• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Speedy Advice

I’m looking to get myself a Speedy, which is a watch I can’t seem to get out of my head despite being a bit obvious. However, wanting to be a bit different (and due to having girly 6.5” wrists),  I’d like to look outside the Pro. 

I have my eye on either something like a 326.30.40.50.01.001 or maybe a 3518.50, which is pricier but I love the dial. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

I’ve been put off the Speedy Reduced… but the Speedy Date is also appealing. These Racing models with the 3330 movement seem to be a nice sweet spot?

I got the reduced myself. Very happy with it, until I have to get a servicing, but with how little my watches see action that won't be for a very long time so I don't mind. A fantastic size, both diameter and thickness.

• Like 1

The Speedy Pro with the hesalite crystal is the only one to get.

Don't wear it on the bracelet. It looks great on almost any strap, so wear it on your favourite and most comfortable strap.

From experience, the Speedy won't be off your wrist all Summer.

I purchased the Speedy Pro Sapphire Sandwich 3 months ago. I believe that if you're looking for the one that is close to the one that went to the moon then a hesalite version with metal caseback is for you. My wrist is 6.75". I could not wear this watch if my wrist was any smaller. The lug to lug would be too big. I went with the sapphire because of durability, Plus I enjoy looking at the movement. As stated above, you WILL wear it a great deal..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, MD770 said:

I’m looking to get myself a Speedy, which is a watch I can’t seem to get out of my head despite being a bit obvious. However, wanting to be a bit different (and due to having girly 6.5” wrists),  I’d like to look outside the Pro. 

The Reduced are great watches, but before you make up your mind I'd advise you to go to and AD and try on the hesalite Moonwatch. I too, despite being a six footer have very thin wrists but the Moonwatch really doesn't wear too big, in fact it's extremely comfortable. The reduced versions in fact seem slightly less comfortable due to the inevitable thickness of the movement. Best to try for free so that you don't feel that you have made an expensive mistake. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you all, really useful info. Didn’t want to spend more than about £3300 on this one so I think that rules out the FOIS and might be a little entry level for a Pro. But I’m intrigued by the wearing small and maybe I should try one on as suggested. I prefer leather straps, too - which I think can help with the sizing. 

• Like 1

This >

1 hour ago, artistmike said:

The Reduced are great watches, but before you make up your mind I'd advise you to go to and AD and try on the hesalite Moonwatch. I too, despite being a six footer have very thin wrists but the Moonwatch really doesn't wear too big, in fact it's extremely comfortable. The reduced versions in fact seem slightly less comfortable due to the inevitable thickness of the movement. Best to try for free so that you don't feel that you have made an expensive mistake. :)

• Like 1

I have a Reduced which I got as I also have 6.5in wrists. I reckon I could get away with a Pro though. 

I don't really wear it much though as there's not a lot going on in the design. I think I might if it was a racing as they are a little more creative. 

• Like 1

The Racing variant you have listed is the last of the Speedmaster "date" lineage and its is a fantastic watch for the money ... That will almost certainly be the watch for you given the wrist size. The Moonwatch will most probably look ridiculous on your wrist ,,,, 7 inch wrists is about the minimum for a moony.  I owned the date version one release before that "racing" model and it was the nicest chrono I have ever worn. I only flipped it because I had the chance to get a Breitling Colt that was unworn but deleted variant. I will most probably buy another "date" lineage Speedy in the future ... one of the most underrated watch lines ever made in my opinion. 

My wrists are 7.5 and I tried on the "date" and the "moony" at the same time and it was no contest. Moony was a lovely watch but did wear a bit big , presumably because of the basic dial pulling that optical illusion. 

10 hours ago, Shoughie0 said:

The Speedy Pro with the hesalite crystal is the only one to get.

Don't wear it on the bracelet. It looks great on almost any strap, so wear it on your favourite and most comfortable strap.

From experience, the Speedy won't be off your wrist all Summer.

