• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Buying online

Hi All. Given the ongoing global pandemic I have recently been looking to buy a pre-owned PAM online. I have to say some of the prices look good but they vary wildly between the retailers from Watchfinder to Est 1897 and watch box. When spending this type of money it's difficult to sift through, especially in also wanting to avoid very good replicas. So I thought I would see if anyone out there had any experiences or even recommendations of who to use or even not to use as the case may be. 

4 minutes ago, MartinH61 said:

Hi All. Given the ongoing global pandemic I have recently been looking to buy a pre-owned PAM online. I have to say some of the prices look good but they vary wildly between the retailers from Watchfinder to Est 1897 and watch box. When spending this type of money it's difficult to sift through, especially in also wanting to avoid very good replicas. So I thought I would see if anyone out there had any experiences or even recommendations of who to use or even not to use as the case may be. 

Personally, for that value I'd be wanting to see it on my wrist before parting with any money, so it would be the "Bricks and Mortar" experience only.

• Agree 5

Given the likely cost, I agree with the replies of "in person being best", but if your personal situation means going out to the shops is problematic, or the location where you live means that the pool in which to view such watches is fairly shallow without a longer journey (I doubt I'd find many AD's for Panerai here in the Fen's, for example), then online is an option, but ensure:

1) It is a reputable (and ideally sizeable) seller - check their reviews, see who else on here has purchased from them, etc...

2) Use a credit card for the purchase (either all or in part, you get some protection either way).

3) Make sure that you understand your rights under the distance selling regulations (some details here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations-aAijb9Q8UT3V ) and make sure that you follow the right steps, in the right timeframe, if you do buy online and then encounter any problems or concerns.

4) Make sure to share lots of picture and a review on here for us all to jealously pander over once it arrives.

Good luck, hope you find the one (unlike Alpha it seems :laughing2dw: )

Edited by Bricey
clarification
  • Thanks 1

As someone who will be on the hunt for a PAM in the coming months ... there is no way I would risk that particular model being bought on a punt. They are just too easily faked .....  I would only buy pre-owned from a B&M source with history .... 

• Thanks 1

Est1897 is the online shop for H&T pawnbrokers. While I'm sure their stock is all legitimate, I'm yet to see a watch with box and papers , they almost all say "comes with authentication card", which from experience is just a worthless bit of laminated card with their name on it. 

For buying high end pre owned there aren't many places I'd trust. Chrono24 is usually safe though the advice to buy the seller always applies.  There are plenty of respectable jewellers with good websites. Milton's is always excellent, Mark Worthingtons always has a selection of Pam watches. I'll have a think, there are a few others.

Watchfinder gets a mixed rep on the forums but despite being a bit pricey they are 100% reputable, I'd buy from there no problem.  Sign up to their mailing list, they used to send out discounts and early access to clearance sales. 

Which panerai by the way? I'm curious.  It's a brand that never quite grabbed me. I once upset the manager of WoS in Manchester, I was trying on a Longines Legend and asked about the pannies (no other stockists in town). He got a model out of the display and proudly informed me that if I bought one, it would never be enough, I'd always come back to the brand.    He looked :laugh:a bit offended when I laughed and told him one would be plenty as they all looked the same.  

Edited by kevkojak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

I want to thank you all for taking the time to reply. Indeed I live out in the middle of nowhere and the pandemic is not helping. I will look around a few of the online stores mentioned and maybe I can show some patience (wife doesn't understand the rush) and wait for bricks and mortar to be an option again. In terms of why the PAM. Over the last few years I have had a few high end watches but every since trying on the PAM of a friend I always liked the way it looked and felt on my wrist. I have tried to put it to one side but always come back to wanting one.

• Like 1

Govberg and The Watch Box are very good......and incredibly knowledgeable watch people. Watchfinder are a big corporation these days and need to cover their increasing costs so they tend to be priced on the high side of things. Ive had some very good experiences with Chronext in the past, they are a happy medium of decent prices and customer service. 

Also search Chrono24, then scroll to the bottom to find which company is selling the watch, if you go onto that companies website you can often find the same watch with about 10% off the chrono24 price because their fee isnt added onto the sale price.

just to add, it obviously depends on your location....if youre UK based, expect to add on around 23% to the watchbox/govberg prices to account for VAT and import duties

• Thanks 1