• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Vintage Girard-Perregaux - 1930s?

Gen

A very sweet little watch arrived in the post for me today; a 22mm Girard-Perregaux ladies watch, which winds and works seemingly perfectly. I took it to my usual jeweller/watch repair shop and they thought likely 1930s. They weren't able to tell me much more about it though. We confirmed the calibre number is 83BE 546, and they said it has had been serviced 4 times. 

I phoned a few watch repairers in London (including The Antique Watch Company and a place in Hatton Garden) but they said they don't deal with ladies' GPs any more because they can't get the parts. (I don't need parts! I just want to know more about this watch!)

If anyone can help me understand more about the watch, or point me to someone either online or in London who can, I'd be very grateful :) ( I can't get these pictures to show up smaller, so apologies for the size...)

IMG_0202

IMG_0209

IMG_0203

IMG_0199

IMG_0208

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Gen said:

If anyone can help me understand more about the watch, or point me to someone either online or in London who can, I'd be very grateful :) ( I can't get these pictures to show up smaller, so apologies for the size...)

No need to apologise for the pictures, in watch identification big is better. And sharp too, you should see some of the tiny blurred images we're asked to identify.

I assume you've already searched for Girard-Perregaux and found out the history of the company. The movement looks familiar, but 83BE doesn't bring up anything useful. Someone here with wider knowledge may be able to recognise it.

On the back "K.B." could be Fabrique de boîtes Bielna S. A., a case maker in Bienne, Switzerland active in the 1930s. "Plaque Or Lamine 20 microns" is the thickness of the gold plate. 20 microns is a bit better than the more common 10. "Lunette", according to the online dictionary of watchmaking terms, means "Watch case bezel. Ring fitted to the caseband and bearing the crystal".  That's all I can contribute, others may have more.

• Like 1

Ahhh, thanks for that.  I had a hunch it was a 1940's AS but, despite searching for ages, couldn't track it down as I was looking at slightly larger sizes.  I can relax now :laugh:

@Gen for more information about your watch you could try contacting GP directly via their online contact form and select "Heritage" as the topic or, for a London shop who may help, try Alsal on Strand.   

• Like 1

Thanks for this, everyone! Yeah - I know the general history of GP but wasn't quite sure how to go about tracking down this watch's history, so thanks for this - it's a big help!

I had guessed it was '40s or '50s, I was surprised when my jewellery said 1930s! So 40s makes sense :) 

I can get to the Strand so I'll try Alsal - thanks for the recommendation!

I usually go for men's chronographs, this watch is very small and off-piste for me but I'm already very attached to it so it's lovely to find out a bit more about it :) 

• Like 1