Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

"Ladies" watch OK for an 11 yo boy?


Recommended Posts

As an 11 year old I was bought various watches and the only interest they had for me was if I was able to take them apart and put them back together again. 

As an 11 year old gift, it doesn't really matter what you or anyone else thinks, you buy it for them then they like it and keep it, throw it away, put it in a drawer, sell it, take it to bits, wear it with pride, try to fry it with a big magnifying glass, give it as a love gift to a 16 year old with big boobs etc etc..

It's kinda a cool gift, but he's 11. 

Give it to him and see what he does with it.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not get an 11 year old a ladies watch. However the one your link doesn’t look feminine.

I would strongly recommend getting him a rubber G Shock instead as it won’t get scratched to bits and will most likely last longer with replaceable resin.

My nephew was given a metal Casio at a similar age. In a few years the plastic crystal and the bracelet were an absolute mess. Ended up giving him a Frogman when he was 15 and he wears it daily many years later with hardly a mark on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

As an 11 year old I was bought various watches and the only interest they had for me was if I was able to take them apart and put them back together again. 

As an 11 year old gift, it doesn't really matter what you or anyone else thinks, you buy it for them then they like it and keep it, throw it away, put it in a drawer, sell it, take it to bits, wear it with pride, try to fry it with a big magnifying glass, give it as a love gift to a 16 year old with big boobs etc etc..

It's kinda a cool gift, but he's 11. 

Give it to him and see what he does with it.

Rocky (despite my love of boxing, named after the vicar that married my wife and I) is an interesting 11 year old.

He is tiny, throughout the early years at primary school they gave him the special coat peg lower than the rest of the class, but he is very pretty and always had a great sense of humour, but always struggled with self confidence, we were quite worried about him as he seemed quite hard on himself and sensitive.

Then in January, our eldest daughters boyfriend gifted him his old guitar, Rock having had no lessons just watches YouTube videos but has really taken to it, this is him playing a song by a YouTube he likes after spending an hour or so watching and copying

His self confidence has sky rocketed, happily without changing his sensitivity or sense of humour, he's still this sweet, tiny, pretty little man with a quirky sense of humour.

He has also developed a taste for both watches and bracelets, often wearing a watch and a couple of bracelets on his left wrist.

He has an old Umbro sports watch, a new Timberland watch, and a couple of old kids watches, plus I bought him one of the Gibson watches I recently saw on Ebay for £4 which is not a classically pretty watch, but he loves it due to the guitar link

Screenshot_20210519-071014_eBay.thumb.jpg.e306bea66fe20a1ac61cbfcbf72b5a9c.jpg

He seems to like his watches quite traditional, and I worry more about him starting high school this autumn and the 16 year old with "zee big bobbies" all falling over themselves to adopt my little man :laughing2dw: 

Edited by Bricey
Error
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, andyclient said:

Would be a great watch for an eleven year old doesn’t look like a ladies watch at all imo 

My feeling too, going to see if I can snag it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be fabulous for him.  Nobody is going to rag him about it being a woman's watch as it just doesn't look it - and certainly not at 33mm.  I love it.  It looks in great nick and if I'd seen it first, I might well have bid on it.  Victorinox watches, by definition, are substantially built and if he's the kind of kid he looks and you describe, he's simply not going to destroy it.  He probably couldn't.

If by some fluke he doesn't like it, I'll buy it back off you.  But he will - because his Dad chose it for him, out of an abundance of love.  He sounds like a great kid - and clearly talented, no wonder you're proud.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you’re fine with that one, it’s not the sort of thing that some little gobshite’s mum is likely to have and therefore get outed as a girl’s watch,

Go for it!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In would say it would be fine. Size wise, I regularly wear a 34mm watch and a 32. You will also find (thankfully) that society has moved on a bit from the "Robin Askwith" period that some of our members still reside in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, wearing a smaller size version of a classic hasn't done this chap any harm. He was given it by his mum when he was a young lad and still wears it now. Having a large watch doesn't make for manliness, despite what some people may think. :biggrin:

kate_and_prince_william_grande.png?v=157

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, artistmike said:

