• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Rado service: replacement strap saga

Georga

Question

Hi everyone, First post.

I've come looking for some advice on my Rado watch. I purchased it back in 2007 with some money my dad left me. Very long story short: I had a very particular design in mind and the Sintra jubilee with black stingray leather strap and black dial (and the diamond surround) ticked all the boxes. 

Fast-forward 14 years and I decided to send the watch away for a service. It's had some wear and needed a new battery anyway. So took it the a jewellers who sent it to Rado. Rado are now holding my watch ransom, having apparently completed the service on the workings, however refusing to sign-off the service until I pay for a ceramic strap,

I don't want a ceramic strap. I want a leather strap. Hence the reason why I spent 3 months looking for the watch in the first place. Rado say they can't source a leather strap and so I must pay £750 for a ceramic strap before they will return my watch (minus leather strap, so I can't even re-fit it myself). 

I'm fuming. 

Any advice?

3 answers to this question

Has the information about the ceramic strap being necessary come via the jewellers or direct to you from Rado?.

best get the info on it direct.

has it gone to a Rado service centre in U.K. or Switzerland……Options again for direct contact .

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bridgeman said:

Has the information about the ceramic strap being necessary come via the jewellers or direct to you from Rado?.

best get the info on it direct.

has it gone to a Rado service centre in U.K. or Switzerland……Options again for direct contact .

The jewellers contacted me with the info, I think it's gone to Rado in Switzerland if I remember correctly. I asked them to forward me the details via email but still waiting to hear back. I've emailed Rado to confirm what I have been told.

If they could put the same design strap on I'd happily pay them whatever they charged me, but I just hate ceramic straps. I don't find them comfy at all.

I also don't understand why they have to replace the strap when the service warranty clearly only covers the workings of the watch (I checked before sending it off). They have also done the service and replaced the battery already, when I was told they would only do work once it was all confirmed. So confusing.

Just had a horrible thought that they've damaged the strap or something. Starting to wish I'd forfeited the service and just took it to timpsons!