• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Expensive Watches On Rubber Straps With No Bracelet Option

Expensive new watches on rubber straps

It seems to be happening a lot, watches on rubber with no leather or bracelet option

I don't get it

Personally I would never buy a watch on rubber if it didn't have a bracelet option, even a Seiko! But to pay $69,000 for a Patek on a rubber strap?

Really?!

PP_Aquanaut-2021.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Panerai is one exception I can think of , may be getting the entry level white dialled Luminor on rubber in July if I try it on and I like it , would never ever buy or wear a Pan on a metal bracelet , but for virtually all other brands/models , I completely agree...

42 minutes ago, JoT said:

Expensive new watches on rubber straps

I'm with you on this, John. I don't really like straps, either leather or rubber. It took me a long time to source my Orca and Ecozilla on bracelets as they are usually sold on rubber, though the latter did come with both. I certainly think a good bracelet looks nicer than rubber.

Never rubber, ever!

I'm dead set against it. I loathe the look, the feeling and the smell of it. There are certain watches that do look "at home"on a rubber strap, but even those I would quickly swap to leather. 

• Agree 1

I wonder what it would be like to spend $69k on a watch without flinching ? :hmmm9uh:

2 hours ago, antjrice said:

As John Mayer pointed out on TW, these watches seem to be aimed at the crowd that already have heavy hitters on bracelets in place.

Just now, Roy said:

I had a rubber that ended up costing me more than that :laugh:

But did you flinch ? :laughing2dw:

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I wonder what it would be like to spend $69k on a watch without flinching ? :hmmm9uh:

But did you flinch ? :laughing2dw:

I deleted that comment as it wasn’t true.
It was a mate, honest. So no I didn’t flinch :laugh:

• Haha 3

I don't mind rubber straps, I use them for cycling to work, perspiration ruins leather and I have to keep my watch in my pocket while working so a metal bracelet would scratch the watch. However, any watch over £1000 should definitely come with a bracelet first and then maybe the option for rubber.  I have to think how much replacement straps are from Patel :swoon:

60% (that's one of those internet statistics) of my watches DON'T come on a strap I can live with. Admittedly those are anything without a SS bracelet.

I spend half my time figuring out if I can get a bracelet to match the watch and add it into the cost. I've even bought a few 'broken fix it up' and 'needs attention' donor watches in sheer hope with crossed fingers.

But there is no way I would pay for an expensive watch without a metal bracelet option. 

You're correct.. these designer's need arrested and taken before a group of their peers and immediately shot. How very very dare them!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

But there is no way I would pay for an expensive watch without a metal bracelet option. 

Each to his own taste.

Of my fifteen watches (none of which came from Argos), only one (the Rolex  --  which was a gift to me) has a bracelet. Ergo, I have never bought a watch with a bracelet  --  just doesn't look elegant to my eyes.

As for rubber, I have only one. It is beautifully supple, and has no odour at all.

20190614a-1000.JPG

2 hours ago, yokel said:

As for rubber, I have only one. It is beautifully supple, and has no odour at all.

20190614a-1000.JPG

Well there is rubber, and then there is silicone and it’s variations.....I agree rubber is ‘orrible but some “non metal” straps are lovely......and no they don’t smell.

• Like 1

After having many decent watches on bracelets and leather, I felt having these higher end ones on rubber helped differentiate them. I don’t think they’d look right on a bracelet either IMO

Bringing them to Thailand also made me realise how comfortable they are to wear:

19f54648376a4ce8fc3f4ec6d1a26598.jpeg
54a83521a1493efc3d49fedf002cd2ac.jpeg
2084e4ac6fd5b691b4d473202ac84a52.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1