• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Three perfect watch?

Auto because I'm uncouth and lazy.

Plus the fact that this little bundle of screws and springs can magically just keep going forever (or a very very long time at least) just because it has some vague interaction with the world around it still amazes me.

Manual second for me, the same reasons but not allowing for my laziness.

Then Quartz.

I don't really go for solar and I can't really explain why.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aa bcfc said:

Quartz providing it’s the very high accuracy 9f in Grand Seiko or VHP in Longines. I already have more than enough auto’s/manual. 

More than enough?????

I want ALL OF THEM!!!!!

:laughing2dw:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've got my perfect watch and it's auto, but that wasn't the complete reason for owning it. Had it a manual option, I'd probably have gone for that.

Thinking about it, you don’t often get the choice, but of course that was the original question – fairly hypothetical of course.

My perfect watch, which I acquired the other week, is an automatic; that makes sense given that it’s designed to be worn when travelling.

• Like 2

all three is obvi the correct answer for the true collecteur , and then there are the natos, straps & bracelets to consider - plus buckles and deployants  & perhaps a winder and stand or two , a new watch box and of course a roll for traveling plus a couple of service boxes for posting  ... light box and assorted shirts and cuff links for the wrist shots. then a new laptop and smart tv to see the pics in larger than larger then life ...  plus a decent digital camera 

is there such a thing as just 'a' watch :huh:

cheap hobby this ... 

spare spring bars and lots of pretty bergeon watch tools , and a work table , oils, seals , spare crystals  - the house extension , and solicitors fees . still i suppose you could sell a couple of watches to pay for the divorce.   

and polish cloths and a timing machine - rather than extension probably best to just move  ... 

whose idea was it to buy a watch anyway ?

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rotundus said:

all three is obvi the correct answer for the true collecteur , and then there are the natos, straps & bracelets to consider - plus buckles and deployants  & perhaps a winder and stand or two , a new watch box and of course a roll for traveling plus a couple of service boxes for posting  ... light box and assorted shirts and cuff links for the wrist shots. then a new laptop and smart tv to see the pics in larger than larger then life ...  plus a decent digital camera 

is there such a thing as just 'a' watch :huh:

cheap hobby this ... 

spare spring bars and lots of pretty bergeon watch tools , and a work table , oils, seals , spare crystals  - the house extension , and solicitors fees . still i suppose you could sell a couple of watches to pay for the divorce.   

and polish cloths and a timing machine - rather than extension probably best to just move  ... 

whose idea was it to buy a watch anyway ?

You totally missed the point of this thread.

• Haha 1

On 13/05/2021 at 08:33, Roger the Dodger said:

Solar, with atomic timekeeping...never have to worry about changing the cell or  it keeping time again.

Exactly this. Plus not having to worry about the ecological impact of battery disposal.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JayDeep said:

You totally missed the point of this thread.

... or did I ?

Solar, with atomic timekeeping...never have to worry about changing the cell or  it keeping time again.

I am starting to think this really ... plus a hand wind :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other than the “laziness factor” of having to wind up a manual each day vs not with an auto (assuming you wear it every day or two), is there much else that differentiates the two? 

I don’t have a manual currently, but I rotate wear of my autos so (especially during lockdown), I wind them up pretty much every time I wear them anyway.

Another question (sorry going off topic slightly here - but helping me decide how to answer the question :biggrin:)  do solar-eco drive watches literally last forever? I’m sure I saw somewhere on the citizen website that they say the cell will last about ten years. Can you replace it then?

7 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

Other than the “laziness factor” of having to wind up a manual each day vs not with an auto (assuming you wear it every day or two), is there much else that differentiates the two? 

I don’t have a manual currently, but I rotate wear of my autos so (especially during lockdown), I wind them up pretty much every time I wear them anyway.

Another question (sorry going off topic slightly here - but helping me decide how to answer the question :biggrin:)  do solar-eco drive watches literally last forever? I’m sure I saw somewhere on the citizen website that they say the cell will last about ten years. Can you replace it then?

Solar watches tend to use a capacitor rather than a cell and they can sometimes fail after a time, rather like a rechargeable battery not holding its charge. They are readily available and can be swapped out fairly easily.

On 14/05/2021 at 03:53, Rotundus said:

... or did I ?

I am starting to think this really ... plus a hand wind :laughing2dw:

Yes, there's a reason nobody liked or even reacted to your post. Bunch of hogwash drivel.

• Haha 1