• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

"Ladies" watch OK for an 11 yo boy?

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

... you need to tread with care in these matters especially where the OP lives ...

Rocky was originally going to be named Hugo, until we realised that he would locally be known as Ooogo :laughing2dw:

I've yet to find a local that appears to appreciate that there is indeed a "T" in the word "Water".

But it takes all sorts.

Your comments in this thread were all taken on board and in the nature they were intended :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Victorinox just grade their watches by size - their women's watches tend to be the small and XS and then 40mm, 44mm etc.

I regularly look at watches that are classed as young men's and women's together.  Some marques just classify watches as small, medium and large, or by actual case size and don't even differentiate gender at all.

@Bricey - just do what's in your heart and ignore the rest of us.  I think it's a fabulous watch for him, for what it's worth and even if he wears it for 2 years and you pay 40 quid for it, that's 39p a week - you're an accountant - that's surely a good investment.

We paid a ridiculous amount of money for a Lego Technic Bugatti kit for our grown up son for a birthday after we'd had a windfall.  It was worth every single penny for the look on his face when he opened it and really wasn't expecting it.  That fleeting moment was priceless and will be etched on my heart forever. 

Edited by BooJewels
sloppy typing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

One of my parents said yesterday that his 12 year old went from a "young sprinting gazelle" to a "sloth who moves at the speed of a glacier"  over night and he has not seen much of him in the last month, you theory holds water .. 

Rocky's older sisters (18, 16 & nearly 14) all hit a point at around 12-13 years old where someone appeared to slip into the house one evening and replace their spine with a length of garden hose, they were no longer able to sit straight in a chair, getting out of a ben or standing anywhere close to their actual height became impossible for them, and the metaphorical aspect of having a backbone and actually doing or taking responsibility for anything completely disappeared with the physical element.

I'm hoping that boys are different!

One last point on size, I'm 5' 8" (if wearing decent socks!) and Mrs B is just 5' 3", Rocky may spurt a little, but he's quite slight and unlikely to end up a towering, pipple covered monster with an occasional barritone.......he'll likely me a fairly little dainty pipple covered monster with a squeeky sqwuak!

Poor sod.

14 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

One of my parents said yesterday that his 12 year old went from a "young sprinting gazelle" to a "sloth who moves at the speed of a glacier"  over night and he has not seen much of him in the last month, you theory holds water .. 

We used to call my son “Benny” after one of the TopCat cats because he was like a stray cat that only appeared to be fed.

He’s 25 now and not much has changed to be honest!

Edited by Bow
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BooJewels said:

Victorinox just grade their watches by size - their women's watches tend to be the small and XS and then 40mm, 44mm etc.

I regularly look at watches that are classed as young men's and women's together.  Some marques just classify watches as small, medium and large, or by actual case size and don't even differentiate gender at all.

@Bricey - just do what's in your heart and ignore the rest of us.  I think it's a fabulous watch for him, for what it's worth and even if he wears it for 2 years and you pay 40 quid for it, that's 39p a week - you're an accountant - that's surely a good investment.

We paid a ridiculous amount of money for a Lego Technic Bugatti kit for our grown up son for a birthday after we'd had a windfall.  It was worth every single penny for the look on his face when he opened it and really wasn't expecting it.  That fleeting moment was priceless and will be etched on my heart forever. 

I've not been here much over a month (despite my growing post count as a result of my time off with health issues and incessant s#/t posting) and my overridning impression is that it is a forum full of good people, having different opinions doesn't make anyone's opinion less valid and negative opinions are as worthy as positive ones, so unless anyone posts something intentionally and deliberately mean, I'll always take it as point of view to consider.

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I think I am comfortable that few, if any, of his cohort at school are going to think it was marketed as a woman's watch (and it seems that the 'gender' of watches is on its way out anyway) some might see it as a 'youth size' which is completely appropriate for such a little fella, I think anything above that diameter and he's going to look like he mugged Flavor Flav and popped his necklace onto a wrist band.

:teethsmile:

Personally, let him wear what he likes, regardless of what any possible detractors may think.

Our son & daughter, like myself, were vertically challenged before reaching our teens & therefore attracted the usual ‘don’t fit into the norm(?)’ comments.

They, like myself, were guided to face any detractors face on, these poorly raised individuals soon realise every action has a reaction. 

The journey through life is seldom perfect, the sooner people accept this the better prepared they are for what will inevitably occur, at times, IMHO.

Incidentally, my son is now 6’-8”, my daughter 6’-2”, with myself coming in at a lowly tad over 6’ (having shrunk slightly following spinal surgery).

Most of our extended family have followed this slow height development, with the majority well over 6’, the loftiest being 6’-10”, who is known to all as titch.  Must be all the sh!t we were raised & worked in. :biggrin:

Good people come in all shapes & sizes, thankfully!

:thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Why not just show him the ebay listing and let him decide. 

Where is the fun in good sense!

Wanted to surprise, if the bidding doesn't rocket I'll get it and save it for a gift when he finishes up primary school in a months time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

As long as the boy never finds out you got him a girls watch.:taz:

My first watch was a woman's. I was deeply upset, not because it was a woman's watch, but because it was second hand, made me feel worthless, scarred for life as a result. :(

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

My first watch was a woman's. I was deeply upset, not because it was a woman's watch, but because it was second hand, made me feel worthless, scarred for life as a result. :(

:laughing2dw:

I rest my case:laughing2dw:

Bidding has hit £67 with over 3 hours still to go, so this thread is now dead! :laughing2dw:

I'll keep an eye out for a "Mid-Sized" TAG (Why do they call small watches 'Mid-Sized'????)

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

You could always get a "tough guys" Marathon GPQ at a testosterone induced 34mm.

mara-ww194009-sgdet8__05534.1587729645.j

I don't mind the look of these. You can even get them without the daft looking  US GOVERNMENT script. 

WW194009-SG-NGM-IMG1-Hero_361x@3x.progre

They list a couple of UK retailers on there site although on their page the prices are in Euros, maybe the news of Brexit hasn't reached them yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I don't mind the look of these. You can even get them without the daft looking  US GOVERNMENT script. 

WW194009-SG-NGM-IMG1-Hero_361x@3x.progre

They list a couple of UK retailers on there site although on their page the prices are in Euros, maybe the news of Brexit hasn't reached them yet. 

Heinnie in Wales flogs them. Good service too. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

Pfft.. just to annoy people.. here's me.. grown old man.. definitely not skinny.. wearing a 34mm and I don't give a rats bum what other people think and it's not even a 'good' watch.. it's 'my' watch. 

If it had a personality, I would hug it. 

Do I care? Do I fluck of pidgins.

• Haha 1