• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Discontinued watches

Hey everyone!

I was just surfing some watches casually and I came across the topic of discontinued watches. Even though I understand of course the need of manufacturers of taking some references out of production, I really didn't find a way to get to know myself when does this happen? Like, isn't there any kind of periodically published stuff from manufacturers or smth to understand what is being currently produced and what's out of production? 
As a customer I would find it extremely helpful as if I'm eyeing a particular reference and save the money for it, if I get the communication of its discontinued status I would hurry up and buy it for example, what are the reasons I'm not seeing??

Thank for whatever answer :)

To be honest if I had a specific model in mind I would drop the manufacturer a line and ask, they are usually helpful. Mind you they may not know themselves, as they may have parts bins that need using up to finish a range and not be sure how long that will take as demand  for a model can vary. Normally they may like to add a lot of mystique to the process but in reality length of production run is down to some fairly prosaic business criteria.

These days with the availability of 0% finance and no deposits, why not just buy it on the best terms that you can get, there's not a lot of difference between that and saving and buying it down the line? Plus you get to wear it earlier. :)

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

I was just surfing some watches casually and I came across the topic of discontinued watches. Even though I understand of course the need of manufacturers of taking some references out of production, I really didn't find a way to get to know myself when does this happen? Like, isn't there any kind of periodically published stuff from manufacturers or smth to understand what is being currently produced and what's out of production? 
As a customer I would find it extremely helpful as if I'm eyeing a particular reference and save the money for it, if I get the communication of its discontinued status I would hurry up and buy it for example, what are the reasons I'm not seeing??

Thank for whatever answer :)

Surely you can go to the brand’s website and check the catalogue on there?

It happened to me last summer , i had always planned to get a Speedmaster professional 1863 at some point in the future and then out of the blue I read in a blog it's about to be culled in favour of a new  automatic , i hastily changed plans and went and bought one at a fairly tidy discount , but I could so easily missed out on a new one