• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I want something I shouldn't...

Okay time to flame me...

So after getting the Alexander Shorokhoff I realized I'm still missing a movement in my collection that I've had several times in various watches, but couldn't completely fall for the watches themselves. The ST19 or a variant thereof.

The problem, I'm finding, is that they're either usually in some cheap Chinese knockoff type of stuff, something I don't like the look of, or is a microbrand that just looks like all the other microbrand pieces they're in.

So what I want... I want a watch with the ST19, or of that base movement, that isn't any of the above. I want an ST19 that has been "Shorokhoffed" or something R.Paige like. I want bridge and plate embellishments and extremely expensive hand detailing and high grade regulation. Basically a ST19 that is no longer just an ST19! Just like Alexander Shorokhoff 3133s are no longer just 3133s.

I've searched tirelessly and came up with nothing sadly. I even email Alexander Shorokhoff to see if that's something they've considered doing or would do.

So I'm reaching out across the pond to see if anyone knows of anything like this?

I thought you had just given away a Sugess moon dial? That would have had an ST19 in it. 

Mind you, it was a Sugess.. I suppose it wasn't well decorated. 

It would be really interesting to see what could be done with a seagul 1963 (or even a vostok).

You do have another option.. someone recently had a fully engraved watch on show. Perhaps you could go down this route and have something unique made for you from one of seaguls more expencive models.

What would this look like fully engraved?

image.thumb.png.20a2236703118571b725602b43614c94.png

Edited by SolaVeritate

11 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I thought you had just given away a Sugess moon dial? That would have had an ST19 in it. 

Mind you, it was a Sugess.. I suppose it wasn't well decorated. 

It would be really interesting to see what could be done with a seagul 1963 (or even a vostok).

You do have another option.. someone recently had a fully engraved watch on show. Perhaps you could go down this route and have something unique made for you from one of seaguls more expencive models.

What would this look like fully engraved?

image.thumb.png.20a2236703118571b725602b43614c94.png

Yes and I did not like it. The dial was beautiful and yes the movement was too, but it's also just like every other ST19 I've ever seen. I want something with extra to it. Some rose gold plating on a bridge or arm somewhere that's visible. Or carbon fiber or even just black paint. Something to set it apart and show that more attention and detail went into it than your everyday average and generic Chinese ST19 that can be had in anything $150 and up.

I think I wasn't very clear in my rambling, I don't want the case engraved. I want the movement to be stand out. I want it regulated by a Swiss watchmaker or German. I want something that adds some prestige to it. From China gets no nods from me anymore.

• Like 1

Whilst my suggestion hasn't gone super far with the movement decoration, and is indeed a microbrand, it has certainly gone a little away from generic (certainly in colour scheme) has prettied up the movement a little and is UK based despite the origin of the motor it carries....but could you carry off a.....watermelon?

image.thumb.png.257136995eaa8c3b5e5c0285c91fa7eb.png

BLACK_BACK_6e133ff4-ad19-475b-b5b6-2a1c1

SU_MACRO_Skeletoncopy_864b22a7-2d04-42d0

SU_WM_WRIST_SQUARE_1080x.jpg?v=162007369

Just £370 if you're man enough to rock a pink and green dial with watermelon shaped pips.

https://underd0g.com/products/01wmb

And even some mention (all be it vague as to whether it is every piece) of regulation:

Quality Control

By partnering with Horologium, we're able to offer a full independent QC inspection on all watches before they’re shipped out from the UK. The process includes demagnetisation, accuracy / rate review (3 positions) and regulation wherever necessary. A report card is included with every watch. 

I expect I'm wide of the mark by a distance, but it was the first thought I had from the question you raised in the OP.

Also available as "Desert Sky" a homage to the designers trainers

01DST_FRONT_1080x.jpg?v=1620644038

And a more traditional looking "go0fy panda" with bamboo shoot inspired green tipped second hand.

01GPB_FRONT_1080x.jpg?v=1620643488

Edited by Bricey
I type like I'm using a head wand

@Bricey

Thanks for those suggestions. I've checked then out and they are cool, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a high quality workmanship with the movement primarily. I want an ST19 that alone cost me $1000, let alone the watch. I want it visibly different than the same old movement you see in all of these watches because turn them over and they all look exactly the same!

4 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

@Bricey

Thanks for those suggestions. I've checked then out and they are cool, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a high quality workmanship with the movement primarily. I want an ST19 that alone cost me $1000, let alone the watch. I want it visibly different than the same old movement you see in all of these watches because turn them over and they all look exactly the same!

Cheap and funky is my best offer, if you want quality craftsmanship and incredible quality, then you need @yokel doing the suggestions.

But I'm warning you now, it won't look like a species of the Cucurbitaceae family.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

It seems nobody is doing guilloche st19s, there are a couple of skeleton variations but nothing really funky.

There are a few start up companies using it but you are right. They have the same straightforward movement.

I'm in talks right now with a microbrand who also uses a small London form with in-house Swiss watchmakers who will do regulation and certification of movements to customer spec, I'm hoping they also maybe do some painting and etching on certain movement parts so I can perhaps get this thing up to my standard.