myself. Nice acquisition!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

The dial is a bit plain for my style, but I'm not mad at it at all, looks clean. Something I might consider myself. Nice acquisition!

Thank you :thumbsup: One of the reasons I went for the watch is the plain uncluttered dial, my last purchase (before this one) was a Citizen Nighthawk which has one of the most cluttered dial's going (I still like that watch but didn't want another cluttered dial).

Interestingly the watch says Swiss made on the back, made in Germany on the dial & has a Russian movement - who knows what's going on?! The instructions are in German (& English) so I'm going with the dial. No clue how good the lume is yet but I'll let you know once it gets dark. 

If you want a manual wind watch you could do a lot worse than one of these :) 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Really like the movement, that one especially is decorated well.

I agree , the ratchet and crown wheels look amazing , very nicely decorated all round . I have owned a couple of watches with the Molnija 3602 and they never looked as good as this one in the Aristo . Congrats pauluspaolo on your new addition , very nice indeed . :thumbsup:

pauluspaolo  . I thought I would just add that the Molnija 3602 in the Aristo as shock protection , so is in fact a 3603 . The movement looks like it was produced in the 90s .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tazmo61 said:

pauluspaolo  . I thought I would just add that the Molnija 3602 in the Aristo as shock protection , so is in fact a 3603 . The movement looks like it was produced in the 90s .

That's good to know Tazmo, thanks for the info :thumbsup: The instruction booklet/warranty card is dated 2012 so a bit later than the 90's you suggest.

My wife likes it - not that it'd matter particularly if she didn't - so that's good :)

Just now, pauluspaolo said:

he instruction booklet/warranty card is dated 2012 so a bit later than the 90's you suggest.

Would the booklet /warranty card be for the watch and not the movement ? Looking at the type of shock resistance used on the movement , it looks 90s to me . They used a triangular shaped shock resistance in the 80s  , star shaped in the 90s . The factory closed down sometime in the noughties .

Posted (edited)
On 12/05/2021 at 19:15, Tazmo61 said:

Would the booklet /warranty card be for the watch and not the movement ? Looking at the type of shock resistance used on the movement , it looks 90s to me . They used a triangular shaped shock resistance in the 80s  , star shaped in the 90s . The factory closed down sometime in the noughties .

Probably Tazmo but that would mean the movement has been sitting around since 2007 when Molnija closed .....maybe that's not unusual? Anyway it's irrelevant really as Aristo obviously had some available to them around 2012. 

I woke up a 2.30 this morning :( :Snore: so had chance to check the lume which I'm happy to say seems pretty bright & clear. This watch ticks many boxes for me :thumbs_up:   

Edited by pauluspaolo