• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Can a Rolex watch be stealth Wealth

Hello Everyone, 

Be Gentle as this is an early post of mine but I need your help! I just do not think of any Rolex being stealthy wealth on my wrist but some say they can be. In my opinion they are just to crisp of watches and peoples eyes fly towards that Rolex crown, or two-tone bracelet, or even diamonds. I was thinking straight off the bat that the Explorer 214270 would be the stealthiest one out there but I am not sure the market agrees. Ill be continusly checking out the content that I can on this subject to finally get a definitive answer, but for now its a NO. Change my mind please so I can find an everyday Rolex to wear!

Out of the watches this guy chose which one would you consider to be stealthy because I just do not see it. If I am wearing a Rolex it will most definetly be shining on my wrist towards others eyes, which is not ideal for my everyday watch.  I just do not see it, but I WANT TO! Let me know your opinions please and thank you!

Stealth wealth? Nah!.. what?

Is this..

Option 1. "things you can wear that are incredibly expencive but are hidden a little because you are modest or a bit shy"?

Option 2. "objects you can buy/gift to avoid paying tax etc."

I guess its option 1. "things you can wear.." a bit like a personal jewelery version of having a Van Gogh hanging in your bedroom and when anyone sees it giving it a casual wave and saying "what THAT old thing" and giving a laugh of dismissal.

"Oh no.. see this watch isn't the ultra rare black bezel edition in platinum worth $250,000... this one is just the normal dark blue bezel edition in brushed steel worth $25,000.. im not that wealthy.. hahahaha.. oh dear.. no.. not me.."

Its all blampf anyway designed to try and make wealthy people buy incredibly expensive objects. The people that I've known and know that are wealthy enough to buy these things.. don't.

See.. although I joked about it near the start of this post, its actually option 2 that has the most truth in it. These things mostly live in safes and perhaps get worn once a year for a few hours during photo opportunities. 

Stealth wealth.. "yeah.. see 'this' is a Seiko" (but I'm not telling anyone about my collection of "Piguet" I keep in the bank.. especially not the taxman).

Edit.. just buying and owning a Rolex or any watch falling into the expencive bracket isn't "stealth wealth" its just "owning a watch".

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I suppose if you have a yellow gold Rolex then you are showing that you have some wealth and adding diamonds is just adding bling. If you go for white gold or platinum then many people might take it for the stainless steel version and you could argue that you are concealing the true cost and that is maybe stealth wealth.

If you want a Rolex that doesn't shout Rolex, then maybe you are looking at the wrong brand?  Having a Piaget, Ulysse Nardin, or Jaeger-LeCoultre shows class, knowledge and only a few will appreciate it.

If not buy a Rolex Cellini in white gold. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Having a Piaget, Ulysse Nardin, or Jaeger-LeCoultre shows class, knowledge and only a few will appreciate it.

You rang, m’lord?

94CA0508-F4B4-421A-BDBB-88822E8530E3.thumb.jpeg.93a950102dcfa1428cc6e423f102c062.jpeg

Rolex make some fine watches, to be sure, but as far as ivory towers and castles in the air go they are just a step on the ladder. The problem is that many people think they are the top step on the ladder, so they appeal to the arriviste.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Stealth wealth.. "yeah.. see 'this' is a Seiko" (but I'm not telling anyone about my collection of "Piguet" I keep in the bank.. especially not the taxman).

https://www.watchpro.com/prosecutors-crack-down-on-retailers-selling-rolex-watches-for-cash/

Never mind the tax man watches are also a favourite of the criminal fraternity for moving money around although these days I suspect Crypto is the new "Rolex Day Date" hence the recent popularity of Bit Coin. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I have stealth wealth - still physically fit, but I pant like the blazes after running up a hill, just for effect, to conceal my physical prowess!

No-one cares about your money.

Stealth wealth lol.

Stealth wealth.

Stealthy wealthy melthy.

Just buy a decent watch for heaven's sake.  Something that will still be running in a hundred year's time.

117253383_293336545070923_7339537589978805667_n.thumb.jpg.2dbec28f8cea6691c0502c05656eaf02.jpg

May Ball.  Modern Languages.  Greats.  Stealth Wealth.

Buy a Rolex and stick 'Gigandet' over the logo. 

Stealth wealth.

