• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

If you had to save one watch ...

Imagine you have gone away for the weekend to a nice hotel, you have taken a selection of your favourite watches, perhaps one for a country walk, one for dinner, another one for when you go to the reception to meet Prince Charles about the charity you are starting to support people damaged by a life of wealth and privilege.   But alas! You are woken in the night by the sound of the fire alarm, the smell of smoke, and the kind person who helped you back to your room last night dragging you out of bed and out of the room - your one free, flailing, hand can only rescue one of your treasures - thank goodness you left your dad's old watch at home!  But which one shall you save ......  ?

So this is fairly easy really, given that you have already cut down the choice by selecting from the top 4, 5 or 6 you could get in your watch roll to take away.  Or in my case 8. But anyway, still pretty easy.  I mean, the door frame is on fire now, and you are nearly half way through it, but what is it going to be?   The watch you cannot replace because you 'bought' it with a packet of B & H in 1982, and it is now worth 15k?  The watch you cannot replace because, although there are thousands like it, you were wearing this one when you rolled three twenties in a row, in that game of Dungeons and Dragons.  Or your 'best' watch - because it is attractive, precise, well made, and gets the most likes on The Watch Forum?

Quick!  I've gone for this:

yep.jpg.bf9d97b9d0f141594260943559f319d3.jpg

WTH? 

It's not luminous, no WR, mediocre legibility, small case, and anonymous patinated dial.

But it does have a certain dignified elegance, which I may need, stood out on the car-park in my, erm, 'night attire'. :blush:

What did you grab?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

thank goodness you left your dad's old watch at home!  But which one shall you save ......  ?

That ^ was going to be my answer, because my Dad's old Avia with engraved back is the only watch that is irreplaceable, the rest can be claimed on insurance.  But since I had the foresight to leave that one at home, I'd save this Bulova Precisionist, which doesn't get worn very often, but I did wear it at my wedding, so that says it is still my favourite:

DSCF2143

You can see it in action here, during my sparkling and witty speech:

DSC_0195

:laughing2dw:

And this is the irreplaceable and priceless Avia I mentioned:

20210201_161227

The bit that makes it priceless is this:

20210129_083222

:thumbs_up:

• Like 2

Have immense attachment for pieces gifted too me, far more than items purchased by myself.

As Davey says, the remainder (most) can be replaced by insurance settlement.

These 2 are the most meaningful for me, as such the ones I would grab first...

Gift from my parents in 1972

iBBlgVT.jpg

Gift from my wife

iri9xgn.jpg

Followed next by other gifted timepieces!

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Followed next by other gifted timepieces!

I typically don't select gifted watches to take away with me.  Though I still have the watch my ex wife bought me - that would certainly have me running back into a burning building.  

To chuck on the ruddy flames. 

Only joking! 

tag1.thumb.jpg.e2856cb4afc64a147a1c108ceb9e0e8c.jpg

If the bracelet had a diver's extension, or the watch was easy to re-strap, I probably would not have bought half the watches I currently own for 'expeditioning'.  But it has the Mk 1 bracelet that screws into the case.  And the screws are never coming out (thanks LocTTLF 262 thread-locker!)  As an aside, I found the OEM straps unsuitable for 'expeditioning' , and Tag told me I should not be getting them wet - hence the bracelet.  I do like the watch, and I think the quality still shows after nearly 30 years, but I am afraid it was designed from the start for desk divers only!

• Like 1

Well, the reality is that I wouldn't have any watches with me that I considered of any value. I leave those at home or in a safe deposit box. I only travel with junkers I care little to nothing about.

But, to play along, as of right now the one I would for sure grab I don't have yet, it's on order, Tudor Heritage Black Bay S&G.

None of my watches carry any sentimental value, because I'm not much for sentiment. Maybe my Alexander Shorokhoff New Planet or Doxa Sub 6000T. Most likely the New Planet though. The 3133 movement is the best decorated and regulated movement I have, plus it's now no longer being produced which means it's got some added value there in it's perceived "soon to be uniqueness and difficulty to replace'. It's a conversation piece for sure as well.

A47D25DB-14FD-4D54-B5DD-D1EF3A3C86A6.thumb.jpeg.1a258237788c2b4f34e82993825d63c0.jpegWell, these are my “memento” watches, bought with money inherited. The Tank was bought in 2016 after a much-loved uncle passed in 2015. I would be gutted to lose that, but I’d have to save the Speedy, because it was bought in memory of my mother (2017).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

This one today,but that might change tomorrow:laugh:

647BCD34-FFC2-4CE2-9047-AF47B0B4F382.jpeg

I have got my eye on a Bremont ...

But nah ...

yeah ...

naah ...

YEAH!

46 minutes ago, AVO said:

uncle passed in 2015. I would be gutted to lose that,

Fortunately you had the foresight to leave that at home!

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

Well, the reality is that I wouldn't have any watches with me that I considered of any value. I leave those at home or in a safe deposit box. I only travel with junkers I care little to nothing about.

Not if you were going to meet a Prince, surely?  I mean, even a rebel would have to wear a nice watch for that!  Unless of course you were meeting #sussexboil

And it is possible to insure personal possessions outside the home, so my Ball goes everywhere with me - the tritium gas tubes means you can read it even in a smoke filled room.

Ah!  OK, I changed my mind, through the gloam, I spy:

IMG_20210113_211003178(1).jpg.960f211fa6390b4653140a23bf390633.jpg

IMG_20210113_120826377(1).jpg.fa60ee347e73f66ff53635a07f846567.jpg

• Like 2

Shame I sold the Tempore Lux,  I could have used that to knock down the outside wall of the room, allowing me time to gather all of my watches and escape directly on to the veranda at the back of the hotel whilst everyone else chased around in the smokey halls and stairwells.

Personally at the first hint of impending disaster I'd just leg it with whatever watch happened to be on my wrist, I much prefer being alive compared to dead with a trinket that I won't know or care about anymore.

I'm always gobsmacked when you read of people that tried to save this, that or other material goods while in dire circumstances, in my book clearly not operating with a full set of marbles.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Personally at the first hint of impending disaster I'd just leg it with whatever watch happened to be on my wrist, I much prefer being alive compared to dead with a trinket that I won't know or care about anymore.

I'm always gobsmacked when you read of people that tried to save this, that or other material goods while in dire circumstances, in my book clearly not operating with a full set of marbles.

I can run faster with a watch on.

• Haha 1