• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Something for the kids..

OK..  so I'm not talking about monetary investments in a watch (I have a fat insurance policy and investment money to take care of the children) I'm looking for a one watch suggestion from whoever can be bothered answering and heres the criteria.

I want to be able to wear it (say at weekends or once a week) for the next 20 years. It has to last 50 years (30 for the child to appreciate it in adulthood). The style has to be good for 50 years.. the quality has to show for 50 years.. and of course it has to be durable as a weekender (1/7) for 50 years.

It can cost anything I suppose but the higher the cost the more likely it will be sold or just put into a bank and not appreciated.. the lower the cost it will be replaced by "their" choice and end up in a drawer again unappreciated. 

So.. pick a watch.. let's see those future proof choices.

ETA movement early Black Bay. Reasonably tough, good brand recognition without being top dollar high end. Classic dive watch styling that never seems to go out of fashion. ETA movement means easier cheaper servicing down the line if required rather than going in house movement and being tied to in house servicing.

• Like 2

Nothing is guaranteed for 50 years.  But I have vintage watches 50 years old with quartz, manual, automatic and electronic movement still ticking (and humming) away nicely.

For durability I would suggest a gold case, and it also feels more special.  They are not very fashionable right now, and can often be bought for the same price as stainless steel on the used market.  That's bound to change.  Stick to conservative designs and rounds dials, not too large, and conventional lugs for ease of strap changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hmm.. it's all hypothetical really. 

But if I go and buy a 50 year old watch just now.. the chances of it surviving another 50 years is very slim.

I have a few watches that have served the criteria already, a 1974 Seiko 5, a (suspected frankenwatch) Ricoh, a gold plated Accurist from 50-60s I have others that made the time jump.. but what could we buy that's modern that can make it?

Do we even have the confidence to say anything modern could do it?

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Hmm.. it's all hypothetical really. 

But if I go and buy a 50 year old watch just now.. the chances of it surviving another 50 years is very slim.

I have a few watches that have served the criteria already, a 1974 Seiko 5, a (suspected frankenwatch) Ricoh, a gold plated Accurist from 50-60s I have others that made the time jump.. but what could we buy that's modern that can make it. 

Do we even have the confidence to say anything modern can make it?

I would think (or hope, maybe naively) that any watch running to more than a couple of hundred pounds, and certainly anything running into a couple of thousand, if looked after and serviced should last the 50 years mechanically.

The majority that are not deliberately 'out there' in terms of style should still look like a proper watch in 50 years too.

I'm not really including a watch that might be a couple of hundred but paying for a brand name such as Armani or Boss on the dial, but packing a cheap quartz movement, but even then there is probably a decent chance of a long life, and I've had a couple from each of those brands, some of which have actually been quite nice to wear and felt decent quality despite my (again maybe incorrect) assumption that it has the same guts as the £9.99 Citron for sale in Tesco's.

Edited by Bricey
Bracket
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I would think (or hope, maybe naively) that any watch running to more than a couple of hundred pounds, and certainly anything running into a couple of thousand, if looked after and serviced should last the 50 years mechanically.

The majority that are not deliberately 'out there' in terms of style should still look like a proper watch in 50 years too.

I'm not really including a watch that might be a couple of hundred but paying for a brand name such as Armani or Boss on the dial, but packing a cheap quartz movement, but even then there is probably a decent chance of a long life, and I've had a couple from each of those brands, some of which have actually been quite nice to wear and felt decent quality despite my (again maybe incorrect) assumption that it has the same guts as the £9.99 Citron for sale in Tesco's.

I kind of agree with you on the mechanical side if things, yes they all have the probability to go the distance. A quick look on eBay for 'vintage' answers that question, but at what cost (many of them look extremely buckled and not what you would call "inheritance worthy"). There are also considerations, will batteries even be produced or be available? Will anyone have the skill to be able to service a 'mechanical' device at a reasonable cost? Consideration of the movement type may well be the definition of the choice. 

Style might be the biggest factor. In 50 years time that large watch with big bezel might be laughable. That classic look might be "past it". Which style type has the most potential for longevity? 

If it's worth buttons and looks rubbish it might get "sock drawered" and forgot. If it turns into that £100000 sought after watch it will get "banked" and not worn. 

Ok.. I will stick my head out a bit to get shot down :)

image.thumb.png.2add40ec0ba2b020fa35174deb69201b.png

This. First considerations are reliability. I can see it going the distance without needing too much looking after. The styling considerations are "slightly military" in design (military designs get respect through the years) but the overall look might be not military enough to pass 50 years without looking dated to our era.

There are other military automatics out there with (and perhaps I should have considered a GMT) better heritage but they might slide into the "banked" option and be too nice or costly to wear in 50 years.

Anywhooo... 

Unless things change in the world I wouldn't be thinking that long term, as Fraser from dad's army said 'we're all doomed'. If I did have that longer term mentality when buying a new timepiece I would probably go with a JLC Reverso as I don't think that style ever really ages. Also the Cartier Santos maybe. For a lesser budget I would probably say something like the Rado Captain Cook.

On the basis that you want it to work in 50 years, I think your criteria have to be that it is:

(i) brand new now, so you can hang onto the receipt and proof of purchase for authenticity, and it will have as much life left in it as possible; 

(ii) maintainable, so I'd go for something with a mechanical movement that can be serviced by someone with an oilcan in 50 years, not something that needs a battery that may be obsolete (or whatever the equivalent witchcraft is on solar watches); 

(iii) adaptable, I'd go for something on a traditional leather strap in a standard width, so it can be replaced with one that fits and your offspring aren't looking round for an odd link or stuck with a stretched bracelet; 

(iv) of its time, so it looks like a 50 year old watch in 50 years.  If I had a WWII watch I'd want it to look like one of the dirty dozen, if I had a 1970s watch I'd want it to look like something from the 70's, so if you are getting it now I'd get something that looks relatively modern now and is likely to age gracefully; and

(v) robust, so if you go for gold make it solid and not plate that will wear off, and I'd swerve the matt black option for the same reason, probably better with steel.  I'd equally avoid too many complications.  