Or buy a Rolex and keep it in your pocket.

Or just get new friends.

Round here "peoples eyes fly" to the cyclops on the sapphire glass and before you know it you have been mugged and some scrote is flying down the road with your Rolex. I had 3 and got rid of all of them because of the risk of being mugged. I wouldn't buy any watch with a cyclops.

I would consider a lovely Rolex cellini or indeed a Rolex sports without the "come and mug me" cyclops.

35 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have stealth wealth - still physically fit, but I pant like the blazes after running up a hill, just for effect, to conceal my physical prowess!

No-one cares about your money.

Stealth wealth lol.

Stealth wealth.

Stealthy wealthy melthy.

Just buy a decent watch for heaven's sake.  Something that will still be running in a hundred year's time.

117253383_293336545070923_7339537589978805667_n.thumb.jpg.2dbec28f8cea6691c0502c05656eaf02.jpg

May Ball.  Modern Languages.  Greats.  Stealth Wealth.

Buy a Rolex and stick 'Gigandet' over the logo. 

Stealth wealth.

Or buy a Rolex and keep it in your pocket.

Or just get new friends.

The Sleaford Mods are having that for their next album.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

https://www.watchpro.com/prosecutors-crack-down-on-retailers-selling-rolex-watches-for-cash/

Never mind the tax man watches are also a favourite of the criminal fraternity for moving money around although these days I suspect Crypto is the new "Rolex Day Date" hence the recent popularity of Bit Coin. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I'm surprised there isn't a Rolexcoin already; the perfect amalgam. :huh:

Then Rolex could just dispense with the inconvenience of making enough watches to meet demand and simply stop production altogether and then sit back and watch (no pun intended) both the value of used Rolexes and of Rolexcoin shoot for the stars in a never-ending upward trajectory. :thumbsup:

It's the future I tell you!

And if Rolex is reading this, I'll accept 0.1% of Rolexcoin profits as a royalty for using my idea. You can't say fairer than that! :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

This post seems like mental retardation to me. No is the obvious answer. Rolex could never be stealthy anything to anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together. But that begs the questions why would you want stealthy and if that's what you want then why on earth buy a watch that screams "I'm rich"? Also, why would you care if your watch does that?

Look, there's nothing special about Rolex. Zero. Sorry but that's reality. There are thousands of watch brands that could match them for quality. I know that's not a popular opinion, but it's fact regardless. So you gotta ask yourself what you want? Do you want quality or do you want brand name flash? There's no exclusivity here. You can have your cake and eat it too. I could name you dozens of brands right now. So ask yourself and determine. You want stealth? That's different things to different people. If you're rich you tend to hand around other rich people, because it's where you live and where you go. A product of your surroundings in a way. So they too have Rolex, and off course they will recognize it. But they won't care. Why would they? It's par for the course.

Or you're a fraud with a fake trying to figure out if you can actually pull off the fake you just bought and how to position it. I'm guessing that's the case. But I have no faith in people and assume the worst about you all at all times.

• Like 2

Interesting. Over the past 40 years or so I've had 2 36mm Explorers, one after the other. No one has ever noticed, and because I don't tell them, and they don't bother about such things, none of my friends know either. Yet a close friend has a gold Yacht Master that he loves to flash about as his component of conspicuous consumption, so perhaps it is not the Rolex that is stealth, but more like it's owner.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Yet a close friend has a gold Yacht Master that he loves to flash about as his component of conspicuous consumption, so perhaps it is not the Rolex that is stealth, but more like it's owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JayDeep said:

But I have no faith in people and assume the worst about you all at all times.

You can trust me buddy, I will never pretend to not be as despicable as I truly am. :evil9kf:

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Interesting. Over the past 40 years or so I've had 2 36mm Explorers, one after the other. No one has ever noticed, and because I don't tell them, and they don't bother about such things, none of my friends know either. Yet a close friend has a gold Yacht Master that he loves to flash about as his component of conspicuous consumption, so perhaps it is not the Rolex that is stealth, but more like it's owner.

I would wager that in the vast majority of pubs across the land if you walked in wearing your 36mm explorer and someone else walked in wearing one of those crazy S Force from the other thread, or even a Diesel Big Daddy, in the event of anyone in the pub even noticing a watch let alone being bothered enough to make conversation it would be the big bold that gets noticed 7-8 times out of 10.

