• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Liking the look of the new (old) Seiko's

Bricey

And they fit with the recent discussion of "New Vintage" watches.

Sacrilegious I know, but I've never been a big fan of Seiko, those I've had (admittedly not their top end models) have never inspired much joy with me, not keen on the thick double deep bezel, prefer crowns at 3 and not 4-5, and the bracelets have all been a little clicky and cheap feeling.

But these....

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/presage/special/style60s/

....these look really nice to me.

de01_sp.jpg

srpg05j1.jpg

Even the cut away version looks nice imo...

de03_sp.jpg

Interested to see how they are priced when released next month.

Edited by Bricey
I don't write good
  • Like 5

I do really like them but Seiko are a bit late to the party here - over the past 5 years every brand from Rotary to Omega have had a pop at this "retro" styling, I'm surprised Seiko are hopping on the bandwagon.  They had some success with the Recraft models (which were very much a modern take on the classic case styles), and the Turtle re-issue lit a fire under collectors, who've hoovered them up in their millions. This one though... it feels more of a cash-in. 

I'll be interested to see the prices.  Under the Presage line, presuming they aren't limited run, I'd expect them to sit right above the "Cocktail Time" - maybe retail at £600-£800.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

Price will be the big one, as I do think there are probably existing alternatives which are equally as nice/nicer.

Given that this is a design type, stylistically, that we have seen used a lot by microbrands in recent years (those little kickstarters churning out 500 watches at $300-400) wouldn't it be wonderful if Seiko, with their huge infrastructure already in place and the massive economies of scale that they would be able to acheive (not to mention that those microbrands were often giving 10-20% of their profit straight to Seiko for the movment, where as Seiko will get to keep the full ticket price themselves) if they matched the pricing up and knocked these out under £500?

I worry that they won't even come in around the £600+ that you could pick up a comparable CW for (with the £100 off of course), and that we will see a ticket price of £800+.

Hope they surprise me, but not holding my breath.

• Like 1

Seiko out an actual original one.

large.20210504_095155.jpg.f8bb0f53f1e5adfba3f5c6513f78a48c.jpg

Yeah, the bracelet needs a new one (currently in transit) and I have no idea how long this 1975 ticking bomb will last.. 

Good examples are out there (better than this one) and they have their charm. "Cheap as chips" and loads of fun. 

Don't buy "new vintage", get the real deal..

Hold on I'm being taken over by David Dickinson on tv just now.. God help me if I begin to go orange.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2021 at 05:04, kevkojak said:

I do really like them but Seiko are a bit late to the party here - over the past 5 years every brand from Rotary to Omega have had a pop at this "retro" styling, I'm surprised Seiko are hopping on the bandwagon.  They had some success with the Recraft models (which were very much a modern take on the classic case styles), and the Turtle re-issue lit a fire under collectors, who've hoovered them up in their millions. This one though... it feels more of a cash-in. 

I'll be interested to see the prices.  Under the Presage line, presuming they aren't limited run, I'd expect them to sit right above the "Cocktail Time" - maybe retail at £600-£800.

Buddy, come on, Seiko is late to every party. That's their MO. That and not doing anything as well. Didn't used to be so, but it assuredly is now. Sad. So very sad.

But yeah, back to the op. Those look nice. A lot of Seiko offerings look nice, based on marketing photos. I'm person is where they always let me down. I pray that's not the case for those buying them.

2 hours ago, Bricey said:

This article gives a further review on these vintage inspired Seiko's and suggests that the price will be £420-£465 dependant on the model/bracelet, which actually looks very good value to me if correct.

They are using one of their basic movements in these, so that I would suggest is why they can keep the costs down. In reality, I can't even see how they are justifying adding the 'Presage' description to these, other than for the 'vintage' styling, nice as they are. A good entry level watch though nonetheless and a bit different to the "5s". I can see them doing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artistmike said:

They are using one of their basic movements in these, so that I would suggest is why they can keep the costs down. In reality, I can't even see how they are justifying adding the 'Presage' description to these, other than for the 'vintage' styling, nice as they are. A good entry level watch though nonetheless and a bit different to the "5s". I can see them doing well.

Maybe they read on here how little most of us know about the actual movements! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

A no date version would interest me ... but the date window does not work on these for me ...

+1 from me. I think the watch in first picture (the run Chronograph?) in the OP's link was the original design that has 'inspired' the designs. Why not make one like that with no date? Or maybe, a black faced one - again with no date - nice!

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 07:13, JayDeep said:

Buddy, come on, Seiko is late to every party. That's their MO. That and not doing anything as well. Didn't used to be so, but it assuredly is now. Sad. So very sad.

But yeah, back to the op. Those look nice. A lot of Seiko offerings look nice, based on marketing photos. I'm person is where they always let me down. I pray that's not the case for those buying them.

An observation;  You do seem very down on... well, everything.   I think I can count on one hand the number of positive comments you make on other people's threads.    Just an observation, of course.   It's nice to see people be so publically wrong, and yet so noisy about it,  a very American trait. :wink:

While your comment was an opinion, it's an indisputable fact that Seiko are still innovators in the industry and exceptionally good at 90% of what they do.  Good watches, bold designs and constant progression (though in this case admittedly their "progression" is a step backwards). 

Ah well. Imagine if we could all be right. :laughing2dw:

(To the chorus of "USA, USA, USA):rltrlt::rltrlt:

Edited by kevkojak
  • Agree 2