Well, wearing a smaller size version of a classic hasn't done this chap any harm. He was given it by his mum when he was a young lad and still wears it now. Having a large watch doesn't make for manliness, despite what some people may think. :biggrin:

kate_and_prince_william_grande.png?v=157

But that Omega was in their men's watches catalogue ,,,,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get back to the OP question. Yes it will make a solid watch for an 11 year old. If it's relatively cared for until he's 14 or so then it makes a good argument for a good man's watch as a gift. He will have proved he can care for something more expensive/suitable/longer lasting. Go for it, see what happens.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I please remind everyone taking part in this thread, if you want to vent your frustrations on current world politics/gender issues, then there is the Free Talk forum, or Twitter/Facebook. This is a simple request about someone buying their child a watch, let's keep it light please, and not descend into the gutter.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Can I please remind everyone taking part in this thread, if you want to vent your frustrations on current world politics/gender issues, then there is the Free Talk forum, or Twitter/Facebook. This is a simple request about someone buying their child a watch, let's keep it light please, and not descend into the gutter.

No offense taken here, I asked for opinions and will happily take any negative ones alongside any positive ones, if I buy it Rocky would wear it in the real world where there is no one around to monitor or moderate the comments from his peers. :thumbsup:

I think I am comfortable that few, if any, of his cohort at school are going to think it was marketed as a woman's watch (and it seems that the 'gender' of watches is on its way out anyway) some might see it as a 'youth size' which is completely appropriate for such a little fella, I think anything above that diameter and he's going to look like he mugged Flavor Flav and popped his necklace onto a wrist band.

:teethsmile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

No offense taken here, I asked for opinions and will happily take any negative ones alongside any positive ones, if I buy it Rocky would wear it in the real world where there is no one around to monitor or moderate the comments from his peers. :thumbsup:

I think I am comfortable that few, if any, of his cohort at school are going to think it was marketed as a woman's watch (and it seems that the 'gender' of watches is on its way out anyway) some might see it as a 'youth size' which is completely appropriate for such a little fella, I think anything above that diameter and he's going to look like he mugged Flavor Flav and popped his necklace onto a wrist band.

:teethsmile:

People only know what you've got if you tell them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoT said:

Whilst it doesn't look "ladies'" I think at 33mm it is a bit small, my 11yo grandson wears a 36mm CWC G10 which looks perfect size-wise

It's amazing how fast 11 year olds grow into 13 year olds , often going from cuddly baby bear to gorilla in the blink of an eye ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

It's amazing how fast 11 year olds grow into 13 year olds , often going from cuddly baby bear to gorilla in the blink of an eye ....

How does anyone know?

In my experience, that’s when they go to their rooms and you never really see them again!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My youngest is 11, a bit bling and wanted a Gold Rolex, he got a 'ladies' Invicta Pro diver. The size suits him. My 12 year old not to be left out wanted one but isnt bling and likes Red. He insisted on the Red invicta which I think only came in 42mm so looks very big. To me its not right but he loves it. 

This size thing being associated with Male and Female is ridiculous. Should we size alloy wheels on a car differently depending on whether a man or woman is buying it?

A lot of kids I see these days I cant tell if they are male, female or something else anyway. 

Really size comes down to the look and thats really 3 categories. Under size for your wrist, to scale for your wrist, or over size for your wrist. You may choose to specifically want somethng that fits into these categories. If I wanted something vintage inspired I would probably go slightly undersize, my Smiths 36mm. I have a TW Steel bought for fun which I specifically bought because it is 52mm. 

Its your perception of your look that counts, unless you specifically want to please someone else. 

But the signifcant thing here is that we size bracelets or adjust straps to fit our wrists. So it cant be possible that a fitted watch is too big or too small. 

If it was an item of clothing and we were discussing wearing shoes 2 sizes to big becasue the loose ift had become trendy that would be different, and practically daft. 

But as a watch is fitted to your wrist this is a moot point. You can then get into should you wear a watch lose and janlgy or snug. 

Never ending debate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bow said:

How does anyone know?

In my experience, that’s when they go to their rooms and you never really see them again!

One of my parents said yesterday that his 12 year old went from a "young sprinting gazelle" to a "sloth who moves at the speed of a glacier"  over night and he has not seen much of him in the last month, you theory holds water .. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...