• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watches you won't buy because of connotations/stigma?

Are there any specific watches or even entire brands that you just cannot bring yourself to buy because of some particular connotations or sigma associated with them? 

For me, there are many brands I haven't purchased from because of the appearance of being low quality, such as Pulsar, but that wouldn't prevent me from buying one if something truly impressive came out or was discovered.

I've heard people say they would never buy a Rolex because of the elitist stigma around it. I can understand that thought process for sure, but I cannot say that I never would, because everyone copies the Submariner for a reason and if I could actually find one for a reasonable price I would certainly jump on it. Alas, such a thing will never happen.

What about you, anything you just cannot and will not purchase?

3 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

CW ,can’t get past the logo,I’m sure they a good pieces but I can’t see me owning one.

Completely understood. I felt the same way when they branded their dials Chr. Ward... That bothered me to no end. In general I despise brands with people's first and last names in them, but I finally got past that with Christopher Ward and now finally own one that I plan on keeping. I think because it's a very traditional Christian sounding name also, easy to pronounce and doesn't infer "Chinese". Lol

• Like 1

Some deeply held prejudices to air . . . . .

[rant mode]

Top of the list: Rolex.

1. They don't look that special at all to me.

2. I like to buy watches with nicely decorated movements on show via a display back.

3. I don't like the idea of wearing something that every other darling in the pub also has  --  or claims to have  --  (a million units per year  --  no thank you).

4. I don't see why I should contribute to their massive marketing expenditure  --  I can find my own "likes" thank you; I don't need to be told.

Second, Gerald Genta (and knock-offs)  --  specifically his "porthole" watches. (The French for porthole is hublot).

So, any watch with a small face surrounded by acres of pointless metal  --  Royal Oak, Nautilus, Loreato, etc.  --  not for me. It's a style thing.

Thirdly, homages.

I'm not very impressed by watches which market themselves as "icons"  --  but I'm even less impressed with "faithful copies".

[/rant mode]

• Like 2

I would not subject myself to ritual that is demanded to try to attempt to buy a Rolex these days ... too much self respect for that ... Also , there are a few brands with names that just make me recoil.... Raymond Weil is one , I know its in some ways illogical , but I can't be doing with that name ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very little to do with connotations or stigma, and nothing particularly to do with VFM either. To me it’s mainly down to whether I like the look, size, shape and function of a watch, and whether I can afford it. 

That said, there are brands like Tudor and Oris when I simply don’t see anything I like. 

I always see an extra four letters in front of ORIS. Sorry. :blush:

Edited by AVO
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, AVO said:

That said, there are brands like Oris when I simply don’t see anything I like. 
I always see an extra four letters in front of ORIS. Sorry. :blush:

But you don't like the brand  --  odd man :hmmm9uh:

3 minutes ago, yokel said:

But you don't like the brand  --  odd man :hmmm9uh:

Well, not on my wrist, no. I suspect Parnis might have the same effect. Come to think of it Halios would have me reaching for the mints.

Not much puts me off, if you went down that ethical route you'd be living in a field in an old Bedford van and sh!tting in a bucket. 

:biggrin:

I used to tell my mate, good lad but he is a proper little englander, that my U-Boat was actually made with steel from old U-Boats. 

Every time he saw me wearing it he nearly burst a blood vessel. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

Just now, AVO said:

Well, not on my wrist...

Strange that a name alone would deter someone from purchasing...

Home - Ulysses S. Grant Information Center - CSSLibraryGuides at The  College of St. Scholastica

Right-wing UK minister under fire for 'Islamophobic fake news' | Politics  News | Al Jazeera

:laugh:

If someone detested eating certain seafood or abhorred fishing, would it deter them from purchasing an Omega ?

:hmmm9uh:

I was going to go down the whole path of "wear what you like" then I stopped.

Why would someone wear crap aftershave when they want a date.?

Some people want to belong to a certain "group" and will go out their way to belong. Its a bit sad to wear and do what that group do in my opinion.

I am tempted, as a sociologist/psychologist to go into a large rant about cultures groups etc but the football is about to start..

So I say.. wear what you want.. if that makes you smell bad, then be safe in the knowledge of..

The footballs starting, I'll tell everyone the meaning of life later.. :thumbs_up:

• Haha 1

I have learnt to overcome my prejudices. 

I have owned a Hublot Big Bang, and it was quite good.  Too large for me, but a fellow dealer spotted it and wanted it.  Swaped for a Rolex Explorer II.

A lot of people have a hang up with Franck Muller.  But having owned a few they are one of my favourites now.

Ebel are another brand that people tend to avoid.  But I will buy them, as I have been impressed.  Same with Raymond Weil and even brands like Gucci and Maurice Lacroix.  Old Ellesse watches are incredible value when compared to similar TAG Heuers with the same spec/movement.

The ones I tend to avoid are marketing tie ups.  Breitling for Bentley, Raymond Weil Band watches (did David Bowie even wear a watch?), Domino Pizza Rolex Datejusts, Manchester United Bulova etc.  They leave me cold.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bricey said:

I thought this Swiss prided themselves on neutrality 

They do. But, if there is money to be made . . . . .

They probably also produced on with the Union Flag on, for balance don't you know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not quite in the same vein as some of the above, but I had one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CALVIN-KLEIN-Infinite-Automatic-watch-ETA-2824-2-Swiss-Made-NOS-classy-watch-/114821592840?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

And it was a lovely watch, wore nice, good weight, excellent time keeper, looked good and felt good, but being a massive weirdo I couldn't get past the fact that it had Calvin Klein on the dial, which is stupid I know but is almost certainly the reason I ended up selling it.