• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Why did they have to make it so difficult?

Major rant.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Cartier. And I absolutely adore my Tank.

But trying to get hold of a replacement strap feels like negotiating a labyrinth of Minotaurean proportions.

Firstly, it’s a non-standard strap with a strange lug width (22.5 to 23 mm) tapering to 17 mm at the double deployant buckle end. There are no holes, it’s a friction system (absolutely brilliant) and the two halves of the strap are identical.

A visit to the Cartier website seems to indicate that the only way to get a replacement strap is to send your watch off for about eight weeks. So I sent them an email and received a reply that I could indeed get a replacement strap sent “to your residency” from the Bond Street boutique, and that I would need to send photographs of the case back, strap and deployant with reference numbers for the watch and the strap. I have now done that, and I await their response to see how many assorted limbs this is going to cost me.

What a flippin’ palaver! :wacko:

I love Cartier. Honestly, I do. But really...????

Edited by AVO

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

Could you not have gone into an AD ?? 

We used to have an excellent AD in Norwich. Unfortunately, about a year after I bought the watch from them (so around 2017) either they ditched Cartier or Cartier ditched them. The nearest store is now in London. 

But I agree with your assessment. I think it’s better to source original straps for these watches. I’ve seen cheap versions on Etsy but I would worry about the quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richy176 said:

I would guess the strap will be between £1k and £1.5k

I very much doubt it! And if it is I shall be going back to Etsy! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Karrusel said:

Try giving Steveostraps a call?

Made some bespoke straps for me, very impressed...& reasonable!

May have to send old strap as template?

:thumbsup:

Yep ! .. that was the outfit that was eluding me to be honest .. a good friend of mine only owns a couple of watches , but one is a Chanel and he got a beautiful strap from Steveo... the quality for the outlay was sublime .... 

Edited by JonnyOldBoy

Oddly enough, I recently picked up a Cartier Santos 100.

It came on a leather strap, with the deployant...Me being me! Though, I also ordered another strap and deployant. (from etsy as it goes!)..to "save"!? the original Cartier strap, which is in an almost (might even be new?!) new strap.

Off course though! Now I need to get a screwdriver to actually change the damn thing! Mine is from 2016...I see the ones from 2018 came with an easy change strap system.