• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Winding the Smiths W10

I've inherited a 1970 Smiths W10 watch and not been able to find any guidance on winding.  So far I've been winding it ~12 per day and that generally sees through to the next day.  I'm reluctant to wind much more without getting a better sense of what it needs, so would greatly appreciate any informed or experience-based advice.  Are any original instructions for this watch publically available?

Assuming that Smiths W10 does not protect against over-winding (?) what is the risk that winding the exact amout each day will cumulatively overwind it over a longer period - e.g. if it requires 20 turns and you turn it 25 every dat, is the extra tension released or does it accumulate (in which case is it wise to let it fully unwind once a week)?

HdlPTXT.png

• Like 1

Just keep turning the winder until it stops.  The watch is then fully wound.  There's really no such thing as "over winding" but it is a generic term sometimes used to describe a watch that's broken for some other reason.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Just keep turning the winder until it stops.  The watch is then fully wound.  There's really no such thing as "over winding" but it is a generic term sometimes used to describe a watch that's broken for some other reason.

Thanks @rhaythorne. Just to clarify do you happen to know this is right for the Smiths 60466E movement of the W10, or is this a more general guideline?

It's true for any manually wound watch movement that's less than about 150 years old.  I can't be 100% sure about movements older than that as I've never owned any.

Once the mainspring is fully wound, you won't be able to turn the crown any more.  If you force it you'll probably break the crown off or snap the winding stem, but you'd have to be exceedingly clumsy to do that.  So, just turn the crown gently until it can't be turned further, and that's all there is to it.

Note that automatic wind watches have a special feature so that the crown never reaches an "end point" as such and can be turned continuously.  30-50 turns of the crown is usually sufficient to manually wind such watches.   

3 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

It's true for any manually wound watch movement that's less than about 150 years old.  I can't be 100% sure about movements older than that as I've never owned any.

Once the mainspring is fully wound, you won't be able to turn the crown any more.  If you force it you'll probably break the crown off or snap the winding stem, but you'd have to be exceedingly clumsy to do that.  So, just turn the crown gently until it can't be turned further, and that's all there is to it.

Note that automatic wind watches have a special feature so that the crown never reaches an "end point" as such and can be turned continuously.  30-50 turns of the crown is usually sufficient to manually wind such watches.   

OK I've just wound it till it stops, which confirms it!  Thanks again :)

4 hours ago, Herr Flick said:

OK I've just wound it till it stops, which confirms it!  Thanks again :)

Good advice from @rhaythorne

You probably noticed as you were getting closer to the stop point that the winding became a little stiffer, you will get to "feel" that point after a few winds