• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Dilemma. Can’t see the hands

Dilemma, bought this a couple of months ago. I love the watch but struggle to see the hands. my eyesight is just getting worse and worse. 
The question is am I mad to change or even paint the hands or should I just sell it and get something I can see? :( 

22F4D379-B08B-4E82-8B07-E18FEBFF3903.jpeg

• Agree 2

Oh dear, I fear I may be in the same pickle, Roy.

I've ordered a bit of an inexpensive  "bargain" chronograph with a dark grey dial and black hands. Reviews for the watch are good EXCEPT that customers are finding the watch a bit hard to read, and like you and JoT, my eyesight is getting worse. :)

Your Seiko though, unlike my chrono, is a thing of genuine beauty, and it would be a shame to modify it. Perhaps artistmike has offered a good solution with a new pair of hands, if you can get the exact match in terms of shape and size - Seiko hands of that type are really seductive.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I didn’t want a boring black dial :laugh:Probably should have gone with one though cause I would have been able to see the hands against it. 
I’m thinking now, what if I blued the original hands? Is that madness? :huh:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Personally I would sell the watch. It would be a shame to modify it. Not sure it would look right.

It took me a couple of minutes to realise it had a power reserve indicator hand. There just isn't enough contrast.

22 minutes ago, Roy said:

I didn’t want a boring black dial :laugh:Probably should have gone with one though cause I would have been able to see the hands against it. 
I’m thinking now, what if I blued the original hands? Is that madness? :huh:

Go for it! ... :)

• Like 1

@Roy I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I’ve always had really good eyesight but I have noticed it tailing off in the almost 4 years since I turned 60. I have worn simple proprietary reading glasses for a year or two now, but find that I need a higher strength for close work than I did before. I’m still absolutely fine with distance work, driving and so on. In recent years I have made a conscious decision to seek out watches with very good contrast on the dials. I wondered whether my UN would be difficult to read, but it’s actually very legible.

FB2002D5-643B-4D1D-9C8B-D40CF4A08473.thumb.jpeg.529006dfd78f63ea3c02e20134554c36.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy said:

Dilemma, bought this a couple of months ago. I love the watch but struggle to see the hands. my eyesight is just getting worse and worse. 
The question is am I mad to change or even paint the hands or should I just sell it and get something I can see? :( 

22F4D379-B08B-4E82-8B07-E18FEBFF3903.jpeg

Send it to me Roy and just call when you want to know the time. :whistle:

• Haha 4

It's a lovely looking watch, but I would also struggle to see the time with my "Mr Magoo" eyesight - Would it be feasible rather than changing the hands or painting them, to get a thin black line added to the very edge of the existing hands? (sorry if that's a stupid idea, but that's my exact area of expertise!)
Paul

What about changing the hands for gold coloured, might even be a gold option for the indices dial?

I have an Omega Seamaster 150m which has a white face with rose gold hands and indices and is quite easy to read.