• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Watch for the big 50

Was thinking of getting a new watch (for me anyway) to celebrate this landmark and wanted some ideas from you all.

I currently have a Speedy chrono and an older beater Seamster as my day to day but nothing that's dressier. Budget is 3-5k happy to consider 2nd hand or new, only "real watches" ie, manual or automatic. I have a largish wrist of about 7.5 inches so larger watch are ok but nothing below 38mm.

I've agonised over this for months already and really like the Cartier Santos Galbee ( probably large but not sure need to try them on as not tried a square watch before), Omega Aquaterra ( but would be nice to get different brand) and Dornbluth out of these Dornbluth is probably front runner.

Would appreciate any suggestions your thanks in advance.

Gezza

It's a 50 year watch, perhaps something from 50 years ago will give you a little tickle thinking that it has been here the same time as you. 

You can cut through the "will it work" by getting a good service (much like a doctor's visit) and try to outlive the watch. 

When you think about how many watches you actually own.. wouldn't it be good to wear something that has been around for just as long as you have and isn't that exactly what you are celebrating? 50 years of being here in this world. 

It's just a thought and a nice consideration.

I do have a 1971 Seiko GMT that's a birth year watch but it's a bit of a beater, automatic, no winding, no hacking so when it does not get worn it's a PITA to get set up again.

So if I put some budget behind it what was a good section option in 1971 that's around now?

Oh, you have to ask someone with a bigger knowledge of timepieces than me. I'm sure that people will come in with suggestions for you. 

Also nice modern pieces too. 

I'm more of a sentimental collector of oddball watches without an encyclopedic database but I do appreciate the relationship a piece can have to it's owner.. that's why I suggested that 50 year idea.

21 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

Tudor Black Bay 41.

I got one for my 50th a couple of years ago. Great watch and you can wear it with anything.

I’ve got one coming for my 50th very soon!!!!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Never heard of Dornbluth before. Had a quick look and they certainly have some lovely looking watches. Not sure what the resale value would be because the manufacturer isnt well known.

22 minutes ago, chas g said:

Never heard of Dornbluth before. Had a quick look and they certainly have some lovely looking watches. Not sure what the resale value would be because the manufacturer isnt well known.

@yokel has one of the finest examples you will ever see ... a truly sublime watch ...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chas g said:

Lovely watches, and in my case most definitely a life long keeper, so resale wouldn't be an issue. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Look some more..

No doubt that they make some beautiful watches but i have never heard of them before which makes me wonder how the fare on the resale market 

20 minutes ago, chas g said:

No doubt that they make some beautiful watches but i have never heard of them before which makes me wonder how the fare on the resale market 

They are quite sort after.  Hard to find used.  Excellent choice.

Alternatively there are the watches from Zenith or Grand Seiko to tempt you.  Larger watches from 1971 are available but harder to find, and the best options are probably from Omega which is already well represented.  Nearly new you might find a Breguet type xx or Glashutte Original, and as a wildcard how about a Panerai?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chas g said:

If you are going to get yourself a watch to celebrate your half century, but worry about resale value, I'd advise a sports Rolex. [I'm afraid my view on that is outlined in my signature].

If you would like a beautiful watch, made by hand by true craftsmen  --  and which will be very rare indeed (they make only around two hundred pieces each year)  --  you might think about picking up the phone on Dirk Dornblüth.

20210406ay-1000.JPG

20180621b-1000.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

@yokel has one of the finest examples you will ever see ... a truly sublime watch ...

I was scrolling down to suggest you take your budget  give it to @yokel and let him pick for you, the man's taste is impeccable.

If he's busy I'll introduce you to my uncle Jim.

1 hour ago, yokel said:

If you are going to get yourself a watch to celebrate your half century, but worry about resale value, I'd advise a sports Rolex. [I'm afraid my view on that is outlined in my signature].

If you would like a beautiful watch, made by hand by true craftsmen  --  and which will be very rare indeed (they make only around two hundred pieces each year)  --  you might think about picking up the phone on Dirk Dornblüth.

20210406ay-1000.JPG

20180621b-1000.JPG

Yokel thank you for sending the video, I will have a look on the morning.

13 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

It's a 50 year watch, perhaps something from 50 years ago will give you a little tickle thinking that it has been here the same time as you. 

You can cut through the "will it work" by getting a good service (much like a doctor's visit) and try to outlive the watch. 

When you think about how many watches you actually own.. wouldn't it be good to wear something that has been around for just as long as you have and isn't that exactly what you are celebrating? 50 years of being here in this world. 

It's just a thought and a nice consideration.

Dressy, listen to @yokel, add grand Seiko, call it good.

Happens often in forums.

In this post alone, It was GezzaT that asked about the birthday watch but I think he got mixed up with chas asking about resale of Dornbluth at one point. 

In forums I have also seen quick answers given that might not be seen as originally intended or as funny as they were meant to be. It often gives people the wrong impression. 

Wrong key presses, spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes.. it can all go horribly wrong fast.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, chas g said:

Resale is pretty strong because they have a 10 month leas time at the moment!

If you like Dornbluth, have a look at the Garrick S4. Larger, dressy watches from a good UK company.

For a vintage piece, GS are a great shout but not sure how large they got in the early 70s. I think large dress watches will be a tough ask - of you could go sporty then the options are much larger.

All the classics for the"One watch guy" Explorer 1 , Oyster perpetual , Aqua terra , Railmaster , Seamaster , Tudor Black Bay 36 just to name the standards.

That Dornbluth is stunning

Is it within the said budget?