• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Saturday WRUW 22 May?

I feel vintage'd out this week with smaller watches so time for something a bit bigger and clearer.

large.20210515_103736.jpg.96ad9b7613d6ea1a06c5f977fa791efb.jpg

A friend asked me about this last time, as he tried to figure out why this watch had 48 minutes in the hour.. his conclusion was that each minute had to have 75 seconds in it (split into 3 1/3rds of 25 seconds) to compensate.. and each second of this watch is quicker than a normal second of his quartz watch. 

It pickled my head when I realised how completely bonkers his reasoning was but how utterly sound his logic is. 

He's correct.

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I feel vintage'd out this week with smaller watches so time for something a bit bigger and clearer.

large.20210515_103736.jpg.96ad9b7613d6ea1a06c5f977fa791efb.jpg

A friend asked me about this last time, as he tried to figure out why this watch had 48 minutes in the hour.. his conclusion was that each minute had to have 75 seconds in it (split into 3 1/3rds of 25 seconds) to compensate.. and each second of this watch is quicker than a normal second of his quartz watch. 

It pickled my head when I realised how completely bonkers his reasoning was but how utterly sound his logic is. 

He's correct.

My logic would be its a single hand watch dial and the increments are measured in 5 minutes so it's easier to read the time from the hour hand.

rlt64white.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

My logic would be its a single hand watch dial and the increments are measured in 5 minutes so it's easier to read the time from the hour hand.

rlt64white.jpg

Yes.. we know that, but he didn't. 

He just looked at it and thats what his head came up with.

Edit.. he just kinda.. did the maths. It certainly made me smile.

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Possibly the difference between a single handed and two handed approach to the issue then ?

:biggrin: 

Yeah. He should just get a grip. :)

Looking more closely at it.  He's wrong. His maths is out. Each minute would have 144 seconds and tick incredibly fast (which is what most automatics do I suppose).

Fancied something different today so pulled out this old Eterna Porsche Design 25 jewel automatic.  This was the first 'modern' watch I bought after my vintage phase. 

IMG_20210522_090737_edit_316753705108958.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

:biggrin: 

Yeah. He should just get a grip. :)

Looking more closely at it.  He's wrong. His maths is out. Each minute would have 144 seconds and tick incredibly fast (which is what most automatics do I suppose).

I suppose taking the three handed approach, a second look is worthwhile.

• Haha 2