• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Servicing costs

This is my favourite watch. A white gold Franck Muller Conquistador automatic.

Some time ago I asked Franck Muller for a price to service it. They response was £1000  for the service and £500 to polish it. It seems a lot to me. I dont know if it's a standard movement or one that only they can service. The polish is a ridiculous price, I could polish it myself it half an hour bearing in mind it is 14ct gold. Having bought a breitling superocean, it will have to wait anyway but opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Chas

20210517_153932~2.jpg

20210517_154256~2.jpg

• Like 1

I doubt anyone here has much experience of servicing such a watch. Can't you check on the web to find out about the movement? I can't see why it would need to be anything fancy, but if it is in-house, I guess access to parts might be an issue?

How about checking with a watch repairer for an opinion.  

It's a lovely looking watch!  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I think FM only introduced its first in-house movement about 10 years ago so your conquistador is probably an ETA base movement so third party servicing shouldn't be a problem

If you check the Watch Repairers section there's a list of repairers, not endorsed by the forum but who have had positive reviews on various watch forums

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, chas g said:

Just found out why the polishing could cost so much. White gold isnt white and is usually plated with rhodium. I assume that FM have included replating the watch in their price.

White gold is  plated with rhodium on new jewellery, rings etc. When I was a jeweller I found that it doesn’t really last long before it wears off.  Your case could still be polished without rhodium plating. 
I repaired and hand made a lot of white gold jewellery and never bothered having the items re-rhodium plated, we just gave it a high polish. Unless you want that bright white lustre then it’s not necessary. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Roy said:

White gold is  plated with rhodium on new jewellery, rings etc. When I was a jeweller I found that it doesn’t really last long before it wears off.  Your case could still be polished without rhodium plating. 
I repaired and hand made a lot of white gold jewellery and never bothered having the items re-rhodium plated, we just gave it a high polish. Unless you want that bright white lustre then it’s not necessary. 

Thank you Roy. It looks ok but not highly polished so I think I will leave it alone.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chas g said:

Just found out why the polishing could cost so much. White gold isnt white and is usually plated with rhodium. I assume that FM have included replating the watch in their price.

they would have to be charging you the full amount for the Rhodium solution (which is expensive) for the whole servicing centre for £500.

1 minute ago, nursegladys said:

they would have to be charging you the full amount for the Rhodium solution (which is expensive) for the whole servicing centre for £500.

Best left alone for the moment. My bank account needs to recover from the breitling purchase.

My recommendation for such a watch would be Russell Tallerman of Maddox Street (off of Bond Street)

Will be significantly less cost... fantastic service and he is well trusted with high value pieces.

Personally I have a tame watchmaker who does basic services for a retail jewellers (and occasionally comes up trumps with old components like a broken balance staff in an antique watch) but he is not open to the public and I am not at liberty to give out his details.

Anything of high value I tend to send Russell's way though as he offers a more thorough service.

Russel also polishes to a very high standard... one of the few I would trust with a Royal Oak (possibly the hardest to polish watch)

I think a service and polish on one of those is in the region of £300 total to put things in perspective...   the only drawback is he is very busy and hence not very quick. 

@chas g

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

My recommendation for such a watch would be Russell Tallerman of Maddox Street (off of Bond Street)

Will be significantly less cost... fantastic service and he is well trusted with high value pieces.

Personally I have a tame watchmaker who does basic services for a retail jewellers (and occasionally comes up trumps with old components like a broken balance staff in an antique watch) but he is not open to the public and I am not at liberty to give out his details.

Anything of high value I tend to send Russell's way though as he offers a more thorough service.

Russel also polishes to a very high standard... one of the few I would trust with a Royal Oak (possibly the hardest to polish watch)

I think a service and polish on one of those is in the region of £300 total to put things in perspective...   the only drawback is he is very busy and hence not very quick. 

@chas g

Thank you. He is on my doorstep which would be handy.