• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

More microbrands

I seem to keep falling down a microbrand Internet window shopping rabbit hole.

A couple I have seen and really like the look of this evening that I'll put up to get shot down as brutally as a Slovakian shooting star:

Serica 5303 Diver

I make no apologies for liking vintage style divers, I know they are not to everyone's taste, I know it's all been done before and it's just tweaking half a dozen different tried and tested characteristics into different combinations that for many all end up looking like different shades of grey, but I do like this one and feel that whilst individually it's features are not unique, it is just about able to look a little different whilst still being traditionally more of the same.

serica-5303-1-black-divers-watch-1-1024x

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/product/serica-5303-black-dial/

Serica 4512 California Dial

Simply put I think this walks a fine line between boring and quirky. I never do well with dramatic or off the wall watches, I'm more of a boring steady Eddie plain old watch kind of guy, but this falls in my comfort zone whilst still being a little different to what I'd normally wear.

SERICA-4512-California-fp-face.jpg

https://www.serica-watches.com/en/product/serica-4512-california/

Maen Hudson 38mm Diver

Whilst I worry that 38mm is a little small for a diver, it doesn't appear to be the bezel to crystal ratio wouldn't make this feel like it was too small (I had a CW C60 38mm where it felt almost as high as it was wide and like the bezel meant the crystal was about 22mm)

Maen-Hudson-001-1024x683.jpg

https://www.maenwatches.com/collections/hudson-38-automatic/products/hudson-38-automatic-date-midnight-blue

As always, welcome people's thoughts on these, and suggestions on others to take a look at.

Edited by Bricey
  • Like 4

I like that first one you posted the Serica 5303. Its different enough from the rest of the pack to stand out. Think the dual purpose bezel is a great idea and I have not seen that done before. The hands are nice and the markers are also a bit different. I can deal with the oversize crown, think it suits. Not too sure about the second Serica though. Not entirely sold on California dials yet although I have learned something off the website....

HALF-ROMAN AND HALF-ARABIC NUMERALS WERE USED BY THE MILITARY TO MAKE MIS-READING TIME IN ACTION IMPOSSIBLE. EVEN UPSIDE DOWN, UNDER-WATER OR IN THE AIR.

The third one you posted just looks like another generic diver, nothing too unpleasant but yet again nothing to get excited over. For me anyways!

The Margrette's are nice, especially the engraved one, quite classy those ones.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Hey @Bricey, anything we can buy that doesn't involve getting clobbered with vat and handling charges ? 

Lol, you asking an accountant to help avoid taxes, I'll try and think of something!

magrette_mpp-blue-dial-4.jpg?v=1585500305

This is gorgeous its the Moana which has significance for me as I read a book call Moana Vastness of the Sea by Bernard Gorsky many years ago.

Not sure how we stand post Brexit with imports from New Zealand, might make an enquiry!!

• Like 1

This thread visually encapsulates what I dislike about most Micro Brands .. having no heritage , they "choose" elements from several other brands of heritage and then hotch Potch up a design. I find it tedious to be honest ... 

15 minutes ago, Darren 66 said:

Not sure how we stand post Brexit with imports from New Zealand, might make an enquiry!!

New Zealand is not in the European Union so Brexit has zero relevance to imports from there ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Hey @Bricey, anything we can buy that doesn't involve getting clobbered with vat and handling charges ? :thumbsup:

Most food is zero rated or you could buy children's clothes, books and magazines or buy from charity shops (items must have been donated by the public).

If you want a pre-owned watch then best to buy from a UK dealer as they will probably only charge VAT on their mark up whereas an imported one will suffer the full 20%.

Why is it that we only complain about being hit by VAT on watches we import. Can't recall seeing a thread on here saying "got clobbered with £1k of VAT on the Rolex I bought from a UK AD"

1 minute ago, richy176 said:

Why is it that we only complain about being hit by VAT on watches we import. 

Possibly because the last three watches I have bought outside the UK have incurred vat, on top of vat, and other charges, which previously didn't exist, and I honestly can't be bothered seeing if I can claim anything back, so, phoning someone in the UK to buy something exciting and 'home grown" would be most be most welcome. :yahoo:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

A13a are worth a look,I had one for a short time,they are quite deep tho.

I'm superstitious. :evil9kf:

If I see a watch in an advertising picture with the date at "13". No sale. :crazy5vh:

58 minutes ago, Darren 66 said:

magrette_mpp-blue-dial-4.jpg?v=1585500305

This is gorgeous its the Moana which has significance for me as I read a book call Moana Vastness of the Sea by Bernard Gorsky many years ago.

Sorry, it looks like a modded Vostok. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Possibly because the last three watches I have bought outside the UK have incurred vat, on top of vat, and other charges, which previously didn't exist, and I honestly can't be bothered seeing if I can claim anything back, so, phoning someone in the UK to buy something exciting and 'home grown" would be most be most welcome. :yahoo:

I was thinking more about buying new where only one lot of VAT is charged.  About the only way to avoid double VAT on used items from EU countries would be for the seller to mark the customs declaration as a gift and maybe include a birthday card to make it look good.

2 hours ago, richy176 said:

I was thinking more about buying new where only one lot of VAT is charged.  About the only way to avoid double VAT on used items from EU countries would be for the seller to mark the customs declaration as a gift and maybe include a birthday card to make it look good.

HMRC might get a bit suspicious after 74 different birthday dates.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

HMRC might get a bit suspicious after 74 different birthday dates.

I could feasibly get away with 10 at Chez Bricey, plus Mothers day, Fathers day, Christmas.....I could work this!

Don't like any shown above bar Magrette, which is a well established and highly regarded microbrand of several years standing. And I own one.

And actually, coming from NZ and no longer being in the EU does make a difference, as they were sold via an EU dealer. That now has no bearing for UK customers, unless he drops his prices for the UK accordingly. 

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Sorry, it looks like a modded Vostok. :thumbsup:

Wrench I've looked through the Vostok range (you have now started another fascination for me....:tongue:)

I don't think the Moana looks anything like any of the Vostoks, modded or otherwise but I have not had long to go through them all, YET.

I've emailed them, the current exchange rate at USD to sterling means it will be in the late £500's which is a lot for a watch on a Nato strap, plus I don't really like Nato's (there, I said it. Now let the hate flow...) If I can maybe get them to budge a bit on price and throw in a silicone strap or bracelet it might be worth the money.

• Like 1

I respect the Maen, though recommend Outsiders as well. Despise California dials and unfitted bracelets so that one can pi$$ off. The first one is fantastic though! Actually original in many ways! Really dig that bracelet transition from the end links! Very impressive!

• Agree 1

Gotta say, that Serica is really calling to me and I may just have to do it. I hate mesh bracelets, but those super cool end link attachments and the way the mesh actually tapers just speaks to me. Plus it's using that new Soprod Newton movement which is regulated to an accuracy of 4 seconds per day!!! I dig the dial and bezel layout as well. Only thing I don't like is the lack of branding on the upper portion of the dial, but not a deal breaker. Hmmm damn you @Bricey lol

• Haha 1