• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

My perfect watch would have...

Hi everyone. Most of us have an image of a perfect watch, it's size and features. Some people find it, some find something very close, other keep looking.

Can you describe us your perfect watch. Who knows maybe there is one matching description and someone here knows it and will suggest it.

For me it would be a hand winder, 36 to 38 mm round case, on slim, very comfortable steel bracelet, sapphire glass, aplied indices, no date.

Can't go as small as 38mm  --  but elegant and hand wound. However, I wouldn't go near a bracelet for a fine watch  --  and actually my most favorite watch does not feature applied indices (so I'll offer a second version) . . . . . .

20200315a-1000.jpg

20190612b-1000.jpg

20190721g-1k.jpg

20190721b-1k.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yokel said:

Can't go as small as 38mm  --  but elegant and hand wound. However, I wouldn't go near a bracelet for a fine watch  --  and actually my most favorite watch does not feature applied indices (so I'll offer a second version) . . . . . .

20200315a-1000.jpg

20190612b-1000.jpg

20190721g-1k.jpg

20190721b-1k.jpg

Hi @yokel, now you've done your perfect watch, could you post some pictures of my perfect watch (your Moser :laughing2dw:)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Hi @yokel, now you've done your perfect watch, could you post some pictures of my perfect watch (your Moser :laughing2dw:)

So, Bricey's perfect watch is also larger than 38mm (sorry), is not on a bracelet (sorry), and is actually on "rubber" (sorry)  --  but it does have applied indices :tongue:

And it doesn't say "Swiss Made" !!

2018-08-26a.jpg

20180906a-1000.JPG

20190118b-1000.JPG

20190118a-1000.JPG

20180816b-1000.JPG

Edited by yokel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, yokel said:

So, Bricey's perfect watch is also larger than 38mm (sorry), is not on a bracelet (sorry), and is actually on "rubber" (sorry)  --  but it does have applied indices :tongue:

2018-08-26a.jpg

20180906a-1000.JPG

20190118b-1000.JPG

20190118a-1000.JPG

20180816b-1000.JPG

You missed mentioning that it is absolutely beautiful and has a dial you could swim in for days.

There are plenty that post watches on here that turn my eyes a little green, but accepting that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and that we all "like what we like", that watch, as I said the first time I saw you post it, is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

You missed mentioning that it is absolutely beautiful and has a dial you could swim in for days.

There are plenty that post watches on here that turn my eyes a little green, but accepting that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and that we all "like what we like", that watch, as I said the first time I saw you post it, is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen.

Looks like you have a "grail" sorted out, Sir.

Not difficult to find though  --  well, not any more difficult to find than a Moser AD. Do you still have two serviceable kidneys?

26 minutes ago, yokel said:

Looks like you have a "grail" sorted out, Sir.

Not difficult to find though  --  well, not any more difficult to find than a Moser AD. Do you still have two serviceable kidneys?

:laughing2dw: I do, but our five year old has Chronic Kidney Disease, so I have to hold onto the reserve in case she needs it someday.

My testicles have proven to be pretty high functioning, and I certainly don't want to increase the Bricey pool any further so I might see if I can get a decent price for them!

• Haha 1

My perfect watch would look something like the following...

40-41mm diameter case brushed with polished chamfers at the top edges, 11-12.5mm thickness, Alexander Shorokhoff 3133, no date dial, blue sunburst or gradient fumed dial, black Chrono pushers, chrome rimmed dual Chrono registers, perfect hand and marker/indicies alignment, black Sapphire tachy bezel, exhibition back, red tipped seconds hands, Alexander Shorokhoff black leather strap with white stitching, sapphire glass top and bottom, & 200m water resistance.

I think that about sums it up. Basically it's an Alexander Shorokhoff watch, with a couple of small touches added on top.

• Like 1

39-42mm diameter.

Display back showing hand decorated, in-house movement.

Face and hand-wound movement filling the case  --  sorry Monsieur Genta, I don't like your predilection for surrounding a small watch with acres of metal to make it appear big.

Crocodile strap with double deployant (been to Africa many times; have trouble believing crocs are desperately endangered).

Don't care about resale value  --  I very rarely have ever sold a watch.

Edited by yokel

2 hours ago, yokel said:

Don't care about resale value  --  I very rarely have ever sold a watch.

My post was tongue in cheek to a degree.  I had a 2017 Rolex bimetal gmt 2. I paid about £8k for it in 2019 and sold it for £5k 2 years ago. The equivalent watch on watchfinder is £13k today.

With the exception of my Franck Muller conquistadors and Cartier roadster, I buy a watch and quickly tire of it and end up losing a chunk when I sell. 

11 hours ago, Marcin said:

For me it would be a hand winder, 36 to 38 mm round case, on slim, very comfortable steel bracelet, sapphire glass, aplied indices, no date.

Mine is quite similar, definitely hand wind and no date, but I wouldn't want a metal bracelet, I would add a screw down crown with at least 100m water resistance, but a printed dial would be ok if it looked good.

I don't think I could describe a perfect watch. There's so much variety available... I'd probably have a list of 5 or so that would cover all bases.

The recent green Carrera LE isn't far off covering one of those but I'd want a different movement.