You can spend a little or a lotto, but the choice you make, how you wear it (or flash it) and your personality is what gains most attention.

Its the person more than the watch every time.

• Like 1

The idea of using Rolex (mostly quite "in your face" bling), and "stealth" (meaning to go unnoticed) in the same phrase seems a little bit of an oxymoron to me :bash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I would wager that in the vast majority of pubs across the land if you walked in wearing your 36mm explorer and someone else walked in wearing one of those crazy S Force from the other thread, or even a Diesel Big Daddy, in the event of anyone in the pub even noticing a watch let alone being bothered enough to make conversation it would be the big bold that gets noticed 7-8 times out of 10.

The 36 mm Explorer is probably the best example of a Rolex that goes under the radar. Equally, I suspect that not too many people (unless in the know) would spot a simple, black dialled Submariner. Before I really got into watches I automatically thought of every Rolex as a Datejust. 

Some watches lend themselves to wider perception more easily than others. My friends all know that I’m into watches, and if I wear the Tank someone will probably say – nice Cartier...they’re pretty easy to spot! The Moonwatch is not so recognisable outside watchie and space-nerd circles, and concerning my latest addition I doubt whether any of my friends have even heard of Ulysse Nardin! 

Edited by AVO

just to say all people who own a rolex are not rich ,i can personally guarantee that!:yes: ,and some people have them because they actually like the design better than other equally quality watches , people could but a Steinhart and could keep 10 K in the bank, but were is the fun in that :biggrin:

deano

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I'm surprised there isn't a Rolexcoin already; the perfect amalgam. :huh:

Then Rolex could just dispense with the inconvenience of making enough watches to meet demand and simply stop production altogether and then sit back and watch (no pun intended) both the value of used Rolexes and of Rolexcoin shoot for the stars in a never-ending upward trajectory. :thumbsup:

It's the future I tell you!

And if Rolex is reading this, I'll accept 0.1% of Rolexcoin profits as a royalty for using my idea. You can't say fairer than that! :laughing2dw:

I was wrong @BondandBigM.  Someone has thought of it already.

Rolex Watch U.S.A., Inc. has registered the domain name 'rolexcoin.com' as long ago as 2013, either for their own use or to stop anyone else from using it - there is no active website.

Says alot about the perceived relative importance of the brand name versus the actual products. :hmmm9uh:

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Yet a close friend has a gold Yacht Master that he loves to flash about as his component of conspicuous consumption...

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Before I really got into watches I automatically thought of every Rolex as a Datejust.

Perhaps the wider folklore impression amongst the general public of 'a Rolex' as THE 'gold watch' based on historic image - it's only in recent years that SS versions have taken the sales lead.  Gold itself is 'flashy', yellow gold in particular, and definitely not under-the-radar, unless its stolen bullion of course...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVO said:

The 36 mm Explorer is probably the best example of a Rolex that goes under the radar. Equally, I suspect that not too many people (unless in the know) would spot a simple, black dialled Submariner. Before I really got into watches I automatically thought of every Rolex as a Datejust. 

Some watches lend themselves to wider perception more easily than others. My friends all know that I’m into watches, and if I wear the Tank someone will probably say – nice Cartier...they’re pretty easy to spot! The Moonwatch is not so recognisable outside watchie and space-nerd circles, and concerning my latest addition I doubt whether any of my friends have even heard of Ulysse Nardin! 

Mine could certainly slip under the radar. I think it's the most plain timepiece I own. large.20200829_102833.jpg.b25169f2582583076114611b4783bc18.jpg

• Like 3

When I was a kid I was smitten by a Submariner , they were cool , James Bond wore one , we all thought they were the best you could buy(didn't now any better) and they were ridiculously expensive , virtually unobtainable to us kids from the other side of the tracks , there's nothing like throwing down the challenge to a kid of "you'll never be able to get one of these" I now do know better , there are better watches out there some more reasonably priced and readily available ,  I love my Sub immensely and I aim to buy another Rolex because I like their more simple and subtle watches , i like the fact that Rolex tends to evolve their watches over an extended period , i find it comforting that the models run for decades

Rolex explorer or a white gold Cellini D effo the least conspicuos Rolex , circles I run in nobody ever notices what's on your wrist.