Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
  • 0

Broken Orient Kamasu


Newton Sheep
 Share

Question

I recently bought a Kamasu second-hand, only to find that the crown was not attached to the stem. Not a very happy boy :cursed:

As there's not a service centre in the UK I've looked online, emailed Long Island Watches and Orient USA, but no-one has been able to help.

Can anyone point me at where I can get a new stem and crown?

This has put me right off Orient.

 

Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
On 09/06/2021 at 16:47, Newton Sheep said:

here's a pic of the broken crown/stem. If you have a spare I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a few shekels :) 

 

CJCWLa4.jpg

 

(PS I can't PM Simon2 until I get 50 posts, and that's going to take forever!!)

 

Drop an email to https://www.michaelswift.co.uk/ and see if he can help, for info the movement is a F6922 Caliber Automatic

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

Contact simon2 on here, he may be able to help, he has his own sub-forum.  I genuinely believe you have been unlucky I have several Orients some fairly old and no issues, put a picture of it up, I have a couple here I bought for spares/repairs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1

Newton Sheep - welcome to the forum by the way :) - has already posted a picture further up the thread.

It's hard to tell from the photo but has the stem definitely broken/sheared (& left the broken bit in the crown) or has the crown just unscrewed from the stem? If it is broken then a new stem & crown will probably be needed but if it's just unscrewed then screw it back on with a tiny dab of glue/threadlock. This should be strong enough to stop the crown unscrewing from the stem again. Apologies if you've already tried this but worth a try if you haven't.

Orient are part owned by Seiko & build quality is usually pretty good. The trouble with buying used is that you don't know how the previous owner(s) have treated the watch .

Hope this helps & hope you get the watch sorted :thumbsup:

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 minutes ago, Biker said:

Contact simon2 on here, he may be able to help, he has his own sub-forum.  I genuinely believe you have been unlucky I have several Orients some fairly old and no issues, put a picture of it up, I have a couple here I bought for spares/repairs

Awesome, cheers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 23/05/2021 at 20:42, Newton Sheep said:

I recently bought a Kamasu second-hand, only to find that the crown was not attached to the stem. Not a very happy boy :cursed:

As there's not a service centre in the UK I've looked online, emailed Long Island Watches and Orient USA, but no-one has been able to help.

Can anyone point me at where I can get a new stem and crown?

This has put me right off Orient.

 

Thanks.

I recently had a problem with my Kamasu. One of the indices fell off and was just loose between the face and the glass. I took this to my local jewellers and was swiftly sorted at not much cost. Was quite disappointed initially but I have not let it tarnish my view of Orient watches as generally they are very good quality at a very good price point. I'm sure the issue with yours is just a simple fix in the right hands.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 23/05/2021 at 20:51, Biker said:

Contact simon2 on here, he may be able to help, he has his own sub-forum.  I genuinely believe you have been unlucky I have several Orients some fairly old and no issues, put a picture of it up, I have a couple here I bought for spares/repairs

here's a pic of the broken crown/stem. If you have a spare I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a few shekels :) 

 

CJCWLa4.jpg

 

(PS I can't PM Simon2 until I get 50 posts, and that's going to take forever!!)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
16 minutes ago, Newton Sheep said:

here's a pic of the broken crown/stem. If you have a spare I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a few shekels :) 

 

CJCWLa4.jpg

 

(PS I can't PM Simon2 until I get 50 posts, and that's going to take forever!!)

 

This has happened to my Kamasu also, its currently with the local jewellers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Newton Sheep said:

here's a pic of the broken crown/stem. If you have a spare I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a few shekels :) 

 

CJCWLa4.jpg

 

(PS I can't PM Simon2 until I get 50 posts, and that's going to take forever!!)

 

Unfortunately the ones I have for spares are shorter than that, these are older, smaller movements, sorry.

 

But I'll mention @simon2 and he may well show up on the thread, and offer something..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

A quick update for anyone that's interested.

Orient is rubbish and I will never buy one again. If you're in the UK avoid this brand as they are irreparable when something goes wrong.

I've contacted Orient US, Orient Japan, and every Orient service centre in Europe that I could find an email address for. Only ONE has bothered to reply, and then only to tell me that they don't service Orient any more!

I was pointed towards TUS Watches in the UK - again, didn't even bother to reply to my email.

So disappointed. Nice looking watch, complete junk.

Ah well, we live and learn...

 

(Makes a nice paperweight though :angry:)

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
34 minutes ago, Newton Sheep said:

A quick update for anyone that's interested.

Orient is rubbish and I will never buy one again. If you're in the UK avoid this brand as they are irreparable when something goes wrong.

I've contacted Orient US, Orient Japan, and every Orient service centre in Europe that I could find an email address for. Only ONE has bothered to reply, and then only to tell me that they don't service Orient any more!

