• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Coolest watch functions?

So I'm a total tool bag and sucker for gimmicks on watches. The best things I've seen for watch functions are...

1. Regatta timer! There are some really great options here, from a cheapo Timex (Yacht Racer), vintage Memosail, affordable Alpina (Regatta Countdown), and high-end Heuer and TNG.

2. Rattrapante/Split Second chronograph! I've really only seen a couple, the Uber high-end mechanical Panerai and a quartz Farer Pendine, but there are others, such as Patek, Eberhard, Breitling vintage stuff etc.

3. Tide indicator! Utterly useless for most, but much like the regatta timers, specifically designed to be for those who enjoy water sports or are in water related professions. My favorite was from Corum (Admirals Cup Tide), but even Timex does one of these as well in their "Intelligent Quartz" lineup.

4. Moon phase! There are many of these out there, some are actual moon phase functions and others call them selves a moon phase, but they're really just day/night indicators. Of them all only a few have stood out to me. Maals Jump Over The Moon, which is a quartz piece with moon phase and a lookalike jumping hour design, though it's not technically a jumping hour, the appearance is very intriguing. The most beautiful I've seen, however, is the one I just ordered, MeisterSinger Lunascope! Both watches are single handed watches, but each performs it's time reading functions very differently.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 1

Here’s a watch with two of your four favourites on, Jay. The CvdK Real Moon Tides. 

It features a rotating 3-D moon which gives a realistic representation of what the moon actually looks like. All 2-D moon phases get it totally wrong in the gibbous phases. 

A3D57C59-A474-4CC8-96FD-6C78F2AF04FC.thumb.jpeg.98234cfb7f2d7837ae9b7030a68be32a.jpeg

Photo from Monochrome Watches

There is a cool animation on the website

My favourite cool function right now is the GMT with independently adjustable hour hand, and a Big Date that can be adjusted forward and backward through midnight with no damage to the movement. 

But you are probably getting fed up with me photographing and talking about that one. :laugh:

Edited by AVO
  • Like 3

I suppose it all depends on what someones idea of a cool function is, a tide indicator to me would be utterly pointless, a moonphase on a watch can be beautiful but again its not something most people would need, if its a function you genuinely use then yes some are 'cool', mostly they just add to a watches looks or can often even detract from it, thats why i just like a dial with a date window at most.

1 hour ago, sabailand said:

I suppose it all depends on what someones idea of a cool function is, a tide indicator to me would be utterly pointless

Funnily enough I have a tide indicator on one of mine and found it very useful for a quick glance at the state of the tide and whether my boat was afloat or not. :) Sometimes these functions can be very useful tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When you think about it..

Wondering if the moon is going to be waxing or waning, or if the tide is going in or out, or how fast your yacht is going or slowing, are things that you probably don't need as accessible as what time it is (except when you forget the country you need to know the time of is + or - 6 hours for example).

There are other things that we "might" need to know in the same regularity as the time. 

The ambient temperature.

The barometric air pressure.

Your height from sea level.

Your underwater pressure. (Too lazy to look up this terminology).

Some of these can be included on a watch but we only see them on "smart" watches. 

There are people buying mechanical devices worth tens of thousands of £'s $'s and we conquered that technology before electricity. 

TBH, you all should complain.. £20,000 for a watch that can't tell you what temperature it is? You need to look at your £500 phone to tell you if its going to rain.. your £20,000 watch struggles to tell you if its going to be a full moon tonight.

Edit.. two words..  Vacheron Constantine.. but you need a big pocket :tongue:

Just messing around :thumbsup:

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Haha 1

On 29/05/2021 at 08:56, AVO said:

Here’s a watch with two of your four favourites on, Jay. The CvdK Real Moon Tides. 

It features a rotating 3-D moon which gives a realistic representation of what the moon actually looks like. All 2-D moon phases get it totally wrong in the gibbous phases. 

A3D57C59-A474-4CC8-96FD-6C78F2AF04FC.thumb.jpeg.98234cfb7f2d7837ae9b7030a68be32a.jpeg

Photo from Monochrome Watches

There is a cool animation on the website

My favourite cool function right now is the GMT with independently adjustable hour hand, and a Big Date that can be adjusted forward and backward through midnight with no damage to the movement. 

But you are probably getting fed up with me photographing and talking about that one. :laugh:

I don't see Captain Birdseye wearing one of these, so I'm out! :thumbs_up:

1 minute ago, PaulBoy said:

I don't see Captain Birdseye wearing one of these, so I'm out! :thumbs_up:

Personally, I was never in. Not my sort of thing, but in any case – have you seen the flippin’ price?

2 minutes ago, AVO said:

Personally, I was never in. Not my sort of thing, but in any case – have you seen the flippin’ price?

No idea of the price, but I'd expect it to be a lot of fish fingers! :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, PaulBoy said:

No idea of the price, but I'd expect it to be a lot of fish fingers! :rolleyes:

Stainless steel version starting around 30,000 fishfingers used on Chrono24.

I have 2 Rattrapante Chronographs A Heuer and a Tag Heuer, a split second chrono, or dual chrono...

My Tag Heuer Rattrapante is a quartz all singing and dancing model

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

My Heuer Rattrapante is a Mechanical Stop Watch

DSC05899.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Edited by martinzx
typo
  • Like 1

My X-33 .... cool functions!

Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Day, Date, Month, Year. Perpetual calendar to 2099AD
Alarm
Countdown Timer
Chronograph – 1/100sec up to 99h 59′ 59″ 99/100"
Mission Elapsed Time (MT) – up to 999 days
Mission Elapsed Time Alarm (MA) – can be set for a specific mission event
Universal Time (UT) – including day number or “Julian” date
Universal Time Alarm (UA) – second alarm for a specific time & date independent of time zone

large.P2090357.JPG.f3f8960aaec182b8f5248172a94b208a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dapper said:

This is on the back of my Alpha 'Dual Timer':

1gzAiPz.jpg

Possibly non-functional & just decorative :yes:

A gravimeter is an instrument used to measure gravitational acceleration. Every mass has an associated gravitational potential. The gradient of this potential is a force. A gravimeter measures this gravitational force.

So if you go skydiving, you can strap your watch on backwards and measure gravitational pull v terminal velocity.

Don't quote me on that BTW..  im guessing. It might be decorative, it might not.. but that's a strange and cool function.

• Like 1