Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Please tell me about Mathey-Tissot


Recommended Posts

Or direct me to some reading.

I've seen the watch below, and despite it being a bit pricey compared to what I've previously paid for a quartz, I have fallen a little in love with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mathey-Tissot-Edmond-Quartz-Mens-Watch-H1886QPBU-/363361552433?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

670872840_images(1).jpeg.41d6daae0a1e57a886c47283fa81fd43.jpeg

I know nothing of the brand other than having seen they do lots of shiny "Rolly" homage watches and assumed they were a fashion/homage brand that were cheeky enough to make one of their names that of an actual watch manufacturer.

Found it new from Joma for $230 which has tempted me further, that dial looks beautiful imo.

Thoughts, advice and information greatly appreciated (good and bad, feel free to point out I'm an idiot if any of the above suggest so in your opinion).

:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen Mathey Tissot on Ideal World several times and I always find it difficult to separate the quality of the watches from the big discounts they always offer and the highly exaggerated language used by the presenters and Kevin Reynolds. For example, "these watches are the height of horology, our serious collectors are snapping these up, the phones are in meltdown, and if this was several thousand pounds more you would still think it a great deal etc."

I can't say I have ever seen a review of Mathey Tissot in a watch magazine and given my own personal view of Ideal World and the brands they sell, I would give them a miss.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to be certain, are 'Mathey Tissot' anything to do with the original Swiss Tissot company, are they an amalgamation of two different companies, or just a cheap shopping channel brand that's nothing to do with the original Tissot. Some clarification would be nice, if possible.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Just to be certain, are 'Mathey Tissot' anything to do with the original Swiss Tissot company, are they an amalgamation of two different companies, or just a cheap shopping channel brand that's nothing to do with the original Tissot. Some clarification would be nice, if possible.

I’m with you always wondered if they had anything todo with tissot 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are owners on here I think, @Graham60 his examples always look pleasant enough but he is the master of photography :) 

They also sell them on jomashop stateside - some examples are quartz but others come with auto movements. Horses for courses :thumbsup:

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Iceblue said:

I’m with you always wondered if they had anything todo with tissot 

There is a post on a different forum website that explains when and by whom the Companies were started.

The short answer is no, they are not related and never have been.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I may have cleared this up...a sudden (rare) flash of inspiration led me to look and see if Honour (@Always"watching") had written a piece about the company, and there it was. A very comprehensive and informative article about them in his sub forum 'Honour's Topics'...always worth a look if you need info on a brand... 

Thanks, Honour! :thumbsup:

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm torn now. Initially I assumed from the replies that it was a company that had some history but had probably seen its name sold off to some cheap Chinese brand, but then @Always"watching" 's (can I ask why he is "honour"?) article pulled me back towards this being a watch from a still bona-fide brand, even if they have ended up selling their watches through that orange fella that pulled Bridget Jones's daft mother.

I've then googled a little and it seems they are part of the Swatch group, which I guess doesn't mean a massive amount one way or the other as they have some awesome brands and some crappy ones.

But I keep coming back to two points:

1) It's a quartz watch (no idea if a Ronda  Caliber 505 H6 is good or bad) and I'm not big on quartz (not a snob, I like to think of myself as a daft romantic).

2) I really like the look of this model, not massive on the brand, but really like the overall appearance.

They do do an auto version, but the price then just way beyond Joma's £160-odd that I'd be prepared to gamble.

Torn.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I've then googled a little and it seems they are part of the Swatch group, which I guess doesn't mean a massive amount one way or the other as they have some awesome brands and some crappy ones.

Don't confuse Tissot (Swatch Group) with Mathey-Tissot (SWP Swiss Watch Partners)

Two totally different companies

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I really like the look of this model, not massive on the brand, but really like the overall appearance

Does that not suffice?  It is a couple of hundred quid.  Never going to be much of an investment,  but pretty much bound to work and bring you joy.  So if you have the cash to spare (God knows how with eight kids) and want it then nothing anyone here may say should deter you. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've a few Mathey-Tissot, I really like them, although I wouldn't buy off Ideal World, usually you can find the watches elsewhere at lower prices, like Jomashop or ebay (especially their limited edition, you can get them way cheaper on ebay if you wait for a wee while after they've been on Ideal World).

