• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This, this, or that?

So far in my GMT hunt I'm between a few...

1. Detroit Watch Company

2. Tsao Baltimore

3. Yema

I'm worried the Detroit is too Seamsteresque. It's also just another Swiss made watch among the billions of them. I love that it's blue sunburst with orange, rather than the average red accents.

Tsao, I hate the brand name, sounds like something from AliExpress, also looks very Nautilus/Royal Oak-esque. However that fumed dial is to die for and the case design is also! Also blue with orange!!! Sandwich dial is phenomenal as well. All positive but that damn name. Could you get past it? Sounds and looks like you bought it on Wish!

Yema, the only thing I don't like is that it's all brushed. I like dimension and contrast to my watches, so I like brushed mixed with polished surfaces. It's also an inhouse movement and French made, which is a hole in my collection that I'd love to fill. But it's the boring old dime a dozen blue with red accents. Love the bezel on this thing!!!

None are perfect, although Detroit is pretty close, but it's the most expensive. All are worth considering. What is your choice and why?

43mm_GMT_Diver_layouts.jpg

steelBluelegacygmt3_1080x.jpg

YEMA-Navygraf-Marine-nationale-GMT-Limited-Edition-2.jpg

As much as I lean toward the Tsao, I just cannot do that AliExpress sounding brand. I told the owner that as well. We had a nice discussion, I expressed my views and he was cool and understanding. Makes me want to support him, but I just can't do it by buying one of his watches. Can you imagine...

Q: "What is that watch?"

A: "It's a... Zscho? A Tao? A Sao? A Tao? A .. ah fkkk it it's a watch with a bland logo that really is nice but had terrible branding."

Nope, no thanks. Next!

16 minutes ago, AVO said:

Yema.  Simple and reasonably elegant. Also I suspect the most legible of the three, but it’s difficult to tell from photographs. 

I'm curious what your take us on the Detroit? You chose the Yema, but it's that because you disliked the Detroit, or just liked the Yema more? Do you get that Omega vibe like I pointed out?

It would be between the Detroit and the Yema for me, not so keen on the other irrespective of its silly name.

I do see the Seamaster in the Detroit, but that would slightly worry me that I might end up feeling like it's a Parnis or Pauline's homage, rather than a proper watch in its own right.

I prefer the Yema, but it's a brand I've been looking at for sometime and want to try at some point.

Good luck however you go.

43 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I'm curious what your take us on the Detroit? You chose the Yema, but it's that because you disliked the Detroit, or just liked the Yema more? Do you get that Omega vibe like I pointed out?

I just think the Yema is the nicer looking watch. I find the dial a bit fussy on the Detroit, and I really don’t like the hands. Or the crown at 10 o’clock.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AVO said:

I just think the Yema is the nicer looking watch. I find the dial a bit fussy on the Detroit, and I really don’t like the hands. Or the crown at 10 o’clock.

Hands like cartoon syringe's

I’ll stick with the Yema, it looks as though it has always been there if that makes sense but that Tsao is a really nice looking watch. I agree on the name being off putting though.

I've read a lot of negative reviews on the Yema and I much prefer the hands of the Detroit. As well as the finishing of it. Plus it's from the US. I want a French watch, but maybe not this one. Once Yema gets their stuff together perhaps. Or a ZRC maybe? Hmmmm now that's got potential. If only they didn't do the blue in titanium only.

Detroit for me - I like that it's a divers watch with an extra GMT function instead of being a dedicated GMT watch. As such the bezel can be used for timing things - should the need arise - unlike the other two that have GMT bezels. I've never heard of the make either which adds a certain bit of exclusivity (to my mind at least) & I like he styling. I'm not keen on compressor cases/internal bezels so that rules the Tsao out (I do like the sandwich dial though). The Yema's looks nice but also a bit generic/bland (nothing new) they're supposed to be great quality though so that would probably be my second choice :thumbs_up:

My preference is for the Yema.

Tsao is out for me, due to the name mostly. It's also the least nice looking to me. 

The Detroit for me is too much of the SMP with that bezel. The dial is also very busy, although I do like the use of a diving bezel as opposed to the traditional GMT.

Yema is a nice looking watch, and I like that it is different- French with an in-house movement. 

Bit late to the party but would also say Yema. Although, as above, they’ve got a couple I quite like and haven’t pulled the trigger - no idea about this particular watch, but the ones I have seen are on the cusp of being slightly pricey (new) I think.