Do you have 6.5 inch wrists ?

I got a speedy a few years ago on a black leather strap and with the sapphire crystal.

At the Omega AD, I had 4 watches in front of me, two bracelets and 2 leather and each with hesalite and sapphire. In the end, the leather just looked better and as a person who doesn't want to be worried about the risk of scratches, the sapphire got the nod. 

So not quite the authentic moon landings version but it is a beautiful piece of work.

• Like 1

I had a speedy reduced, it was the Olympic edition with a white face and emblem, I loved it but it did seem a little small on my wrist (8.5”) even with the bracelet, but as mentioned above come service time it’s a pain as it’s a sandwich type and a lot of places don’t like them and charge quite a bit (like the Dynamic Chrono).

You just have to try both.

21 minutes ago, artistmike said:

I disagree, I have 6.5" wrists and a Moonwatch wears just fine.

32840358711_f814811890_o.jpg

If he tried on that and then tried on the Racing , the Moony would in comparison wear like a dinner plate I reckon .. It's all horses for courses and optical illusions play a part. Also its not all about the wrist circumference alone, it's the hand bone shapes and how the hand "fans" out or does not. But in this case it's about comparisons. The Date lineage of watches are bottom-of-case heavy and have the physical presence whilst having the more diminutive size and profile. It depends what you want from your watch I guess .....

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

If he tried on that and then tried on the Racing , the Moony would in comparison wear like a dinner plate I reckon .. It's all horses for courses and optical illusions play a part. Also its not all about the wrist circumference alone, it's the hand bone shapes and how the hand "fans" out or does not. But in this case it's about comparisons. The Date lineage of watches are bottom-of-case heavy and have the physical presence whilst having the more diminutive size and profile. It depends what you want from your watch I guess .....

I think the term for all that is .... absolute :bullshitter: ... :biggrin:

57 minutes ago, artistmike said:

I think the term for all that is .... absolute :bullshitter: ... :biggrin:

You appear defensive because you now realise your watch perhaps looks ridiculous because its too big on a small wrist !? .... salesman's dream eh !? "..... of course Sir , that watch is hardly noticeable on your wrist , I need a loupe just to spot if it is even there .... " :mad0218:

Forgetting all the Moony hype and all that , I still think the OP will choose wisely if he goes Racing rather than falling for all the hype etc etc 

I found the moon watch a bit big for my 6.5 wrists but I wouldn’t describe my wrist as particularly flat.

Looking at the photo again now though, I probably wouldn’t write it off completely although would more likely look at a reduced if I was heading that way.

BB3D3928-F4E3-44F6-B8A4-8CA6BE9C32CF.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Bow said:

I found the moon watch a bit big for my 6.5 wrists but I wouldn’t describe my wrist as particularly flat.

Looking at the photo again now though, I probably wouldn’t write it off completely although would more likely look at a reduced if I was heading that way.

BB3D3928-F4E3-44F6-B8A4-8CA6BE9C32CF.jpeg

The problem is partly the illusion caused by the relatively thin bezel and the large dial .... that looks huge, but because its large and partly because it looks larger than it is. This effect is perfectly illustrated by putting a Longines conquest at 41mm , next to 44mm Breitling Colt. The Longines looks bigger.

• Like 1

I had the racing and flipped ( to a forum mentioned) to buy the moon watch as it was a grail I had always wanted, they are both fantastic watches and would loved to have kept the racing but finances wouldn’t permit !

47514453-B5EE-45E1-A26E-EF49083A4DEF.jpeg

EDA209C6-3B6C-4D5F-B28D-318AA4A3E323.jpeg

So, I tried them on. No pictures unfortunately - but I was hugely surprised. I was firmly in the smaller reduced camp, but this didn’t seem all that different at all to the 38, which felt similar but with a less pleasing dial. So I will look for the real deal…thank you for the advice everyone 

• Like 3