• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Does any watch actually look good on a 'Bond' NATO?

I bought an 18mm for a particular watch,that looked OK, but the date window was not quite square on the wheel, and even a service / repair could not fix it, so I sold the watch, and the strap has only served since as a temporary strap for any 18mm lug watch arriving without one - the person buying the aforementioned watch even said I could keep the strap, hence the reason I still have it!

I sometimes put it on a watch, and think, "well, maybe", but it never stays on for long. 

I also 'inherited' a 22mm version with a watch that arrived with 3 straps, but that has remained pristine and unused.

So, I know it is a very popular version, but I hardly ever see watch pictures posted on a Bond NATO, and I have a suspicion that it suits very few watches.

Anybody had any 'success' with this style / pattern?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have quite a nice quality bond nato, and I think your right. It's been on every watch but never stays too long. Just something about it doesn't look quite right. Although I do like the colourings in theory it should appeal to me, but in practice always just never seems to feel right. Maybe one to be left to Mr Bond himself.

Although saying that I have picked up a bond strap which is a slight variation on the bond which does work with a certain watch I have. Will have to post pictures later though! 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

Although I do like the colourings in theory it should appeal to me, but in practice ...

I have watches that it should go with very well in theory, with complementary dials, or details, or chapter rings, but it never quite gels.

I have an Estoril 300 which is sold on a Bond Nato & I think it works well & I bought a Bond Para (yes I know it's not a Nato!) which I think works well on my Victorinox Chrono :argue:

estoril nato wrist

victorinox chrono bond para wrist

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Maybe it doesn't look right, or my idea of a Bond is wrong, but I have had one (albeit not a NATO) on this for a long time and I like it.  IMG-20210516-1019169-2.jpg

Definitely cause for hope there!

I do have a Seiko 5 incoming, so maybe ...

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PaulBoy said:

I have an Estoril 300 which is sold on a Bond Nato & I think it works well & I bought a Bond Para (yes I know it's not a Nato!) which I think works well on my Victorinox Chrono :argue:

estoril nato wrist

I get what the OP is saying, I like my Carrera on a grey and black para, mainly for the comfort of wear, but the lugs don't look right I know

20210525_091749.thumb.jpg.6ddf5ac85e868bae0c936fbb733e1466.jpg

I do however love the look and wear of my C65 on the same strap

20210408_094834.thumb.jpg.00c8ce12aab2352c10392436aff90190.jpg

I think it feels and looks fantastic.

I do appreciate that I'm going with they grey and black refered to as Bond, and not the actual bond, and also that an elasticated strap is not an actual NATO.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, PaulBoy said:

estoril nato wrist

The new bond NATO is a bit easier to pair.  Although I have a Zulu version I am hoping to ship off on an old diver.  I should have clarified I was talking about the Real Bond.

Edited by Jet Jetski

9 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

The new bond NATO is a bit easier to pair.  Although I have a Zulu version I am hoping to ship off on an old diver.  I should have clarified I was talking about the Real Bond.

7 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Is the real Bond the grey and black or the one with olive and red?  The article below suggests the latter. 

https://grail-watch.com/2018/04/19/the-real-james-bond-watch-strap-resurrected/   

To be fair they both qualify as "real" Bonds now after Daniel Craig wearing the black and grey type for several films now. There is of course a third variant now with the black/grey with the khaki  edging to the grey stripes used on the new Faux patina Seamaster for NTTD.

Ironically the only watch I've really been happy with on the ...let's call it the "original" Bond is a Vostok:

p?i=e16bef9d57c133503c9ced8dd274676e

I still wear it on a leather strap though, I just don't like the way NATO straps sit on the wrist.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

they both qualify as "real" Bonds

Are you mad?  There can be only one, Highlander.

8 hours ago, Francis Urquhart said:

Is the real Bond the grey and black or the one with olive and red?  The article below suggests the latter. 

https://grail-watch.com/2018/04/19/the-real-james-bond-watch-strap-resurrected/   

Definitely the latter.  I was of course trolling by implying Craig is not real, I think he is the best bond in very many ways, but sentimentally I cannot forget my cinematic introduction to Bond, at a Sean Connery double-bill around 1975.

This is the strap I mentioned earlier, instead of solid lines they are an almost chevron like effect. Suits this watch in my opinion. Kind of matches the dial. 

Dogs shadowing me this morning as she knows it's time to go out. Just avoiding it though as it's chucking it down.......again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a cheap black and grey nato which only gets used as a stop gap while a proper strap is on order. Doesn't look good and feels horrible.

11 hours ago, Bricey said:

20210408_094834.thumb.jpg.00c8ce12aab2352c10392436aff90190.jpg

I think it feels and looks fantastic.

I do appreciate that I'm going with they grey and black refered to as Bond, and not the actual bond, and also that an elasticated strap is not an actual NATO

I do like  that. Perhaps it is the lugs as much as the strap.

22 minutes ago, Roxyben said:

This is the strap I mentioned earlier, instead of solid lines they are an almost chevron like effect. Suits this watch in my opinion. Kind of matches the dial. 

and really like that. A bit of a variation on the classic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried a Bond NATO on several watches and didn't like it, also tried various other striped NATO and didn't like them either - maybe I have just not found the right one

My favourite is a plain grey NATO I bought from Roy 15+ years ago, it is stitched rather than welded and is made of a different fabric than those you find today

large.P8130055s.jpg.af702ab0db97faf401897f898b1c740b.jpg

I also quite like the plain black single pass NATO

large.444812356_IMAG19152.jpg.eb27874eb48dba6a7828e591c54e12f7.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Agree, plain coloured NATO straps do seem to be more likely to improve a watch than a Bond pattern.

I admit im prejudiced when it come to NATO straps, and thats because although some can look tidy  i just dont like the fact that the strap often gets all bunched up and shoved in the keepers, then it sticks out making it make it look untidy and often spoils the aesthetic of a watch, some fitted NATO`s are passable because they`re tailored to the watch!

Edited by sabailand

5 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

To be fair they both qualify as "real" Bonds now after Daniel Craig wearing the black and grey type for several films now. There is of course a third variant now with the black/grey with the khaki  edging to the grey stripes used on the new Faux patina Seamaster for NTTD.

Ironically the only watch I've really been happy with on the ...let's call it the "original" Bond is a Vostok:

p?i=e16bef9d57c133503c9ced8dd274676e

I still wear it on a leather strap though, I just don't like the way NATO straps sit on the wrist.

OK if this Nato is the "Original Bond" I can see how people would say it doesn't look good on (m)any watches? - That colour combination would be tricky to match up (imho) - It does look good on the Vostok above though & (again imho) could work with some bronze cased watches?