As for Mathey-Tissot, never had a problem with any of the watches I have, they use a mix of movements, I have automatics with ETA, Sellita & STP movements and Quartz with a mix of ETA and Ronda movements. With ETA movements harder to get they seem to have gone more with STP rather than Sellita movements by the look of things. They're also using Peseux movements more now, some new connection between Mathey-Tissot and Peseux.

IMO a decent brand, the finish and performance is on a par with the Tissot, Hamilton & Certina watches i have,only negative about the brand I have is their connection with Shopping Telly, especially the con artists on Ideal World, but the watches themselves i'm more than happy with.

A few of my favourite Mathey-Tissots

Mathey-Tissot 'Type 21 Flyback Chronograph' (Cal: Valjoux 7750)

Mathey-Tissot  'Type 21 Flyback Chronograph'  (Cal Valjoux 7750)

Mathey-Tissot 'Lord Collection' (Cal: M1-11 Incabloc)

Mathey-Tissot  'Lord Collection' (Cal M1-11 Incabloc)

Mathey-Tissot 'Rolly Vintage' (Sellita SW 200)

Mathey-Tissot 'Rolly Vintage'  (Sellita SW 200)

And a few others.:laughing2dw:

21

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Does that not suffice?  It is a couple of hundred quid.  Never going to be much of an investment,  but pretty much bound to work and bring you joy.  So if you have the cash to spare (God knows how with eight kids) and want it then nothing anyone here may say should deter you. 

Pretty much settles the point I guess

9 minutes ago, JoT said:

He is a judge, along with @Roger the Dodger and myself so be careful of contempt of court :naughty:

As Tupac said, only God can judge me.

Wait, she just passed judgement, I'm to refer to her as Mrs B and not God.

 

10 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

I've a few Mathey-Tissot, I really like them, although I wouldn't buy off Ideal World, usually you can find the watches elsewhere at lower prices, like Jomashop or ebay (especially their limited edition, you can get them way cheaper on ebay if you wait for a wee while after they've been on Ideal World).

As for Mathey-Tissot, never had a problem with any of the watches I have, they use a mix of movements, I have automatics with ETA, Sellita & STP movements and Quartz with a mix of ETA and Ronda movements. With ETA movements harder to get they seem to have gone more with STP rather than Sellita movements by the look of things. They're also using Peseux movements more now, some new connection between Mathey-Tissot and Peseux.

IMO a decent brand, the finish and performance is on a par with the Tissot, Hamilton & Certina watches i have,only negative about the brand I have is their connection with Shopping Telly, especially the con artists on Ideal World, but the watches themselves i'm more than happy with.

A few of my favourite Mathey-Tissots

Mathey-Tissot 'Type 21 Flyback Chronograph' (Cal: Valjoux 7750)

 

Mathey-Tissot  'Type 21 Flyback Chronograph'  (Cal Valjoux 7750)

Mathey-Tissot 'Lord Collection' (Cal: M1-11 Incabloc)

 

 

Mathey-Tissot  'Lord Collection' (Cal M1-11 Incabloc)

Mathey-Tissot 'Rolly Vintage' (Sellita SW 200)

 

 

Mathey-Tissot 'Rolly Vintage'  (Sellita SW 200)

And a few others.:laughing2dw:

 

 

21

 

Brilliant, I'm sold, off to Joma!

:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

After brief research they appear to have a rich history. The quality seems decent based on consumer reviews so yeah, maybe a nice affordable option.

Joma stock hundreds of variations and the price for the quartz watches is comparable to a Lorus from Argos, but whilst they might be a little plain for your tastes, I love some of the dials.

This one has caught my eye too, probably only around £100 with duties makes it a fairly risk free punt in my eyes.

https://www.jomashop.com/mathey-tissot-urban-watch-h411mabu.html

mathey-tissot-urban-quartz-blue-dial-men

Although as a side note, someone should get Jomaship to offer @Graham60 the job of photographing watches for them because he makes a watch look 100% better than they do. :notworthy:

 

48 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

No, only an arbiter of all fine things.

I've no concerns of him casting an eye over me then! :laughing2dw:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...