So, my suggestion:

17810499_3.jpg?impolicy=zoom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

On the basis that you want it to work in 50 years, I think your criteria have to be that it is:

(i) brand new now, so you can hang onto the receipt and proof of purchase for authenticity, and it will have as much life left in it as possible; 

(ii) maintainable, so I'd go for something with a mechanical movement that can be serviced by someone with an oilcan in 50 years, not something that needs a battery that may be obsolete (or whatever the equivalent witchcraft is on solar watches); 

(iii) adaptable, I'd go for something on a traditional leather strap in a standard width, so it can be replaced with one that fits and your offspring aren't looking round for an odd link or stuck with a stretched bracelet; 

(iv) of its time, so it looks like a 50 year old watch in 50 years.  If I had a WWII watch I'd want it to look like one of the dirty dozen, if I had a 1970s watch I'd want it to look like something from the 70's, so if you are getting it now I'd get something that looks relatively modern now and is likely to age gracefully; and

(v) robust, so if you go for gold make it solid and not plate that will wear off, and I'd swerve the matt black option for the same reason, probably better with steel.  I'd equally avoid too many complications.  

So, my suggestion:

17810499_3.jpg?impolicy=zoom

Good call on the Matt black option. It was something I missed.

Strangely though an IWC may fall into the "banked" option of expensive by then and be placed in a safe but personally I think they will just hold their weight, so to speak, and be wearable. :thumbsup:

i think this sums it up from this weeks roadshow inc the story going to buy the watch with his dad!, did you see the guys reaction and it was not to the valution!!

deano

full episode

Edited by deano1956
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

i think this sums it up from this weeks roadshow inc the story going to buy the watch with his dad!, did you see the guys reaction and it was not to the valution!!

deano

full episode

The watch can be seen at about 20 mins into the video.

Yeah but that's a "safe" watch. Although nobody cares about the money, it won't be a daily wearer by the son it will be put somewhere safe. Appreciated yes, but not worn. 

I'm looking for those watches that would be used crossing over a generation. Things where the style won't become laughable, the movement won't become obsolete or too expensive or hard to upkeep. It won't be too cheap as it is just replaced by the kids idea of nice and be forgot in a drawer or too expensive to be worn and be worshipped in a safe.

For all we know, our kids might go back to pocket watches as their wrists are used to hold controllers for vehicles or they might be wearing hazmat suits and need heavy duty waterproof divers watches to be able to be washed during decontamination. 

Picking a very expensive watch might guarantee it's movement can go the distance but it most likely will end up in a safe, too cheap or damageable and it will end up in a drawer. 

This is just a fun topic to try and find that "middle road" watch because in this forum I see the "money investment" question arise quite a lot but not really much thought goes into the "enjoyment" side of inheritance watches. Watches that we will use and our kids will use without much trouble (maybe even our granchildren) if we can put some thought into future proofing them.

do you know i think it will be worn as its its not about the money in this case ?i think the connection will be in the wearing and not in a safe , it was already well worn so wearing it will not detract . also his dad might not have considered it a safe watch when bought just something he aspired to.

12 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

This is just a fun topic to try and find that "middle road" watch because in this forum I see the "money investment" question arise quite a lot but not really much thought goes into the "enjoyment" side of inheritance watches. Watches that we will use and our kids will use without much trouble (maybe even our granchildren) if we can put some thought into future proofing them.

its sad on my part but i dont believe there is such a watch:(:biggrin:

deano

mr miserable today, fed up of rain !:laugh:

Edited by deano1956

46 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

do you know i think it will be worn as its its not about the money in this case ?i think the connection will be in the wearing and not in a safe , it was already well worn so wearing it will not detract . also his dad might not have considered it a safe watch when bought just something he aspired to.

its sad on my part but i dont believe there is such a watch:(:biggrin:

deano

mr miserable today, fed up of rain !:laugh:

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 18:38, SolaVeritate said:

Ok.. I will stick my head out a bit to get shot down :)

image.thumb.png.2add40ec0ba2b020fa35174deb69201b.png

This. First considerations are reliability. I can see it going the distance without needing too much looking after. The styling considerations are "slightly military" in design (military designs get respect through the years) but the overall look might be not military enough to pass 50 years without looking dated to our era.

There are other military automatics out there with (and perhaps I should have considered a GMT) better heritage but they might slide into the "banked" option and be too nice or costly to wear in 50 years.

Anywhooo... 

What about a similar half price bargain...

https://www.hsjohnson.com/watches-c123/mens-watches-c116/elliot-brown-202-020-r01-mens-canford-wristwatch-p9728/s16248?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjwy42FBhB2EiwAJY0yQq2TmKzv8gDywJ0WSmKPcjI3KHuRcBLY0rMBNVU2LBx0Xr86Ud_nnxoCIB4QAvD_BwE

elliot-brown-202-020-r01-mens-canford-wr

50% off down to £175 :thumbsup:

https://www.hsjohnson.com/watches-c123/mens-watches-c116/elliot-brown-202-006-l02-mens-canford-wristwatch-p6212

https://www.hsjohnson.com/watches-c123/mens-watches-c116/elliot-brown-202-016-r10-mens-canford-wristwatch-p10836

https://www.hsjohnson.com/watches-c123/mens-watches-c116/elliot-brown-202-018-r10-mens-canford-wristwatch-p18369

• Like 1