I was pointed towards TUS Watches in the UK - again, didn't even bother to reply to my email.

So disappointed. Nice looking watch, complete junk.

Ah well, we live and learn...

 

(Makes a nice paperweight though :angry:)

 

Yes definitely interested. As I mentioned mine went back to the jewellers when the crown fell off the stem. It must have been there for about 5 weeks now! I must ring them up and get an update, they are closed today but will ring tomorrow. This is not a good sign I don't think, because they have had it so long it leads me to think they are struggling with it maybe. 

Maybe in the grand scheme of things the Kamasu's are so cheap to buy that repairing them is not a priority for Orient. Which if is the case is rather poor to hear. Ill keep this thread updated when I finally get mine back......if I do!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
22 hours ago, Roxyben said:

Yes definitely interested. As I mentioned mine went back to the jewellers when the crown fell off the stem. It must have been there for about 5 weeks now! I must ring them up and get an update, they are closed today but will ring tomorrow. This is not a good sign I don't think, because they have had it so long it leads me to think they are struggling with it maybe. 

Maybe in the grand scheme of things the Kamasu's are so cheap to buy that repairing them is not a priority for Orient. Which if is the case is rather poor to hear. Ill keep this thread updated when I finally get mine back......if I do!

yeah, let me know if you have any success. It's baffling that Orient to make spares available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Getting some Seiko parts is not that easy.

On 23/05/2021 at 20:42, Newton Sheep said:

I recently bought a Kamasu second-hand, only to find that the crown was not attached to the stem. Not a very happy boy :cursed:

As there's not a service centre in the UK I've looked online, emailed Long Island Watches and Orient USA, but no-one has been able to help.

Can anyone point me at where I can get a new stem and crown?

This has put me right off Orient.

 

Thanks.

Can a picture be supplied please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 25/06/2021 at 17:33, pauluspaolo said:

Newton Sheep - welcome to the forum by the way :) - has already posted a picture further up the thread.

It's hard to tell from the photo but has the stem definitely broken/sheared (& left the broken bit in the crown) or has the crown just unscrewed from the stem? If it is broken then a new stem & crown will probably be needed but if it's just unscrewed then screw it back on with a tiny dab of glue/threadlock. This should be strong enough to stop the crown unscrewing from the stem again. Apologies if you've already tried this but worth a try if you haven't.

Orient are part owned by Seiko & build quality is usually pretty good. The trouble with buying used is that you don't know how the previous owner(s) have treated the watch .

Hope this helps & hope you get the watch sorted :thumbsup:

I've tried inserting the stem back in to the crown but there's no depth to it so I'm working on the assumption that it's sheared, as opposed to just come apart. 

I'm not a modder and don't want to mess about for fear of causing more damage, so I'm trying to source a new crown and stem which is proving to be incredibly difficult. If I do manage to get replacement parts fitting them will be about the extent of my ability!

Thanks for the advice; I'll keep on hunting.

 

 

 

On 26/06/2021 at 12:08, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Totally agree with @pauluspaololoctite thread glue is about £3 - £5 and is a super easy fix...but only if that stem hasn't snapped inside (which is quite unlikely)

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you get your Orient sorted.

I'm pretty sure that it's snapped. How somebody managed to do this is a mystery. They must have really given it a whack at some point. Luckily the case  and crown guards are unmarked and the movement still operates. 

If only I could set the time :rolleyes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

In an update with my Kamasu, I actually rang the jewellers ist getting repaired at as its been there about 6 weeks now. Was basically told that they are struggling to source a new crown for it. Pretty much left it at that. Will just leave it with them as its no good to me broken. So not looking good really!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, Roxyben said:

In an update with my Kamasu, I actually rang the jewellers ist getting repaired at as its been there about 6 weeks now. Was basically told that they are struggling to source a new crown for it. Pretty much left it at that. Will just leave it with them as its no good to me broken. So not looking good really!

Sorry to hear that, but not unexpected.

I have some potentially good news. I found a wholesale importer in Iceland that is willing to help. They have stems in stock but no crowns, so they are ordering me one and say they will be available in August.

Their email address is echo@echo.is if you want to give them a try.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Newton Sheep said:

Sorry to hear that, but not unexpected.

I have some potentially good news. I found a wholesale importer in Iceland that is willing to help. They have stems in stock but no crowns, so they are ordering me one and say they will be available in August.

Their email address is echo@echo.is if you want to give them a try.

 

 

Ah thanks for the heads up, just going to leave it in the hands of the jewellers at the moment. See what they come up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

ok, some good news. Tom @ TUS Watches is able to get me the replacement parts that I need to get the Kamasu up and running again.

A big thanks to him for going the extra mile, especially considering that I didn't buy the watch from him in the first place. If you're after an Orient, speak to him, he's a good chap.

I hope that my next post will be to show a working watch :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...