• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Citizen green 'Promaster' diver at Argos £179

26 minutes ago, Hayballs said:

Nothing wrong with the brand or eco-drive.

I prefer the blue myself

I am certain this is true, but I have an irrational dislike for them that I can't explain, just not a brand I've any interest in despite knowing I've bought (and loved) some crap over the years that is decidedly lower quality than Citizens watches.

I guess (maybe wrongly) we all have a brand or brands we don't like for no obvious or explainable reason?

9 hours ago, Bricey said:

I am certain this is true, but I have an irrational dislike for them that I can't explain, just not a brand I've any interest in despite knowing I've bought (and loved) some crap over the years that is decidedly lower quality than Citizens watches.

I guess (maybe wrongly) we all have a brand or brands we don't like for no obvious or explainable reason?

Strange analogy, but always regarded Seiko as Lexus and Citizen as Toyota, so kind of take your point; even though in watches case they aren't effectively same company

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hayballs said:

Nothing wrong with the brand

It always strikes me that if we preface our appreciation of something by saying there's nothing wrong with it, it seems like damning with faint praise. 

If someone's praising something I want to know how superb it is.:)

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, james brodie said:

Strange analogy, but always regarded Seiko as Lexus and Citizen as Toyota, so kind of take your point; even though in watches case they aren't effectively same company

Nooo, no no no. Seiko are Toyota with Grand Seiko as Lexus. Citizen would be Honda, making Eco Drive VTEC. Orient Suzuki maybe?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, AVO said:

It always strikes me that if we preface our appreciation of something by saying there's nothing wrong with it, it seems like damning with faint praise. 

If someone's praising something I want to know how superb it is.:)

There is nothing wrong with my brother-in-law.......

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Nooo, no no no. Seiko are Toyota with Grand Seiko as Lexus. Citizen would be Honda, making Eco Drive VTEC. Orient Suzuki maybe?

Point taken, though I'm old enough to remember when Seiko were (relatively) very expensive (very early quartz)

I'd elaborate: Pulsar: Nissan. Lorus: Suzuki. Orient: Suburu.   Honda are SO frumpy these days I don't think there's a watch around that uncool, as reliable as they might be. But I'll go Citizen I suppose, though this green boy's pretty cool :)

Edited by james brodie

1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

7 minutes ago, james brodie said:

Point taken, though I'm old enough to remember when Seiko were (relatively) very expensive (very early quartz)

I'd elaborate: Pulsar: Nissan. Lorus: Suzuki. Orient: Suburu.   Honda are SO frumpy these days I don't think there's a watch around that uncool, as reliable as they might be. But I'll go Citizen I suppose, though this green boy's pretty cool :)

Lets face it none of the Japanese car brands are 'cool', even if some specific models ARE cool eg Nissan GT-R.

th?id=OIP.-i4a1RlU1B3ecAqUe6eKHAHaE8%26p

Honda frumpy? Park the Jazz and hop into the NSX.

th?id=OIP.vkp68ypNgRdzFjaxY51ZmAHaD6%26p

...or the Honda e

th?id=OIP.GVLmUftFfRQJiclUirmMuwHaE8%26p

Even so Honda, as a brand, isn't cool.

I'm more with @Perlative Cernometer on this, for me it's something like;

Honda = Citizen (interesting hi-tech under the hood)

Lexus = Grand Seiko (except you don't have to be a Mason to own a GS)

Mazda = Pulsar (solid, dependable, tough)

Nissan = Lorus (everyday, does the job, good value)

Subaru = Orient (a bit left-field, loved by those who know it)

Suzuki = Casio (rugged, reliable, tough, a bit retro)

Toyota = Seiko (the big player)

I like Casios :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

If a shop stocks Citizen then I'll have a look in their window each time I pass. The Citizen promaster range has some good value pieces offering quartz and auto. I'm a fan but not yet an owner.

Edited by wrenny1969