• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ruhla Watch - Any dating information / maintenance advice?

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired a Ruhla watch and am hoping some of you might be able to make a more educated guess than I can at the age of it. The person I bought this from thought it was 1980s but were no more specific than that (which makes me think that might have been a wild guess!). A couple of things I've read online make me suspect it could be a little older but I'm no expert!

It's an unusual blue, almost teal / turquoise colour with "Ruhla", "Antimagnetic" and  "Made in Germany" printed on in white. There's a date dial with red numbers on white and it has whatever the little magnifying bit over the date in the acrylic crystal is called! ('Date en-bigger-er'?). The back appears to be a snap-on case back. I have looked all around the edge but cannot see a lip anywhere for lifting the case back off. 

I would like to be able to take the case back off if anyone can advise how to safely do this. 

The hour hand appears to occasionally (not always) lag behind in varying degrees. E.g it is sometimes shows on the hour when the minute hand it as half-past (half an hour behind), or sometimes shows just before the hour when the minute hand is at 12 (just a few minutes behind). I suspect it has not been worn or wound for years so am currently winding it up and just allowing it to run for a few days to see if this loosens up any stuck workings. Any other tips? Things to check to diagnose any other problems? All advice much appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Chris

NXU88TT.jpg

2L7sxZw.jpg

geVXf39.jpg

h73kYA9.jpg

'Date en-bigger-er'

I believe that is the authentic German name for it.

:biggrin:

Oh, and @Balaton1109 is probably a good bet for knowing or pointing you in the best direction to find its history, should change his handle to "watchwiki".

A complete guess from me would be that the 80's doesn't look a bad shout, bit it could easily date back as far as the later 60's (just the colouring making me feel its more recent).

Good luck.

Some reading for research until someone more knowledgeable answers the call

https://medium.com/@Grigory/history-of-the-ruhla-brand-the-first-watch-to-be-mass-produced-and-the-first-german-watch-in-space-f5d2ba2aba09

Ruhla in the 1980s — the biggest watch factory in the world

Watch models from the 1980s

In the 1980s Ruhla’s watchmaking industry had reached its peak. It employed over 8000 people in the design and manufacture of watches, watch movements as well as watch production machinery. Such a degree of vertical integration was not possible anywhere else in the world, so Ruhla quite likely became the world’s largest watchmaking plant.

Watch models from the 1980s

Edited by Bricey
Pictures went weird
  • Like 1